The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

32 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

It's grim today but wasn't actually raining so I thought I'd best fit the headlight I bought for the 405 six weeks ago.  Hadn't even unwrapped it so was happy it was in one piece.IMG_20191013_142053044_HDR.thumb.jpg.528169d5a57acf09bca8e83c5f403f5a.jpg

Oh FFS, checked eBay and yes I'd ordered the wrong one.  So put that away and ordered a driver's side one.

Ah I remember a job that's too noisy for an evening.  Impact driver, check.  17mm socket, check. Brew, check.  Gearbox from 6 cylinders ATV check.

IMG_20191013_143843636.thumb.jpg.570475be35481f34f19330751737e7b0.jpg

And much noise later the CVT thingamybob is off.

IMG_20191013_143911278.thumb.jpg.db30695eb04d199291846c1c3b828da2.jpg

Which means I can take the cracked casting off.

IMG_20191013_151330528.thumb.jpg.629bd909a2934adffea61110eb2c8bd8.jpg

I've texted the blacksmith to see if I can leave the bearings in as I can't see myself getting them out in reusable condition.

It's almost progress ?

I now see what you are working on!

5 hours ago, 320touring said:

Enjoy the misery.

I doubled back when walking the other day, just so I could give "the finger" to one that was parked up.

Ooh, did you have a bad experience with one of these 320T? ;)

It doesn't seem too bad so far.  It's an earlyish one in a lowish spec so no aircon, keep fit windows in the back and a boggo 1.4 Polo engine under what passes for the bonnet - none of your fancy direct injection stuff here.  So it's not exactly quick, but it's adequate, helped by the light weight.  The roads were far too wet and far too infested with Sunday drivers for me to be able to give the handling a proper test, but initial impressions aren't too bad - it certainly turns in a lot more keenly than any other Audi I've driven.

It has two main issues - a knocking from the front over bumps which sounds like it could be a drop link, and a tendency to stutter a bit when driving at a constant speed on a lightish throttle.  I've plugged my laptop in and it's come up with a MAP sensor fault, so that'll be my first port of call.  Hopefully it won't be too difficult to access.  Interestingly the lass selling the car actually knew how to take the bonnet off and put it back on again - I suspect she's probably in a minority of young female A2 owners in that respect (not wanting to stereotype or owt...).  Other than that the seats need a good clean (she had a smoll child which probably spilled things), but that's more or less it.  For what I paid I'm not disappointed.  Yet.

Tried to fit a new heater panel to the Vectra the other day. The current one needs a minor whack on the side to get it blowing air. So I bougjt another one off eBay for £cheaps. However, new panel is from a higher spec Vectra C but had different connections on the back. Yeah thanks Vauxhall ?

Mine: top, newer panel: bottom.

20191013_212636.thumb.jpg.2b7f70a58e204d3b0e54d59e9dc7b281.jpg

Difference:

20191013_212652.thumb.jpg.6d117fd9e57ebf2addcef91578179592.jpg

Its even better built, I mean really.

Ordered another one from the same spec vehicle as mine. This had better work. I know a new resistor pack has been put in already. If it doesn't work I'll have to look into the blower motor itself. 

26 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

Tried to fit a new heater panel to the Vectra the other day. The current one needs a minor whack on the side to get it blowing air. So I bougjt another one off eBay for £cheaps. However, new panel is from a higher spec Vectra C but had different connections on the back. Yeah thanks Vauxhall ?

Mine: top, newer panel: bottom.

20191013_212636.thumb.jpg.2b7f70a58e204d3b0e54d59e9dc7b281.jpg

Difference:

20191013_212652.thumb.jpg.6d117fd9e57ebf2addcef91578179592.jpg

Its even better built, I mean really.

Ordered another one from the same spec vehicle as mine. This had better work. I know a new resistor pack has been put in already. If it doesn't work I'll have to look into the blower motor itself. 

The bottom one is for a car with climate control. The temperature numbers and the A on the fan speed for Auto is the big give away... ;)

It will be different as it has sensors and more to do. 

23 minutes ago, SiC said:

The bottom one is for a car with climate control. The temperature numbers and the A on the fan speed for Auto is the big give away... ;)

It will be different as it has sensors and more to do. 

Couldn't see the 'A' in the picture in the advert. Plus there was no picture of the rear to check against mine.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Thread on the ka please!!! Deserves one IMO but I’m a big ka fan.

I'll try and get one together. To be honest its a crackin wee car that really needs nothing mechanically. The girl selling it had it checked over by a garage prior to me buying it as she didnt want me buying a deathtrap! All they found was 2 small holes in the sills but thats nothing for one of these things. She apologised that it was low on fuel...it had a quarter tank...thats absolutely spot on where it will stay in my ownership. She asked for 90 of the queens heads....i gave her 100! I now have to decide what to do with the Bini....keep or sell