The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, chancer said:

They do seem to get under your skin. As soon as i had sold the one i bought off jonathan_dyane i missed it and went searching for another...

It was my first car.  I chucked it around local lanes with wild abandon.  With 59BHP, you can't really get yourself into too much trouble.

Wasn't great on the motorway runs to Lancaster from Gravesend but as a local runaround, it was great.  I'd have another.

5 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

It was my first car.  I chucked it around local lanes with wild abandon.  With 59BHP, you can't really get yourself into too much trouble.

Wasn't great on the motorway runs to Lancaster from Gravesend but as a local runaround, it was great.  I'd have another.

The trouble is that you can use every little bit of power all the time....they really love a bend in the road

On Sunday I did some arsing about with batteries, in an attempt to get the whole fleet starting reliably without actually forking out any cash.  I took the shagged battery off the Maxus, intending to replace it with the bargain 95ah battery I nabbed off Gumtree for a tenner a couple of months back.  Unfortunately, although the battery fitted in the space OK, with the terminals being the wrong way round the leads weren't long enough to fit.  So on to Plan B - nick the battery off the CX for the van (same size, nominally 5 fewer ah and 40 fewer CCA but a Bosch battery rather than the Hoo Flung Dung one that was on the van originally), then fit the Gumtree battery to the CX.  That just about fit - the earth lead could do with being a few inches longer so the battery sits at a slight angle on the tray, but it's on, it's not going anywhere and it starts the car a treat. 

The CX's battery needed a bit of assistance from the V70 initially to start the van (the CX hasn't been used much) but with a bit of charge in it it seemed fine - I went out to the van this evening and again it started first flick of the key, so I'm going to file that one under "sorted".  I just wish the van wasn't such a fussy bugger when it comes to batteries - seems to be a bit of a VM trait though.  I stuck the van battery on charge for 24 hours and it's only reading 10.8v, so that's definitely had it.  I was however able to resurrect the old battery which had been on the Audi 80 (which was replaced by the battery from the Rover of Doom, which in turn was replaced by an 063 battery I bought on special offer from ECP) enough that it now starts the 164 OK.  So every member of the fleet is now on the button.  Every four-wheeled member anyway - the Spacy's battery has also given up the ghost.

The clonk from the Volvo's front suspension has got worse, and it's also now got an occasional wobble through the steering, which is rather worrying.  I'm going to have to investigate more thoroughly at the weekend - it really doesn't feel safe to drive at the moment.  Annoyingly I've already bought it a drop link as initially that's what I thought the issue was - I now suspect it's something more major than that...

Good evening USA, my choice of “mystery choice” for the rental paid off in price only. Cheapest option and you got a “compact or above”...

28647594-083F-462A-9A99-13D200859204.thumb.jpeg.61fd048c3b0a07b549ea9f05736060a8.jpeg

Nissan Sentra, it’s a smaller Altima...which is what I had last time. 

Shame, as there was a nice white Cascada at the office. One can dream...

@jonathan_dayane (didn't feel like clogging up the thread quoting)- that looks similar to the way mk1 focus's rot in that area; a longwinded n intricate sort of welding job- I sacked off doing it on my mates mk1,5 focus in that area on both sides of the boot floor; the strut towers were also cornflake consistency after hammer strike testing... his also had sill perorations so the car got condemned; anyways fair play for metal kitting all that back together; looks like a decent job...  

4 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Good evening USA, my choice of “mystery choice” for the rental paid off in price only. Cheapest option and you got a “compact or above”...

28647594-083F-462A-9A99-13D200859204.thumb.jpeg.61fd048c3b0a07b549ea9f05736060a8.jpeg

Nissan Sentra, it’s a smaller Altima...which is what I had last time. 

Shame, as there was a nice white Cascada at the office. One can dream...

US Rental Car Roulette is quite a fun game.  We ended up with a RAV4.  A car I would never buy or drive by choice but actually made sense on American roads...

Partner has decided she doesn't like the saab. Not comfy or very fast. Not sure where she gets the not fast from. I think it flies although it is very short geared. I told her she doesn't like it because it's not a volvo. I'm on the look out for a decent d5/t5 for a swap or will add cash for a good one. Not bothered if v70, s60 etc.

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

Partner has decided she doesn't like the saab. Not comfy or very fast. Not sure where she gets the not fast from. I think it flies although it is very short geared. I told her she doesn't like it because it's not a volvo. I'm on the look out for a decent d5/t5 for a swap or will add cash for a good one. Not bothered if v70, s60 etc.

Tell her to buy her own bloody car, then!

Jesus wept.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, barefoot said:

I forgot to mention it last week but my Scirocco failed its MOT on metal...

Well, the bit of metal that it failed on was actually a couple of teeny tiny bits of metal, one on each side. They were just a bit awkward to get to, underneath the bodykit where the back of the sills meets the front of the inner wheel-arch, but Mick the MIG has managed a sterling job. Sadly the replacement driveshaft was just as fucked as the original, just in a very slightly different way so it wasn't fitted and the high speed vibration presumably still remains. On a more positive note the Corrado seats were an easy swap and the old shed is looking...

Every bit as shed like as it did before. It's just a bit nicer to sit in.

MOT time for the Vectra tomorrow! Booked it in for morning but I assume I'll be there aaaaaaaaaaaaalll day tomorrow.  Probably get home at about 7pm.

Blue Micra needs to be moved off driveway so need to find somewhere to keep it. Gonna have a chat with Ma Sterling. Does anyone have some covered storage located in the Midlands?

Saab now befitted with original registration and hoovered out ready for her new owner. I will wash on the morning of collection as garage is very very dusty.

Meanwhile cured tiny triangle of doom on SooZooKey by fitting a 23" wiper blade to driver's side, need a 20 or 21" for passenger side now. Big driver's wiper is also because my eyeline is just inside the swept area with standard size.