The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Definition of failure and success in one shot;

97BF63AB-3249-4381-9126-DDF630D77512.thumb.jpeg.62ff4d063ac641eb99c7c16670881eea.jpeg

Having four major jobs to do on eldests 207 I decided powertrain removal was the easiest option, Wheel Bearing, Clutch, Head Gasket and Timing Belt to do. Just tightening on the final sequence and the b*satard snapped.  

Luckily I have spare bolts, but I don't have another Head Gasket.

It rained a lot last night and, happily, the bits I sealed up yesterday on the BX have stayed sealed up.  That means the water - much less than expected this time - is getting in elsewhere.  Tip off from Blackpopracing over on the blue forum that it might be the membranes behind the door cards, a fault of Mondeos, and having now removed all the door cards it looks like that's the problem.  There's various points along the bottom of all the membranes where the glue has failed and water is just sitting there.  This is an easy fix, at least, the hardest thing is going to be getting the lid off the tin of contact adhesive.

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

It rained a lot last night and, happily, the bits I sealed up yesterday on the BX have stayed sealed up.  That means the water - much less than expected this time - is getting in elsewhere.  Tip off from Blackpopracing over on the blue forum that it might be the membranes behind the door cards, a fault of Mondeos, and having now removed all the door cards it looks like that's the problem.  There's various points along the bottom of all the membranes where the glue has failed and water is just sitting there.  This is an easy fix, at least, the hardest thing is going to be getting the lid off the tin of contact adhesive.

Good tip and yes, I’ve also had problems with those plastic membrane inner covers. They’re called water shedders on some parts guides. 

I use silicon gasket to put them on, easier than contact adhesive and maybe more durable. 

4 hours ago, tommotech said:

Definition of failure and success in one shot;

97BF63AB-3249-4381-9126-DDF630D77512.thumb.jpeg.62ff4d063ac641eb99c7c16670881eea.jpeg

Having four major jobs to do on eldests 207 I decided powertrain removal was the easiest option, Wheel Bearing, Clutch, Head Gasket and Timing Belt to do. Just tightening on the final sequence and the b*satard snapped.  

Luckily I have spare bolts, but I don't have another Head Gasket.

You did well to get it out.

I'd call it total success.

Some pretty impressive flooding on the rural roads of Norfolk this afternoon - the 75 handled it happily enough but there were a couple of bits where I was worried water was going to start coming in over the sills.  Most of them had gone by this evening, but there was one place where the fire brigade were pumping water away from the road.

Oh, and I got the Renault 6's heater valve unseized.  It's still rather stiffer than I'd like, but it does now open and close.  I'm hesitant to refit the original (and slightly brittle) plastic control lever though given the level of force that is required to move it - I might just keep a 6mm spanner in the car and adjust the temperature that way.  Thanks to the spectacularly shit weather that's all I got done today.

I had it aquaplaning once, on the M11 on the way back from collecting the Raleigh Runabout from PBK.  I only realised it was doing it because the revs suddenly went up.  That was before I had the front tyres replaced though, and one of them was very borderline.  Agree that in general it just pounds road obstacles into submission with its enormous weight,

My wife's friend's son has just bought himself a brand new Skoda Fabia, and wants me to sell/roffle his old car. Also a Fabia. All I know it's 03 plate, has about 63k on the clock, it's a 1.2 and it's got MoT until may 2020. He was offered £320 by WBAC.

Would there be any interest before I set up a 4sell Fred?

My wife's friend's son has just bought himself a brand new Skoda Fabia, and wants me to sell/roffle his old car. Also a Fabia. All I know it's 03 plate, has about 63k on the clock, it's a 1.2 and it's got MoT until may 2020. He was offered £320 by WBAC.
Would there be any interest before I set up a 4sell Fred?
That's not a bad shout from wbac to be honest, as long as they don't go round knocking it down when he gets there..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Just now, Floatylight said:

That's not a bad shout from wbac to be honest, as long as they don't go round knocking it down when he gets there..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

That's what his mum (wife's friend) was worried about as I know there's an issue with one of the electric windows (dicky switch)

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Some pretty impressive flooding on the rural roads of Norfolk this afternoon - the 75 handled it happily enough but there were a couple of bits where I was worried water was going to start coming in over the sills.  Most of them had gone by this evening, but there was one place where the fire brigade were pumping water away from the road.

Oh, and I got the Renault 6's heater valve unseized.  It's still rather stiffer than I'd like, but it does now open and close.  I'm hesitant to refit the original (and slightly brittle) plastic control lever though given the level of force that is required to move it - I might just keep a 6mm spanner in the car and adjust the temperature that way.  Thanks to the spectacularly shit weather that's all I got done today.

1 of our Brit neighbours has a 75 they brought with them,drove under an underpass in the local town after a fair downpour

Aquaplaned a good 30 metres before the car stopped,and promptly sank upto the top of it's headlights....

Had to climb out the windows as the doors wouldn't open, gathered some locals to help push it out

The last i heard they had got it running again but the interior is toast

Failed to make any progress on getting the Yugo started this weekend (despite having planned to) so to make myself feel like i’d made at least some progress I ordered new number plates for it. 

I also failed to fix the Mazda (although I did buy the bits I need), however I did take down two unsightly trees which were blocking the light to the front of the house! 

House 1 Cars 0