The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, RobT said:

The alternator in my S60 packed up last weekend.  Being 100 miles away I needed recovery home, and Autoaid did the job.  Kiltok of this parish also assisted by giving up his Sunday morning and helping with diagnostics.  A+ shiter, cheers m8.

£73 later for a refurbed replacement and I was dreading doing it, but cracked on today.  Ancillaries moved/removed.

20191020_123234.thumb.jpg.be452bf67bd485c7feeac921c7e808af.jpg

20191020_123336.thumb.jpg.3dd473b2eeaffa490457a257290dbb4b.jpg

Interesting* photo of the shiny new one in situ.

20191020_170141.thumb.jpg.f9b85caf26ca514352a24ebc61c87d18.jpg

Despite the fact it took me all fuggin' day because I'm a slow coach, there were no major dramas and the process was quite logical.  Thank you Volvo.  I was almost afraid to start the car in case the aux belt shredded or slipped off, but all seems well.

Now the electric boot release doesn't work, but I'll leave that for another day.  I also noticed it needs a ball joint, after investigating the occasional front end knock last week.  It never bloody stops, does it. 

However, I mustn't forget this car took us to Sweden and back recently without fault, so I feel lucky the alternator decided to shat itself in Lechlade rather than Malmo...

Is that belt fitted the right way round?

Or am i missing something?

5 hours ago, andy18s said:

Is that belt fitted the right way round?

Or am i missing something?

There are grooves either side, as it loops around various pulleys.  I think the way it goes over the alternator means it has to be.

@wuvvum I'm sure you know this already, but the internet recommends getting the more robust XC90 strut top mount and bush as a replacement.  From memory it was only a few quid more.  I wimped out and gave that job to my mechanic.

In the undercover parking at the other half’s apartment, I saw this in the space next to hers

54468DD3-DE5A-4305-9B1F-3C607A2A0A4B.thumb.jpeg.c989b946a17272a2af8166d04b3182d5.jpeg
The grill and way the cover sits around the front wings caught my eye, as well as the long bonnet. Asked her about it and said it’s been parked there undercover for as long as she’s been here (a few years) which got me interested. More so as could see the years of cobwebs around the wheels.
Im respectful so as much as I wanted to lift the cover a bit for a peek I resisted, also it’s rural USA and I don’t fancy getting shot. But had an idea of what it could be...

Yesterday it was clear so have a quick walk around and my suspicions were correct, as could make out the badge under the cover!

69C53C4F-AE69-43A5-ACFC-B19E1A32FBB0.thumb.jpeg.3594821a527910ef485fb38b09d13399.jpeg
I’m 99% sure it’s a early model of the 2000’s gen Maserati Quattroporte! :D

Considering the fact this is rural Oregon, my guess is bought cheap, something broke and now it’s became a 2 tonne luxobarge paperweight as it’s too much to repair? Low cost, but liability much? 

Third FTP in 30 months for the Streetwise. Poor little thing hardly gets driven these days so now the weather's gotten cold the battery threw a hissy fit last night. Swapped for a fully charged one this morning and all's good in the hood again. That was my reward* for sorting out the rattling heat shield on Saturday afternoon

Shall kowtow to its demands with a commute or two into work for the rest of the week.

Lovely to meet lord sterling today. He really suited the vectra has he drove off in the direction of camp cavcraft. So the fleet is now a modern appliance for family duties and the celica fir polishing and fiddling with. In for mot on thursday . Should be fine. New wheels fitted and polished courtesy of no 1 son. 

20191022_145834.jpg

17 hours ago, skattrd said:

Not really news, but potential news... There are two cars on my ebay watch list which I am considering bidding on tomorrow. No spoilers, but they have a few things in common, both being many hours away by train and £70 being the cheapest advance split ticket train fare away. 

Ok, so I need to start planning logistics to erm, Peterhead, that's basically Norway innit?

43 minutes ago, taxi paul said:

Lovely to meet lord sterling today. He really suited the vectra has he drove off in the direction of camp cavcraft. So the fleet is now a modern appliance for family duties and the celica fir polishing and fiddling with. In for mot on thursday . Should be fine. New wheels fitted and polished courtesy of no 1 son. 

20191022_145834.jpg

That's a beaut! 

this Maserati kamsin  is outside at the moment, heading to Olympia for the Sotheby's sale.

I particularly like the description of recent commissioning.

Receipts totaling £29,461.40 for parts and labour dated 9 August 2019 by McGrath Maserati, a copy of the nine-page invoice exhaustively detailing the recommissioning of this Khamsin, is available for inspection. Unusually, it was fitted from new with a tow bar along with a stainless-steel exhaust system, the only known deviations from factory specs.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf19/london/lots/r0056-1976-maserati-khamsin-by-bertone/817765

2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

this Maserati kamsin  is outside at the moment, heading to Olympia for the Sotheby's sale.

I particularly like the description of recent commissioning.

Receipts totaling £29,461.40 for parts and labour dated 9 August 2019 by McGrath Maserati, a copy of the nine-page invoice exhaustively detailing the recommissioning of this Khamsin, is available for inspection. Unusually, it was fitted from new with a tow bar along with a stainless-steel exhaust system, the only known deviations from factory specs.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf19/london/lots/r0056-1976-maserati-khamsin-by-bertone/817765

Is this picture taken outside your office?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf19/london/lots/r0064-2011-ferrari-458-challenge/819167

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yes, loads of these Sotheby's cars.

They're loading le mans cars at the moment - Porsche, jag  and Maserati and the toy car.

The ex jean alesi Ferrari. estimate 1.4-1.8 million. https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf19/london/lots/r0001-1994-ferrari-412-t1/763351

20191022_160239.jpg

2 hours ago, skattrd said:

Ok, so I need to start planning logistics to erm, Peterhead, that's basically Norway innit?

Norway is probably easier to get to!

Bus or (expensive) taxi from Aberdeen the only options. I am in France until the beginning of next month but happy to help with a lift after that if it suits.

Thanks for the offer Saabnut, I'd prefer to collect it a little early, so am trying to concoct a plan going up this weekend. 
Suddenly I'm regretting buying lots of tickets in the Yaris roffle, but hey ho, what's the worst that could happen ….. :lol: