The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

12 minutes ago, brownnova said:

You might want to consider hiding your address on a public forum...

However, interesting to know you are one of my most local Shiters, if not my most local Shiter! I live in Flintshire. 

Yes, I did think about that whole personal date thing after I had gone to bed, but then this is a small corner of the internet.

@brownnova Flintshire eh? If you are ever passing my way or want to have a little meet up then do let me know.

In fact isn't it Hubnut Social this weekend? @dollywobbler

8 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Oh dear, tax time.

As you can clearly see, tax runs out on the 31st October. This wouldn't normally be news apart from that its the first time in my ownership I gave it a full 6 months tax and it's spent most of the time awaiting niggly repairs on the fuel system, brakes etc... 

Do I SORN it over winter again (it has a leaky sun roof) or do I  tax and use it as much as possible? I'm tempted by the latter. 

20191009_231208.jpg

Why is your tax renewal notice written in Elvish?

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

Yes, I did think about that whole personal date thing after I had gone to bed, but then this is a small corner of the internet.

@brownnova Flintshire eh? If you are ever passing my way or want to have a little meet up then do let me know.

In fact isn't it Hubnut Social this weekend? @dollywobbler

Look out for the Yellow & white 2CV pottering round North Wales, that’ll be me! 

ooh a 924!! I used to have one, favourite car I’ve ever owned. Regret selling it very much!! Really love another one! 

Yes Hubnut social in Aberystwyth this Saturday I believe. 

15 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Check the voltage at the pins, the permanent and switched lives may need swapping over, most adaptor looms allow you to do this.

Did a switcheroo with the red and yellow wires this morning and it seems to have fixed the issue! I've managed to fit it without butchering the dash or my hands as is usually the case, I'm declaring victory 

IMG_20191010_093157.jpg

I forgot to mention it last week but my Scirocco failed its MOT on metal. Apparently there wasn't enough of it in a couple of places where there should have been lots. I toyed with chucking in the towel & moving it on. It's very, very scruffy. Mentioned it to a couple of garages, both of whom appeared to want to snatch my hand off. Reasoning that its probably still worth a few bob then, I set my man with the sparkly stick to work. Whilst he's got it on the ramp, he's also going to replace the OS driveshaft that I managed to bend in a front wheel/high speed/kerb interface incident a couple of years back. It's been acting as a speed limiter for a while - at 75 the whole car rattles like its going to shake itself to bits. The front seats have also seen better days, so I'm just off down to the local Corrado breaker to pick up a couple of replacements. It's always been a nice car, it might just become a nicer car.

6 hours ago, brownnova said:

Look out for the Yellow & white 2CV pottering round North Wales, that’ll be me! 

ooh a 924!! I used to have one, favourite car I’ve ever owned. Regret selling it very much!! Really love another one! 

Yes Hubnut social in Aberystwyth this Saturday I believe. 

I'll look out for sure! Hoping to get me 924 back tomorrow, might be a long shot. If not I'll be bmwing it to hubnut, if I get to go... fingers crossed.

Loads of road works (minor) popping up all over East Kent at the moment, the Council hasn't suddenly got all efficient, I'm told it's mostly no-deal Brexit prep (especially Thanet way for possible operation stack type activities at Manston airport)

Interesting day today. Went to my local A&E department with a painfully swollen left foot just before dawn and ended up being operated on in the afternoon under general anaesthetic in order to drain and clean a nasty abscess which had been caused by goodness knows what.

Hopefully, I'll be discharged tomorrow. 

Bit of a mixed bag on the vehicular front today.  The Maxus passed its MOT retest, but then when I went to pick it up it wouldn't start - the battery has been on the feeble side for a while but has now completely shat itself - even after a 10-mile drive there isn't enough in it to restart the van.  Fortunately I had gone up in the Volvo, rather than getting the train as originally planned, so I was able to pull in next to it and jump start it.  So that's going to be at least 70 quid for a new battery.  Still, I shouldn't whinge - it's a <£500 van and all it needed for the test was a couple of part worns and a split CV boot - total cost <£150 including the test fee.  I've had far more expensive vans fare much worse than that.

Left the Volvo there and drove home in the van, as I knew that if I switched the van off it wouldn't restart.  Went back up later to fetch the Volvo, and on the way back the rear silencer fell off, on a particularly twisty stretch of unlit A-road.  Cue a rapid U-turn at the first junction and a hoon back up the road to try and get to the silencer before someone hit it.  Which I did, although I caused a minor traffic jam whilst retrieving it and putting it in the boot.  I'm going to see if I can get it welded up as V70 T5 exhausts are surprisingly expensive.

I did have some fun in the V70 this morning though.  On the way in to work, in a long queue of traffic rolling along at 50.  Some tit in a 19-plate 3-series koop (or are the koops 4-serieses these days?  I dunno - it was debadged apart from the inevitable M-Sport badge) was doing the usual thing of blasting past a couple of cars at a time whenever there was a gap in the oncoming traffic.  Completely pointless when the 50-mph convoy stretches as far as the eye can see, but there you go.  He managed to get to 2 cars in front of me, then there were no more gaps.  Got to the roundabout for the bypass and the two cars in front of me turned right, so I was back behind the BM turning left.  He nailed it, so did I, and I was right up his jacksie all the way to the next roundabout.  He went straight on there and I turned right - I glanced over as I passed him and his face was a picture.  I think I'm going to like this car.

Oh yeah, and it sounds proper horny with a missing back box.  I do love a 5-pot.  :)

I’ve been working on Isle of Man this week with their transport authority. I never realised how strict their roadworthiness test was, but conversely how lax it is once the test is passed where it doesn’t need presenting again (if the vehicle is taxed within two years). 

I had to look at some Diesel engines fitted to shunters and had a personal guided tour of the steam workshops in Douglas, I know there are people that appreciate them here so have a couple of pics;

5CD473DB-A0DE-46B0-A1BB-009838913161.thumb.jpeg.4a99d6776d3ef9d322a56aae42315184.jpeg

6D840E16-E612-4FCB-B7E6-6900C04FCF91.thumb.jpeg.df213cba8a3bc69d19a151af03469cf5.jpeg

More lovely messages through the night from people who don't understand no swaps or px for my vectra. Never mind spare a thought for my neighbour.  About a month ago she had her modern set fire to on the drive. Total write off. It was two years old and she had paid £17,000 on finance for it, no gap insurance. Apparently insurance have offered her around £14,000 . So she still owes the finance around £7,000 she was saying. Ouch.