The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

43 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

There's a glut of Fly Agaric as well....

Mmmm. Muscarine.

the above penny bun mushrooms were on a village green with a handful of old oak trees on it. Along with various Amanita fungi - panther caps, blushers, death caps and what i think is A. Excelsa.

Near side driveshaft turned up, so thought weather was stable, so decided I'd crack on, well the bolts for shaft to box flange are yzn and bastard tight, took almost 2 hours get undone, couple looked like gonna strip head, but slowly levered them, I guess the cv is knackered..lol..

And annoyingly the new shaft don't come with 6 new bolts, no way I'm using the 6 original crap ones, awaiting response from j and r !!

S

20191023_151351.jpg

20191023_152922.jpg

20191023_144342.jpg

20191023_145535.jpg

20191023_144352.jpg

20191023_161916.jpg

20191023_144339.jpg

I was going to whip the driveshaft off the GTV this evening, have been looking forward to getting cracking on it all day.  Managed to jack it up and remove a wheel before it started pissing down... still, at least I've got a tatty old car sat on axle stands outside my house again.  I'm sure my neighbours have been missing that.

7 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Mmmm. Muscarine.

the above penny bun mushrooms were on a village green with a handful of old oak trees on it. Along with various Amanita fungi - panther caps, blushers, death caps and what i think is A. Excelsa.

West Sussex is the only place I've found Penny Buns. And Hedgehog fungus, and Death Caps. Yum, Yum, No Thanks.

I remember one forest north of West Durrington full of Amanita Muscaria with fields full of the Silly Psybin, Though I don't do that kind of thing now of course, what with family and that. Even though I live next to a silly psybin field.

Egg - I did take the maglev. 'Only' ran up to 300kmh rather than the advertised 430. At one point, we were racing a jumbo jet...

LBF - it was indeed Simon on that show. Only a brief mention, no time for much detail.

Now in New Zealand, utterly, utterly broken. Fell asleep watching YouTube and I think that half-hour of kip was the most I've managed to string together since Monday night. Something last night disagreed with my insides, which is not something you want to discover when 7hours from your destination, in a window seat. On a flight that's so turbulent that the seat belt light rarely goes out (at which point they tell you to stay in your seat). Got through it somehow. The poor German girls sitting next to me didn't enjoy my belching. I tried to be subtle about it, but you could cut the air around me with a knife. I've definitely had better travelling experiences.

Still, I'm here now, and don't need the assistance of a plane until January. Here are some Japanese cars I actually recognise.

EHnMOPyUUAAQdsV.jpg 

My AirBNB host apparently drives a Ssang Yong Rodius.

9 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Don’t blame me for the housing crisis. It’s why I’ll never own property. As for the area, it’s a pretty good price, stupid though it is,

Did you know that there are spaces above shops that are empty, which could be converted into flats, with the right investment and permissions? Apparently at least 250,000 across the UK. 

Did you know that there are 250,000 empty homes which have been empty for more than 6 months ?

Do you know how many homeless ( as opposed to rough sleepers ) there are ? 

Me neither.  Who to blame for the housing crisis ? Start with Thatcher and work forward to Boris and every Prime minister shares as much blame as the next. 

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Egg - I did take the maglev. 'Only' ran up to 300kmh rather than the advertised 430. At one point, we were racing a jumbo jet...

LBF - it was indeed Simon on that show. Only a brief mention, no time for much detail.

Now in New Zealand, utterly, utterly broken. Fell asleep watching YouTube and I think that half-hour of kip was the most I've managed to string together since Monday night. Something last night disagreed with my insides, which is not something you want to discover when 7hours from your destination, in a window seat. On a flight that's so turbulent that the seat belt light rarely goes out (at which point they tell you to stay in your seat). Got through it somehow. The poor German girls sitting next to me didn't enjoy my belching. I tried to be subtle about it, but you could cut the air around me with a knife. I've definitely had better travelling experiences.

Still, I'm here now, and don't need the assistance of a plane until January. Here are some Japanese cars I actually recognise.

EHnMOPyUUAAQdsV.jpg 

My AirBNB host apparently drives a Ssang Yong Rodius.

Welcome to New Zealand! A Warehouse and a Daihatsu - what a familiar sight! 

But look at that Caldina in the background :-D !

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

And a Toyota Blaze on the right that I've only just learnt about. An enlarged Auris with either a 2.4 four banger or a 3.5 V6!

10 minutes ago, Essex V6 said:

There are quite a few of those Blades knocking about. Would have thought they would be a wee bit nose heavy

I've driven both a 2.4 litre Blade, and a 3.5 litre Blade. The 2.4, though very pleasant and comfortable - very wafty - is a bit staid, having a CVT gearbox. 

On the other hand, the 3.5 is terrific fun - with a 6-speed automatic ("Real" gears) - almost too much fun. On the test drive (I was looking at buying one), I put my foot hard down in second gear - at around 25KMH - and was able to spin the tyres !  If I could afford the fuel usage, I would definitely have one as a daily car. 

.....I guess that's why car dealers are reluctant to let young drivers test powerful cars :D (I promise I don't drive like that normally, at all). 

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Cool, shame it didn't hit top speed - but that's still just about as fast as any train in Europe...

https://www.railway-technology.com/features/feature-the-10-fastest-high-speed-trains-in-europe/

Discovered my car has heated seats. No great surprise to anyone with more I.Q. than a rusty clockwork slow-worm but a hell  of a surprise to an inbred idiot with the observation of Mr Magoo! I use the airscarf all the time and the button for the seat heaters are right next to the button for the airscarf so how did I mss it?

34 minutes ago, Fat_Pirate said:

Didn't follow the link in the email, did you?  That sounds like a phishing scam.

That's the thing, no link in the email!

Finally got through to Screwfix's website and I apparently did buy two drill bits this morning from a store in Tunbridge Wells according to my account history. Impressive as I was both asleep and 450 miles away.

I phoned them up and it appears to be an admin error as it was both ordered and paid for in cash at the store.

23 hours ago, SRi05 said:

The 406 decided to flirt with me this morning by displaying ANTI POLLUTION FAULT and throwing an EML driving to work this morning. From googling it could be any generic fault, despite me immediately thinking emissions. Way to go Frenchies. Looking forward to digging out my finest* Chinese 15 quid from Amazon obd diagnostic equipment later, it's been a while ? 

EXCITING UPDATE 

Faulty 02 sensor. Thankfully a cheap fix! 

Skoda Storyboard (believe an official site) remind us that the first of 1,401,500 Felly's left the factory this month 25 years ago.

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/models/number-of-the-month-1401500/

The first-mass produced FELICIA was completed in Mladá Boleslav just after 10 o’clock in the morning on 17 October 1994. A follow-up to the FAVORIT and FORMAN, it was actually an all-new vehicle. Production required the use of 1,187 brand-new components.

skoda-felicia-model-old-red-promo.jpg