The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The replacement subframe and lower arms arrived for the 172 on Tuesday. However, garages are making it really difficult for me to arrange fitting of it. The latest is that I was in the middle of messaging a contact I had been provided who is an expert in fast Clios. He seemed happy to take it on but said he might not be able to do it until mid December. I suggested perhaps it would be easier for both if we made it January and also could he give me a rough idea on the cost of his labour to fit the new subframe with arms. He read my message just before 10am but I assumed he would be busy at work and I forgot all about it. I realised at about 10pm that he hadn't replied. Perhaps he just forgot. I'll try one more garage in Stirling who also come recommended and if I still have no joy then I don't know where to go from there. Not ideal.

9 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

The replacement subframe and lower arms arrived for the 172 on Tuesday. However, garages are making it really difficult for me to arrange fitting of it.

I must have missed it but what is wrong with the original subframe and lower arms? Scottish weather got the best of them?

1 hour ago, egg said:

Manual or auto Rob? (i don't know if auto was an option with these TBH...).

Well bought, just what you need!

It's a manual.  You know me, I'm normally a lazy arsed auto 'box user, but I'll happily make an exception here.

It's a one owner from new and an odd spec, being a V6 mid-range RT.  Cloth manual seats (good), but has cruise and climate control.  The giffer is to be applauded for his choices back in the day.  Ex Renault car club member too, and I'd wager it's been garaged all it's life.  Interior is mintola, albeit a sea of grey.

20191031_153916.thumb.jpg.2c201681362be062f51b29c18de68687.jpg

I drove it back to back with the S60 this evening and the gooner packs lots more punch, even though the difference is only 10bhp or something.  Must check the torque figures.  Plus the ride is better because not stupid low profiles.  In fact, I'm wondering if I should keep this a bit longer and roffle the S60 instead.

This car is a tour de force.

Until it breaks.  Place bets now.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Rob, that Laguna is superb.  I've fancied trying a 24v Mk1 for a while now.  I will definitely be participating in a roffle if one happens.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of you as I was thrashing it along an empty motorway link road.  Knowing how you don't hang about and all...

So I finally got round to doing an overdue oil change on my 924 today (taking the afternoon off was the only way it was going to get done, realistically). The oil filter on these couldn't be in a more inaccessible place - you can't see it at all from under the bonnet, and even when you get it up on ramps and take the under tray off,  you can't even see it from underneath either. It's cunningly hidden behind the crossmember, with the exhaust manifold and alternator providing further obstruction. I gather on RHD 924s they had to put in a right-angled adaptor to stop it fouling the steering column, but I doubt the original arrangement would have been any easier. Since I couldn't see what I was doing, my strap wrench wasn't much good, so I had to resort to unscrewing it by hand with a bit of sandpaper to give me some grip. Luckily it didn't put up too much of a fight.

Quite pleased with my new ramps though. Sealey CAR3000C plastic ones - a bit pricey and maybe not very high, but nice and wide with a shallow slope for easy ascents.

Not posted in a while due to life shake-ups. 

I now have a sort-of job/paid training/whatever in a bike shop that has the potential to become a full time position, and I'm done with my studies at least for now. That was a stroke of luck and it's keeping me afloat. Mental health is up and down but I'm a lot better on the whole than I have been for a while. 

Car wise, the Jag is used a couple times a week, and is unsettlingly reliable. Ideally it needs storing over winter though. I had plans for this but they fell through.

Volvo is reliable, doesn't ever set a foot wrong, but I'm now having to commute in it daily, 10 miles each way, a mixture of motorways and built up areas. It's averaging 23mpg, which after some research and querying, is bob on, sadly. There's no improvement to be had. 

In my fledgling adult life, I can't afford to take as many liberties any more, and a sensible daily driver is needed now to counterpart the Jag.  The Volvo is sadly no longer justifiable for me as my daily driver - I need something slightly smaller and more economical, but that can still fit a bicycle sometimes,  is still automatic, and most importantly, that I can insure; that's pure roulette now. I'm just hoping I don't have to get another Civic, as the prospect of one is looming over me like the backup car in a Top Gear special. And Civics are never simple.

Lamentably the T5 will be available for a bag if someone wants it. It's spot on mechanically, has a few marks cosmetically but is rust free. 

I need to sell the Volvo to release funds for anything else, so an ad might appear in the for sale forum soon. 

If anyone fancies a swap, if it's about £1k, decent on fuel and I can insure it, I might consider it. 

6 hours ago, SiC said:

I must have missed it but what is wrong with the original subframe and lower arms? Scottish weather got the best of them?

So the garage have said. However I'll have a look myself too as I think something happened at the garage as the owner is now super paranoid about suspension arms and subframes. Now I am too though.

4 hours ago, Ghosty said:

If anyone fancies a swap, if it's about £1k, decent on fuel and I can insure it, I might consider it. 

I'm not sure if I'm being entirely serious with this suggestion, but my '88 Sunny hatchback?! Does approaching 40mpg. I've never had a Volvo before, this is the estate one isn't it?

11 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The replacement subframe and lower arms arrived for the 172 on Tuesday. However, garages are making it really difficult for me to arrange fitting of it. The latest is that I was in the middle of messaging a contact I had been provided who is an expert in fast Clios. He seemed happy to take it on but said he might not be able to do it until mid December. I suggested perhaps it would be easier for both if we made it January and also could he give me a rough idea on the cost of his labour to fit the new subframe with arms. He read my message just before 10am but I assumed he would be busy at work and I forgot all about it. I realised at about 10pm that he hadn't replied. Perhaps he just forgot. I'll try one more garage in Stirling who also come recommended and if I still have no joy then I don't know where to go from there. Not ideal.

Chap got back to me, he did forget after all, glad I didn't badger him. Offered an extremely reasonable price to change everything out, he must enjoy* working on Clios! Booked in for Mid-January :)

Last night in Manchester before heading back down south via the Peak District and Kent. Had a great time and I’m not as useless with newborn babies as i has thought.

We somehow managed to fit me, the wife, niece and her nipper in a travel seat plus a pram, baby change bag in the ignis this afternoon on a day out to Bramall Hall. And fit 3 bags of shopping in on way back.

23 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I now have a sort-of job/paid training/whatever in a bike shop that has the potential to become a full time position, and I'm done with my studies at least for now. That was a stroke of luck and it's keeping me afloat. Mental health is up and down but I'm a lot better on the whole than I have been for a while. 

Car wise, the Jag is used a couple times a week, and is unsettlingly reliable. Ideally it needs storing over winter though. I had plans for this but they fell through.

Volvo is reliable, doesn't ever set a foot wrong, but I'm now having to commute in it daily, 10 miles each way, a mixture of motorways and built up areas. It's averaging 23mpg, which after some research and querying, is bob on, sadly. There's no improvement to be had. 

In my fledgling adult life, I can't afford to take as many liberties any more, and a sensible daily driver is needed now to counterpart the Jag.  The Volvo is sadly no longer justifiable for me as my daily driver - I need something slightly smaller and more economical, but that can still fit a bicycle sometimes,  is still automatic, and most importantly, that I can insure; that's pure roulette now. I'm just hoping I don't have to get another Civic, as the prospect of one is looming over me like the backup car in a Top Gear special. And Civics are never simple.

Lamentably the T5 will be available for a bag if someone wants it. It's spot on mechanically, has a few marks cosmetically but is rust free. 

I need to sell the Volvo to release funds for anything else, so an ad might appear in the for sale forum soon. 

Yay happy to see a post from you again :) im glad to hear things are getting better :)

23 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I need something slightly smaller and more economical, but that can still fit a bicycle sometimes,  is still automatic, and most importantly, that I can insure;

get a Model 70? :mrgreen: its much smaller than the volvo, gets about 35-50Mpg, is automatic and the Bicycle can go where the wheelchair normally goes! (especially if its one of those fold up jobbies)

News of a broken Japanese car nature.

Lad at work took his ep3 type r in for an issue with the VTEC.

Needed new solenoids or something.

Whilst it was in there they took it for a twat round the block

WITH NO FUCKING OIL IN IT.

So it's now making a horrific clattering racket.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, iainrcz said:

News of a broken Japanese car nature.

Lad at work took his ep3 type r in for an issue with the VTEC.

Needed new solenoids or something.

Whilst it was in there they took it for a twat round the block

WITH NO FUCKING OIL IN IT.

So it's now making a horrific clattering racket.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

What did the silly buggers think would happen+

I would be speaking to the manager advising him that trading standards, VOSA and the SMMT wouldn’t be impressed and a rebuilt engine at their expense would be a better idea than a court case.

In other news the daily now wears a matching set of Falken Ziex Ecoruns all round.  Quiet, fuel efficient and high wet weather grip should see me through the endless rain we are going to no doubt get between now and May.  One less thing for the MOT man to complain about anyway.  About the same price as Uniroyal Rainsports but quieter, better on fuel and apparently better in the wet.  Go figure.

Next up - new discs and pads with a fluid change.  Not a tricky job on a Seat Leon provided I can get the right discs - yes, my model year could be wearing one of three types and no, they aren’t compatible.  Anyone would think Renaults brake part buyer had moved to Spain....

I pm'd you yesterday morning

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk