The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 hours ago, Spurious said:

There's a blast of 90s nostalgia. Not seen a Vento in a very long time, my dad had a bog standard spec Diesel, not even sure if it was a TD. Had the best of keep fit windows and steel wheels. Solid car.

Were they ever sold in big numbers in the UK? They weren't uncommon in Ireland especially in diesel. Bit of a farmer spec wagon following on from the Jetta.

The best that can be said of the Vento was that it was a modest success. 

I'm having a right drama with my Ital van, I advertised it for sale at the beginning of August where a FB contact of mine who saw the van last year at the BL day show rang me me telling me he would have it as he's been after it since then but he needed to sell some cars and find some storage space first and asked me if I'd be willing to hold on to it for 2 weeks, 2 months later I've still got the van after countless excuses to why he hasn't paid the money yet, I would tell him to not to bother but I've received a £500 deposit of him (which took 4 weeks to get). I feel that I've been more than courteous, especially as I've had to piss about getting storage for the van and I'm still paying tax and insurance on it but I'm getting pretty fed up now.

I've told him I need the money and he keeps telling me he's trying to get hold of his bank manager to get a loan, I think I'll have to give him to the end of the week now but I don't know what to do about this £500 he's given me.

the wifeys away ,,, so tonight is Gourmet night ...

I have really pushed the boat out this time and also got a film .. " Troll Hunter " . cost me quid in the charity shop

so thats the fire on , feet up and that toilet will suffer in the morning   !!!

20190930_165004.thumb.jpg.b9f91991079f62c5a337643f2eec0b14.jpg

jeez I am stuffed , still got 2 cans , the bag of peanuts and the bananas to go ,,,,,,  Troll Hunter was great !

This is already in the football thread, but I thought I'd leave it here too as more people might see it.

Yesterday I was prevented from getting to Southport for football purposes by an RTA on the M62. Pretty soon, a huge array of emergency vehicles (including the air ambulance) descended on the scene and and 90 minutes or so later I was able to see the cause of the delay:

0_EFohPyAXkAILLJG-NWmwaypolce.jpg

Fuck knows how, but the driver (sole occupant of the car) survived. Hats off to the ambulance, fire and police personnel who attended so quickly and got the guy out of that mess and off to hospital - massive respect to all concerned.

2 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

This is already in the football thread, but I thought I'd leave it here too as more people might see it.

Yesterday I was prevented from getting to Southport for football purposes by an RTA on the M62. Pretty soon, a huge array of emergency vehicles (including the air ambulance) descended on the scene and and 90 minutes or so later I was able to see the cause of the delay:

Fuck knows how, but the driver (sole occupant of the car) survived. Hats off to the ambulance, fire and police personnel who attended so quickly and got the guy out of that mess and off to hospital - massive respect to all concerned.

Liked for the survival, not the crash. The driver needs to buy a shit load of lottery tickets, or perhaps not as they may have used up their entire life quota of luck.

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

the wifeys away ,,, so tonight is Gourmet night ...

I have really pushed the boat out this time and also got a film .. " Troll Hunter " . cost me quid in the charity shop

so thats the fire on , feet up and that toilet will suffer in the morning   !!!

20190930_165004.thumb.jpg.b9f91991079f62c5a337643f2eec0b14.jpg

Troll hunter is a brilliant film. 

Initial thoughts on the TDI Polo estate. 

90bhp shifts it along the road well enough - may take a remap though. Will veg well with a wee bit or preparatory work. 

Handling is uninspiring, it's safe enough, it just doesn't inspire you to push on in the slightest. 

The interior is an odd mix of substantial and solid feeling switchgear and some "fuck me, where do you even get plastic that shite?" areas. 

I have had a tumble dryer and some boxes in the boot already though, so it's filling its function well. 

It will do a job as a tool, but how the car rags rated these comparable to a 306 back in the day is beyond me. I paid small change though, not £14k in the year 2000 so I'm happy enough. 

I think the cut off for remapping via laptop is 2001 and the new engine codes - ALH for the 90bhp model. I had a Caddy TDI with that engine and it was the best veg-mobile I've had. Also thought it handled really well but maybe the passenger cars are set up softer.

The boot loading lip is a bit crap no?

4 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Bugger NCAP; what flavour of supermini is this so I can recommend its crashworthiness?

I have mentioned the lad from school who has a zafira on finance. The turbo blew and took engine has well. He had it repaired 8 months ago and its tone again. Engine company wont do anything has he missed a service off them  ,his own fault. So I have lent him my vectra , with a view to buy on friday. 

Looks like it's a week of little work, for me, what with  the shit weather.

I've only got outside work. Tomorrow looks ok, Thursday wheel bearing

and new caliper, Friday till lunchtime looks shit so probably rules out doing

anything. Saturday I iz on a floating thing at 0800 to go to Holland for four

weeks work where I will hardly hear anything about the subject we can't 

mention. YAY ! 

Booked in for: the front brake caliper that hasn't been refurbished needs refurbishment. 

Fuel keeps pissing out of the rear wheel arch: need to get that sorted professionally.

Also alternater top mount has lost a rubber. Something I can do at home but if it takes them ten mins they can do it

20191001_091317.jpg

13 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

I think the cut off for remapping via laptop is 2001 and the new engine codes - ALH for the 90bhp model. I had a Caddy TDI with that engine and it was the best veg-mobile I've had. Also thought it handled really well but maybe the passenger cars are set up softer.

The boot loading lip is a bit crap no?

Ah, the remapping wasn't part of the buying consideration, so no harm if it doesn't. I suspect the shit tyres fitted don't help, but where most cars have a trade off in ride v handing, this doesn't seem to have a particularly great balance of either, but is perfectly acceptable. 

Yeah the load lip isn't great, the boot aperture is pretty small to post stuff through. Does mean you don't have to worry about your stuff being skittled all over the road when you open the tailgate at least.

It came with 3/4 of a tank of Derv, I've done 340 miles and it still purports to have around a quarter of it's 45 litre tank left, think it could be a propper fuel sipper.

I had a dream last night that my dad's old H-reg Montego estate had turned up at the Kings Lynn classic auction, and I was desperately trying to find somewhere to store it so I could buy it.  The nearside rear floorpan was utterly fucked, but that didn't put me off.

Then my mate turned up and showed me some drawings he'd done, including one of the partial front end of a red car which I thought was a Series 3 Allegro but he informed me was actually a Mk2 Fiat Strada.  He then proceeded to pretend to press the door button on the nearside front door, whereupon it was revealed that he had done several drawings of the same car and turned them into an A4-sized flick book showing the door slowly opening - although only the first drawing was coloured in, the rest were just outline drawings.

TL;DR:  I think I've been spending too much time on this forum.

17 hours ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

I’m fairly certain it’s a Mazda2. Definitely a tough little bugger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did 200 miles up to Coventry and back today in the reliable Mercedes. Not the day to be on the m40 though. Nasty accident at the a43 junction with a transit up the banking and the dead body screens covering up the scene.  Just before this southbound crash, there was a bmw sitting on the hardshoulder northbound with its front shoved in just after a big dent in the centre Armco. 

Five hours in the car and just two at the meeting at Warwick university! 

CX has its third alternator on. Monsieur Loizou also found that the starter motor was hanging half off (don't ask; no idea how); bolting that back in the correct place has apparently cured the intermittent FTS ....for now.

Think I'll celebrate by ordering some more LEDs for it....

Went to my local garage today. Asked for a rough price for a celica timing belt , water pump and pulley fitting. After saying he didn't have the tool to do it he reckoned about £300 plus vat. So rang garage where jap bus goes when I put it in for service and mot. He incidentally does all the jap cambelt and stuff. He reckons if I supply the stuff , so gates kit. He will charge about £120.00 . So celica will be going up to wigan for mot and all other jobs. Hopefully in a couple if weeks .