The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

French spottages today all seemed to be accompanied by barking Alsatians. So no camera! However, one house had both a series 1 cx and a Renault four on the drive! Another garden had both a dead bx and an early dead sinker xantia. Both in moss covered white.

Lots of c15 s on the road but even France doesn’t seem to fit Audis with indicators any more.

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

520 miles in a Land Rover defender 90 towing a livestock float loaded with 1.5 tonnes of living pork one way.

Left at 2am this morning, had to wait for the auction as I might have been buying for my neighbour but didn't, just back.

I am broken.

That sounds awful.  For all their following they are to my mind not fun on the road (speaks a several time LR owner including buying a 90xs new in 2004 prior to other Money outlets house/marriage/children/divorce)

2 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:
1 hour ago, davehedgehog31 said:
Red 205 unfortunately shit itself on Sunday - suspect ignition switch or something, not looked yet.
Another glowing recommendation for AutoAid though, showed up and recovered the car within an hour. Nice chap too.

What are the symptoms? Liked for the quick recovery not the FTP.

Dead on key. Battery reads 12.7v. Hazards etc work but no ignition lights. 

After a production run of 6 years (yes really) the GM Cascada has been killed off by PSA...

Vauxhall-Cascada-2013-1024-02.jpg

Sadly the Vauxhall Cascada was quietly dropped from the lines a few months ago, but its officially dead now. 

Its a car I have a real soft spot for, so Long Live the Cascada. 

Bit of a grump and bit of a grin.

My new job came to a premature end yesterday. The company set up was new and was costing a lot of money to keep going and he has decided to close it. We barely had a customer in the 2 weeks I was there and it soon became obvious to me that the owner hadn't thought this through properly.

However on the grin side Fatha_Sterling is here for a few days. Not seen him in 5 years (though do regularly talk to him) and can spend a bit of time with him.

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Bloody hell Mo, you really don't have a lot of luck on the job front do you?

Nope, I certainly don't.  Just gotta soldier on though. Got a link to someone where I might be able to set up a small business buying and selling cars. However for now I still need a waged' job until wifey gets here.

Installed a dab head unit to the 406 there, all working fine except that it doesn't turn itself off when I pull the keys out the ignition? Have to turn it off manually. The adapter that came with it plugged straight into the existing wiring, how have I managed to fuck this up? ?

2 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Installed a dab head unit to the 406 there, all working fine except that it doesn't turn itself off when I pull the keys out the ignition? Have to turn it off manually. The adapter that came with it plugged straight into the existing wiring, how have I managed to fuck this up? ?

Check the voltage at the pins, the permanent and switched lives may need swapping over, most adaptor looms allow you to do this.

Having dinner in the restaurant of my hotel ( been coming here for twenty years). Chef has just had a blazing row with a new waitress, audible to all seven of us here. No idea what about, but loud! She is now visibly upset, think she may have been fired.

more fawlty towers than usual!

14 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Check the voltage at the pins, the permanent and switched lives may need swapping over, most adaptor looms allow you to do this.

I'll have a look in daylight tomorrow. Funnily enough it'll switch itself on when I turn the ignition 

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Having dinner in the restaurant of my hotel ( been coming here for twenty years). Chef has just had a blazing row with a new waitress, audible to all seven of us here. No idea what about, but loud! She is now visibly upset, think she may have been fired.

more fawlty towers than usual!

Better than going to the theatre?

Anyone know Warwick well enough to know of anywhere I can park my car on a Tuesday evening, and return at about midnight and it not be set on fire? 

Got a concert with my dad in Birmingham on the 22nd... Meeting halfway, need somewhere to dump my car! 

39 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Anyone know Warwick well enough to know of anywhere I can park my car on a Tuesday evening, and return at about midnight and it not be set on fire? 

Got a concert with my dad in Birmingham on the 22nd... Meeting halfway, need somewhere to dump my car! 

Not Warwick but you can put it on my drive in Coventry for the evening

2 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

Not Warwick but you can put it on my drive in Coventry for the evening

Looks like it'll work, thanks! Passed it onto the old boy, will let you know! 

You won't chop my current zx up for spares like you did with the old one will you? 

Oh dear, tax time.

As you can clearly see, tax runs out on the 31st October. This wouldn't normally be news apart from that its the first time in my ownership I gave it a full 6 months tax and it's spent most of the time awaiting niggly repairs on the fuel system, brakes etc... 

Do I SORN it over winter again (it has a leaky sun roof) or do I  tax and use it as much as possible? I'm tempted by the latter. 

20191009_231208.jpg

4 hours ago, SRi05 said:

I fitted a newer stereo, had a similar thing happen, I read the book and it seems to have a feature of leaving the stereo on for an adjustable amount of time once the ignition is off, worth checking the features of the stereo first ?

7 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Oh dear, tax time.

As you can clearly see, tax runs out on the 31st October. This wouldn't normally be news apart from that its the first time in my ownership I gave it a full 6 months tax and it's spent most of the time awaiting niggly repairs on the fuel system, brakes etc... 

Do I SORN it over winter again (it has a leaky sun roof) or do I  tax and use it as much as possible? I'm tempted by the latter. 

Just pay the tax monthly by DD then sorn it if you want to, it's only a couple of quid more expensive.

7 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Oh dear, tax time.

You might want to consider hiding your address on a public forum...

However, interesting to know you are one of my most local Shiters, if not my most local Shiter! I live in Flintshire.