The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

57 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Its 100% do-able by an amateur and happy to post you the only tool you need gratis - let me know. Its a very easy job to do assuming its the 1.8 4A-FE. There is a sort of step-by-step on my Celica thread?

I did the tb and wp in my carina with a 4afe over the summer. Its handy alright / well if i can manage it it must be. Just give urself time. I picked up the belt pump and tensioner over time from ebay. Probably paid 30 quid for it all. 

I took the Porsche to my man with the spanners to investigate a coolant leak, the plan was to collect it in the morning and drop off the Scirocco for an overdue MOT, However whilst he was giving me a lift home in the lovey 307, it started to buck like a wild thing & kept cutting out. So he's away in the Scirocco and has left me the crappy Peugeot. Can't beat a garage with a shite courtesy car!

In an effort to stay awake and as the sun has made a very pleasant appearance, I polished the car! Meguirs Ultimate stuff which is so bloody easy to use and looks brilliant instantly. Also did the wheels, inside the bootlid, the fuel flap and the exhausts. Then in a fit of enthusiasm, I made like Picasso and touched up (oo-eer!) all the stone chips on the bonnet. Discovered the touch up kit (three seperate pens no less!) has a fandango little weeny applicator in the top - it took me ages to get the top off (you just pull it seems, how embarrassing!) and then minutes to do the tidiest job I've ever done!

Got to drive a Xantia Activa today. Superb. As a bonafide Xantia perv already I was already ready for the experience but wow, unbelievable. The downside of course is that I now sort of want one.

I also got to ride as a passenger in a 2CV for about 25 miles. Again, blimey. As someone with a little bit of mechanical sympathy, it went against my entire mindset in the way they have to be driven. Never knew the sound of a screaming flat twin was so addictive though. 

4 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

Got to drive a Xantia Activa today. Superb. As a bonafide Xantia perv already I was already ready for the experience but wow, unbelievable. The downside of course is that I now sort of want one.

I also got to ride as a passenger in a 2CV for about 25 miles. Again, blimey. As someone with a little bit of mechanical sympathy, it went against my entire mindset in the way they have to be driven. Never knew the sound of a screaming flat twin was so addictive though. 

Last time I drove 320touring's GSA he made me hold onto 2nd gear until 80kph. I winced slightly while doing it, but it did help it get going!

An Activa is like nothing on the road. Ours had the turbo XU10. Not the quickest in a straight line but it was peerless in the corners.

Should have never sold it. Regrets to this day.

Still itching for a go in a 2CV/Dyane.

4b8327a39c294a9f074e10086ba6ecbe.jpg

Had a poke around under the Maxus earlier and it looks like the CV boot is going to be a right twat to do - the CV joint is recessed into the hub and there isn't enough clearance between joint and hub for a jubilee clip to fit.  There also isn't a handy slot in the hub like there is on the CX to get a pair of CV clip pliers in.  So whichever way I do it the CV joint is going to have to be separated from the hub.  I've done this before obvs, but never on a 3.5-tonne van - I don't think my trolley jack will take kindly to being asked to lift the front end of the Maxus for one thing, and I'm not sure I have a big enough hammer to persuade the hub and driveshaft to part company.  I might have to go against everything I stand for and ask the garage to do it.

Oil change on the Clio tonight. Changed from my usual Fuchs Titan Supersynth to Millers Trident, same grade 5/40, windy lickers from the Clio pages recommend it. Had no bother with Bosch filters so stuck with that. 

Just love my Laser Oil extractor, makes oil changes completely painless.

20191002_183900.jpg

20191002_183909.jpg