The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

Well considering I'd called him a wanker on Saturday morning it went ok. It was due to a family issue apparently as it was their late fathers car and his elder brother wanted it scrapped!

Scrapped! some people have strange ideas. I'm pleased you got it in the end and it's still on the road.

So the bottom arms for the 172 that the motor factors supplied to my garage were also wrong and the only place to get them is Renault for £sillymoney. Old ones refitted for now.

I'm fed up spending money on it, this year, I've estimated it to be at least £750. It needs better tyres and those lower arms so I'm looking at a total of in excess of a grand.

It's good to go as is though, unsure whether to sell it now or just continue spending on it.

I do still really like the car but on the other hand there are others I would like to try.

Stopped off in Canada ?? for a break and a bite to eat. Yes, legally it’s not France as the land was gifted in perpetuity from a grateful nation. Not so great full that they cleared all the bombs, but still.

since the last time I stopped there’s a new arboretum of Canadian oak saplings taken from the acorns of oaks from the battlefield.

AC7F6BE1-A74A-4FDE-9CBA-3CC218F12867.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bren said:

Cut the o/s rear arch off the sd1 in readiness for a new panel. Inner needs repairing first

20191007_144321.jpg

A mate of mine reckoned that he used to get 2 repair arches and weld them together along the inner lip and then bend the inside one to form a new inner arch.

I've not seen photos but he reckons that it's the easy way to fix it.

My next door neighbour has asked me to take some porkers to market for him tomorrow as they are booked in and he is not feeling well. I have done it once before for him and I have nothing pressing on tomorrow so have agreed, I will use his Land Rover 90 and trailer. Trouble is it is the mart at J36 of the M6 so that is a 2am start!

But tomorrow, 14 little* piggies go to market :-) 

I've never seen, or heard, the phrase 'get in the sea' outside of this forum but it's quite well used here. 

I'm currently in Nice and have just taken these crappy pics from a moving train with dirty windows between Nice and Antibes. 

IMG_20191007_165856.thumb.jpg.9718e65263876cb634de491a78d67393.jpg

IMG_20191007_165920.thumb.jpg.f15297e713e7bf43366dea07070f4617.jpg

You really can drive straight off the road and into the sea here! So anything you want rid of... 

Took the new* Pyoojoh I bought at the weekend to work today, had a couple of nice compliments towards it. Neither could believe I only paid 500 quid for it! Spent some time this afternoon giving it a proper look over, it really is mint. Whilst looking the part it's certainly no SPROTS car, but it's surprisingly spacious inside, seats are brilliant and it soaks up the bumps nicely. Perfect for a work daily 

IMG_20191007_154932~2.jpg

Had a 'slight moment' headding up the Coast rd. , away from the damn lights (replaced the roundabout!!..)

Hammered it in 1st and the acc pedal caught under the mat = as I dipped for 2nd I saw a flash of 8.5k....

I heaved it into gear/brake pedal/mashed side of pedal and all was well...... Like my belt didn't snap ?

...... TBF though - these cars are regularly thrashed without complaint ;)

...... just I don't really exceed 3k .......

"I, in my great and unmatched wisdom" have today given the go-ahead to repair the barefoot Scirocco which failed its MOT on a couple of biggish bits of welding last week. I'll also have my man with the spanners chase down where the electricity leaks out from, replace the driveshaft that I bent a couple of years ago and repair the driver's seat. It'll be like a new motor car - probably.

Bit of a shit car day today.

I ordered the wrong bottom arms for the 172, then the ones the garage ordered were wrong too so I ended up getting only the track rods replaced, wheel alignment done and £100 lighter and a car that isn't fixed like I wanted.

The worst of it is that they said the front subframe was "getting thin" at the leading edge and would probably need to be replaced by the next MOT. Whilst I am led to believe that subframe rot is quite unusual on these cars, the long standing radiator leak (replaced by me in April) probably caused this. Subframes are cheap 2nd hand but replacement is obviously involved.

Anyway, I can't spend any more money on this car so I'm selling up. I'll be putting it on Marketplace tomorrow after I've had a sleep. If I'm honest, I'm getting vibes that I should be selling all my cars and getting something dependable so that may happen some time later.

Many dissapoints.

59 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Just had the V5C through for the V70 I bought weekend before last.  Went on the DVLA website to tax it, and it's still showing as taxed until the end of August next year. 

What's occurring???  :huh:

It's the DVLA, it probably means you will get a letter off them tomorrow fining you for not taxing it. (Probably they have not refunded previous owner yet)

3 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Bought my own impact powered screwdriver, won't budge this screw in the dryer bearing, handed it now to a chap down the road who has a collection of " i was not fucking asking" tools.   Hopefully may have it sorted soon.

Left or right handed thread ?

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Wife ordered some bespoke bedroom furniture 5 weeks ago with a 2 week delivery promise.

I did the max sizes it needed to be in order to fit. 

She also sent them picture of the stairs with dimensions and they agreed that the wardrobe would need to be built in situe 

So guess what they took 5 weeks to mak every piece very wrong. 

The wardrobe came fully assembled. And 25 cm too wide. 

The chest came 20 cm too wide

And the bedside draws fit, but should be cabinets. Not draws. 

I should have gone to IKEA 

20191007_173553.jpg

IMG-20191007-WA0000.jpeg

20191007_174430.jpg

If they're metal caps, put a smear of copper grease on the threads before you fit them to the valve stem, or undo and then re-tighten them weekly or they will react with the brass end of the valve stem and fuse themselves together.

You'll then rip the end off the valve trying to undo them in the pissing rain, instantly deflating the tyre in question when the car is parked close up to the kerb so getting a jack in to lift the car up to change the wheel before you wreck the sidewall is all but impossible, and then it gets dark and you're soaking wet, cold and covered in brake dust and road grime in the pitch black wondering why you fucking bother.

Ask me how I know this...

Pink valve caps don't get nicked, FAKT.  At least, pink valves were the only ones that didn't get nicked off the Xantia

Checked the BX for leaks today.  Windows were fogged up on one side, so it didn't bode well.  I was a bit surprised when I opened the door to find it wasn't a paddling pool.  Rear floor pans bone dry and apart from a couple of spots in each front footwell everything is nice and dry.  I couldn't see any point of ingress for the water that was in there so I'm going to assume (perhaps naively) that it's just condensation and the water that was in the car all draining out to the lowest points.  I reckon I really need to strip the dashboard out and get all of the bulkhead seams exposed so that I can properly repair and reseal everything, that's just not an option right now since it's easily one of those jobs that spirals wildly out of control.

9 hours ago, New POD said:

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Wife ordered some bespoke bedroom furniture 5 weeks ago with a 2 week delivery promise.

I did the max sizes it needed to be in order to fit. 

She also sent them picture of the stairs with dimensions and they agreed that the wardrobe would need to be built in situe 

So guess what they took 5 weeks to mak every piece very wrong. 

The wardrobe came fully assembled. And 25 cm too wide. 

The chest came 20 cm too wide

And the bedside draws fit, but should be cabinets. Not draws. 

I should have gone to IKEA 

Has the wife decided it's all your fault yet?

Just now, wuvvum said:

Has the wife decided it's all your fault yet?

No but I had some  grief, because I phoned to let her know there was a problem instead of sorting it out first. 

Why am i giving her stress? 

Anyway, they will sort it.  Very unspecific on timescale. 

If I was single I'd save my money and cancel the order. 

Recently discovered Lawries Mechanical Marvels on YouTube. I guess he's in his 30's, owns shite cars, 2 fire engines (constantly broken), a Ruston diesel locomotive, and farm equipment and plant. Recently bought a dump truck for £25 and filmed his collection caper.