The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I HAVE WINNERED!

I sure showed my discovery who was boss this morning and set out for an early battle, taking it by total surprise and armed with nanocom... Discovery Cryptonite.

Deleted A.C.E, and erased stored fault for ABS solonoids which I modded last week. This destroyed the 3 amigos without breaking a sweat and took off the ACE warning (I've removed that system* from the car and fitted conventional roll bars).

Here's the proof!

IMG_20191102_102945076.thumb.jpg.9da4126fc9c95b94b70961a0ad9bbbaf.jpg

No black tape in here! I removed 5 bits of tape blanking out the warning lights, that includes the EML which was on a while back due to rubbish HT leads.

I also switched on daylight running lights, auto speed central locking, purged the ABS valve block and checked all the suspension, sensors and running operations.

Took it for a drive and for the first time we've owned this car, it's fault free and the brakes which have always been a bit shit, have transformed the car since fitting the new master last week and reactivating the TC and ABS today, both of which have never worked whilst dos tres amigos were present. Also downhill descent will work too so now I am going to find a mountain to drive down to test it...

Was the equipment worth the money? As it's worked and got rid of those sodding warning lights.... YES! That's how desperate these products make their owners!

At least now all faults and parameters can be read and analysed, no more are they metal boxes withholding dark secrets! 

Can't wait for all the lights to return tomorrow...

7 hours ago, Parky said:

In other news the daily now wears a matching set of Falken Ziex Ecoruns all round.  Quiet, fuel efficient and high wet weather grip should see me through the endless rain we are going to no doubt get between now and May.  One less thing for the MOT man to complain about anyway.  About the same price as Uniroyal Rainsports but quieter, better on fuel and apparently better in the wet.  Go figure.

I've been using those all round for a while now and have been through a set or two and they've been spot on.  No complaints.  Good tyres, good price and I get them from a local place that clearly isn't spending much on building maintenance.  Which keeps the cost down...

8 hours ago, Parky said:

I would be speaking to the manager advising him that trading standards, VOSA and the SMMT wouldn’t be impressed and a rebuilt engine at their expense would be a better idea than a court case.

In other news the daily now wears a matching set of Falken Ziex Ecoruns all round.  Quiet, fuel efficient and high wet weather grip should see me through the endless rain we are going to no doubt get between now and May.  One less thing for the MOT man to complain about anyway.  About the same price as Uniroyal Rainsports but quieter, better on fuel and apparently better in the wet.  Go figure.

Next up - new discs and pads with a fluid change.  Not a tricky job on a Seat Leon provided I can get the right discs - yes, my model year could be wearing one of three types and no, they aren’t compatible.  Anyone would think Renaults brake part buyer had moved to Spain....

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I've been using those all round for a while now and have been through a set or two and they've been spot on.  No complaints.  Good tyres, good price and I get them from a local place that clearly isn't spending much on building maintenance.  Which keeps the cost down...

Another +1 for the Falken tyres. Had a set on the Toyota about a year now, they are a really good budget tyre. Quiet, grippy and wearing very well. Going to get some for the Suzuki

Had plans today, instead spent the night listening to 100mph plus winds destroying the neighbourhood! Binns everywhere, fences flown away, sheds trashed and gaping holes in roofs. As the wind did drop but the rain persisted I spent the day watching 'Fast and Loud' on dmax. Good show :)

I did another buy today.  Only pic I've got and yet to collect it.  Thought I'd be sensible and view this one.

20191102_095859.thumb.jpg.fca04ad8d75e253a8f8dc8eb7a02f0da.jpg

It's a 535 V8.  Been wanting to try one of these 5-series for a while, but the big engine is a bonus.  Not much worse on fuel than the sixes apparently.  Looks nicely understated I reckon, and importantly (for me) the interior is beige.

So I need to sell stuff.  This will replace the S60, so if anyone wants a 2.0 turbo pez auto as a WBoD let me know!  New battery and alternator a couple of weeks ago, and MoT until 6th March.  Wears a full set of Michelin CrossClimates too (albeit they're down to about 4-5mm now I think).  £500?  Owes me double that over the 6 months I've owned it, as is often the way.

20190915_174951.thumb.jpg.ebead4fd243d7f828abc2abe3a5895bd.jpg

18 minutes ago, RobT said:

I did another buy today.  Only pic I've got and yet to collect it.  Thought I'd be sensible and view this one.

20191102_095859.thumb.jpg.fca04ad8d75e253a8f8dc8eb7a02f0da.jpg

It's a 535 V8.  Been wanting to try one of these 5-series for a while, but the big engine is a bonus......

As long as the Nikasil problem that affected the V8s has been sorted out.

I assumed so seeing as it's lasted this long.  I just looked over it briefly, judged the seller to be a decent sort and handed over a deposit.  It had sat unused for two weeks as he's bought a new car and it fired straight up.  Which is useful as, like the S60, it will often sit for a period and then suddenly have to do a long trip.

Stayed up all night watching MotoGP and it was almost worth it. There was a point during the night when I looked at Chester, laying on his bed between the sofa and the coffee table, his head on three pillows and a duvet pulled up to his chin. The little bastard looked soooooooo comfortable and indeed, was. I  invited him to go out for a wee about 6:00 and he just looked at me like I was deranged... perhaps he's right?

Anyway, being up and awake the sun made a welcome appearance and I took the dog out, then fitted my new rear spoiler and then Gummi Pflege'd all the seals, roof as well though I did  have a panic when I discovered the roof doesn't stay put and even though I'd stopped pressing buttons and taken the keys out and the bloody roof opened without any help from me or hydraulics though the bootlid stayed in 'air brake' mode.

Later, I washed the car.

God, my life is so very exciting! I do like the spoiler though and so easy to fit but a definite 'one shot' only job, sneeze at the wrong time and you could end up with the spoiler across the rear window and it would NEVER come off!

Accord coupe has passed the '250 mile round trip to see the folks test', only the 214 to have a go at it now (unlikely).

Accord also bagged the record  time for the trip down there, clocking in at 1 hr 55 mins, beating Google maps pessimistic 2 hr 10 mins by some considerable margin, and smashing* the 2 hr 00 min time set by the 620.

As posted in the l2b veteran run thread I drove down to West Sussex at first light today with no issues. Talking to 3 speed Chris though obviously cursed it. Driving back it started making the most odd noises. Seemingly near side front, a rubbery noise a that sounded like a tyre rubbing. But not all the time, mostly at low speed, but occasionally at 60ish. Loud ( pedestrians looking ) and Sounds like a rotation noise rather than ball joint ( £££) and seems to stop if brakes used. Brake pads, bearing, aux belt?

Disks and pads are only a couple of years old and tyres inflated properly.

Tyres look ok, wheels not particularly hot.  I’ve messaged my mechanic friend who is coming over this week to check. I Hope it’s not the n/s balljoint.