The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Waterpump change..

Dam fiddly diddly to get to the bolts, as not much room, so working blind, the old water pump sticks into block so a tap with a hammer and block of wood,  lining up the holes is annoyingly fruststrating, need child like hands, topped up water etc and fired it up..

Test drive soon to buy some for antifreeze, fingers crossed.

20191024_150827.jpg

20191024_150820.jpg

20191024_143936.jpg

35 minutes ago, sims00 said:

Bums.

Coolant pipe under manifold has split and pissed coolant everywhere when I was on route to work. I had noticed the last 2 days my coolant was low, and I'd never overheated so I suspected a leak. Confirmed the other day when I saw the temp creep just a smidge past half, I pulled over immediately.  Steamy goodness awaited me in the engine bay. I had it booked in anyway for a couple of minor jobs so meh, it's fine. Used Lord Sterling's highly recommend garage and I can honestly say they are brilliant.

New genuine BMW rocker gasket, new genuine BMW coolant pipe and proper G11 spec BMW coolant refresh.(previous owner used aftermarket gasket and tbh, I've never liked aftermarket covers, they always leak eventually)

Oh and I had bad luck, the mass air flow sensor broke up internally, but he sourced me a good quality new one at less than the price I could have managed myself! At least the car has had some tlc and will be back with me again wafting around. Brilliant motor, it's only wear and tear stuff so not the end of the world.

IMG_20191021_160931.jpg

Shit man. Should've told me you were going to Mahmouds, could have met you there. Mahmoud still has my BMW, did you see it there?

8 hours ago, barefoot said:

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you mean 'Cortina'.

I'm talking about the green Toyota Caldina station wagon behind and to the left of the Daihatsu in the centre of the photo.

The Caldina was a small/medium family station wagon made by Toyota from the early 1990's through about 2006 (? I think) - same market as the Cortina, but not quite the same thing. ;)

9 minutes ago, louiepj said:

Just diving through the back room storage in the family cottage and came across this.
Hate cleaning and clearing rooms but at least there interesting bits to be found.
028c8d9328ab2424a5e3ee61f3fba839.jpgb7fac750c3950f884c06bc6d64f81cd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

how old is this?

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

how old is this?

35 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

The coins were given away with fuel purchases up to a certain value 

1970 - 71

32 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

......I never got the full set and don't know what has happened to them now.

They probably blanking off some carburettors somewhere.....

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I nagged both my father and Grandfather to get these for me. I never got the full set and don't know what has happened to them now.

I've got a similar one (or maybe a reissue) from the late seventies / early eighties. Full set I think.

On the back of someone annoying the fuck out of me with stupid questions about the Peugeot scooter, I had a bit of a go at trying to start it this afternoon. 

Had a spark, both from a random spare plug, and the one that was in it, plus fuel is getting past the in-line filter. Having cleaned the plug it ran, so I revved it and it sounded great. Stopped it (by key) started again, stopped it (by key) and then tried the kick start (which did nothing) then started it again. Took a couple of goes but was ticking over really nicely, then stopped after a minute or two and won't go again. I suspect fuel, had added some nice fresh petrol, but perhaps the carb needs to come off? Going to leave it until tomorrow then try again, in the hope that it will start and I can leave it ticking over until it's used all or most of the fuel.

IMG_20191025_154227.thumb.jpg.3c12e16ef821a755213288a98bf31824.jpg

Lost the nearside front indicator on the merc on the way home. I didn’t realise until I needed to indicate left and the bulb failure lit up with the remaining bulbs doing double time.  I do know where it was though, I just thought I’d hit a can. Will go back on the bike tomorrow and have a search. If nothing else, I can use the bulb again. 

I’ve just ordered a £8.99 replacement from eBay ( car parts saver, which I think is eurocarparts?).

Edit, yes, it is. The PayPal receipt has just come and says euro cp.

33 minutes ago, sims00 said:

Got the 523i back from the garage and it runs smoother! Think the MAF must have been on the way out. God I missed it, it's such a beautifully kept motor. Mahmoud is an absolute gent, his garage and team are absolutely top class. I've never before had such blind faith in a garage as I do his now. Will be getting a full ATF filter and fluid change sorted with him next month too. Glad to be driving it again though, such a quality thing.

Sorry I couldn't meet you. Got roped into a mission to Nuneaton with a mate 'cus he wanted to pick up some speakers for his BMW 1-Series.

I rather like this van.  I've had several Sevel Nord vans in the past, but they've all been saddled with the hopeless DW8 engine - this one has the 110bhp DW10 2.0 HDI (or rather JTD 'cos Fiat) and it's a completely different animal.  It's quieter, more economical, the gearing is far more sensible and the performance is more than adequate.  It's also the first one I've had with electric windows (switches in the roof console, like an aeroplane) and functioning central locking.

It needs some fettling - first orders of business are that the heater blower doesn't work (and apparently the heater doesn't put out much in the way of warmth either) and the front brake pads are very low.  The speedo is dead, although that's less of an issue as I just used my sat nav, and it could also do with a new diesel filter.  Everything else seems OK though, and wonder of wonders, it even has decent wiper blades, which is a major rarity on my eBay purchases for some reason.

The seller was a very nice chap who has a unit on an industrial estate near Witney where he makes a living restoring vintage Rolls Royces - when I turned up he had a 1924 Ghost which was undergoing some minor tweaks following a trip to Switzerland after a full restoration, a 1926 20HP which was in the early stages of resto, an XK120 under a tarp, and the body off a Phantom III.  All far, far beyond my means obvs, but he made me a coffee and we had a natter about old cars while I made a fuss of his collie.  11/10 would buy shonky old van from again.

Wales is a bit damp... Had to drive through a hefty-ish flood to get home last night, didn’t see it until we were practically in it, and gave everyone a lesson on how not to drive through a flood. Anyway all was well we didn’t stall or cut out, and got home fine.

This morning I’m getting a small amount of steam from the radiator... 

Just floodwater drying off I hope... about drive to the midlands!!! 

Lambretta's back from the garage. Had a helicoil, new cables, new clutch, back brake shoes, various seals and gaskets and new exhaust studs. Typically, it's absolutely bombing down, so no test ride yet. There was a 1964 Triumph Tina 100 for sale in there too, looked fantastic and quite tempting.

Went to pick up my friends from the railway station at Chateau du Loir. As I entered the town I passed 4 red/white UK registered 2CVs all wearing Deux Cheveaux Challenge plates. Despite me being in a RHD UK registered car, and flashing the headlights, all 4 completely ignored my waves, miserable barstewards.

My flight from Portland to Amsterdam got hit by a massive 3 hour delay...meaning I miss my Connecting flight to Aberdeen. And looking got seems the only Sunday flight to Aberdeen that isn’t fully booked is the one I was due to get....

So I’ll A) Get pinnballed about the place till I get home, or B ) Hopefully get a free stay in the Netherlands again. 
I’m hoping option B!