The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 hours ago, clayts450 said:

Quick trip over to Rimmers this morning (to swerve their postage and to give one of the fleet a runout).

All going swimmingly well in the 'onda until just outside Lincoln where there was a sound like a stone being chucked out of the nsf wheelarch followed by a repetitive clunk. Pulled over - no flames or owt, so did the last few miles at granny speed. Pulled into Rimmers, reversed, big clunk. Knocking noise gone. Shrugged shoulders and drove home after picking up my goody bag.

Will pull the wheel off later, but I suspect something caliper related, as there is an interesting* noise when braking now.

Unsurprisingly the bottom guide pin bolt was missing in action. What idiot tightened that up last time then ? (yup......)

IMG_20190928_140416746.thumb.jpg.8d0756c48961ca55900b72dae7e47b50.jpg

Sorted, and punched myself in the face a few times with a ratchet (accidentally) as punishment

43 minutes ago, MikeR said:

FFS . sons dog just passed on . only had it a month .. It wobbled in from outside and fell "asleep" at his feet ...  We are all gutted . it was a good dog .  

Sorry to hear that mate.  When your wife told her sister she misheard and thought she'd said Dad and not Spud. 

Pm sent.

Home.  33.7mpg average according to the computer, which isn't too bad I don't reckon.

DSC_0660.thumb.JPG.ae72cc8c6ab4f0e1099732e93f69eb54.JPG

I blame my recent trip to Scotland.  Ever since then I've had a hankering for a fast Volvo.  I'd made up my mind to bid on that megamile 850 T5, but then it got yanked off eBay and hasn't reappeared since that I've seen.  Then a V70 T5 appeared on the Bay with a tempting BIN price, but a bloody long way away - Widnes in fact.  So I used the Best Offer button and submitted what I thought was a slightly cheeky offer which would offset most of the cost of going to get it, and slightly to my surprise it was accepted.

I've had a V70 T5 before (which funnily enough I collected from Northwich so just round the corner from this one), but it was a Badermatic and the gearboxes on those don't have the best reputation at higher mileages.  This one is a manual, and although it's not the slickest gearchange in the world I have more confidence in it than I would in an auto.

I'd be lying if I said it's the best example of the breed.  It has a large dent in the nearside rear door, and a smaller one in the offside front wing; the driver's seatbelt is a PITA to unreel and the driver's seat has seen much better days.  It also has a separate switch to control the sidelights, and a silly aftermarket back box which needs replacing.  It has a serious clonk from the nearside front suspension over sharp bumps.  And it's done 258K.  Also the ABS and TCS lights randomly came on whilst I was cruising at 60 on the A17, although they went off when I restarted the engine.  The essentials are there though - it sounds sweet, doesn't get hot, the cruise control works and most importantly it goes like sh*t off a shovel.  It's not as silly quick as Dave_Flowers' nutter machine - it only* has 250bhp - but it was a great deal cheaper.  It's an early one, which keeps the VED down.  And it has a bigger boot.  I'm quite happy with my purchase thus far.

17 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I love how the transmission locks up at slightly different speeds on each carriage. 

It's a pretty funny feeling!

In February I was in the North Island of New Zealand, and had the chance to ride this:

IMG_4286.thumb.jpg.dbcf96178987256b3dfabe0aa8106704.jpg

It's a 1938 Standard Class Railcar. These have a Meadows 6DT630 engine powering a Wilson Direct Selector Epicyclic Four Speed Gearbox, at each end.

When the gears changed, you felt each end change gear distinctly - two "thumps" - the driven end first, followed by the trailing end. I imagine it is a similar feeling to what you felt on the Pacer!

Here's a video: Best sounds from 1.45 on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trlkXsLKKOM&t=152s . Terrific gearbox howl! 

Sorry - a touch off topic. 

I just found out that the Lada Niva is now called the 'lada 4x4'...and its still made to this day!  :D Look threw the different spec's, I love* the 'Urban' spec ones which are made for the Chelsea Tractor wannabes....

https://www.lada.ru/en/cars/4x4/3dv/about.html

The 'Bronto' spec ones look really nice and I feel would be on the lotto winners list for a few of us!

1500961033_img_1970.jpg

Another day, another Mini problem. I thought it was just a bulb out in the front left side light but it was strange that the warning chime for bulb out only occured a few minutes after switching on the lights. So it turns out that the light does work for a minute or so and then it extinguishes, so I'm looking at a wiring or connector issue, somewhere.

Oh and it still smokes.

Still uses oil faster than it should be.

Absolutely stinks of burning oil when manoevering.

Did a pub pick up run last night and it's absolutely useless for carrying adult passengers in the back, none of my cars are suitable either though!

On the lookout for a decent nick 75 or Saab 95 now.

Initial thoughts on the TDI Polo estate. 

90bhp shifts it along the road well enough - may take a remap though. Will veg well with a wee bit or preparatory work. 

Handling is uninspiring, it's safe enough, it just doesn't inspire you to push on in the slightest. 

The interior is an odd mix of substantial and solid feeling switchgear and some "fuck me, where do you even get plastic that shite?" areas. 

I have had a tumble dryer and some boxes in the boot already though, so it's filling its function well. 

It will do a job as a tool, but how the car rags rated these comparable to a 306 back in the day is beyond me. I paid small change though, not £14k in the year 2000 so I'm happy enough. 

The Mk3 Golf and Vento are much the same. 
There's a blast of 90s nostalgia. Not seen a Vento in a very long time, my dad had a bog standard spec Diesel, not even sure if it was a TD. Had the best of keep fit windows and steel wheels. Solid car.

Were they ever sold in big numbers in the UK? They weren't uncommon in Ireland especially in diesel. Bit of a farmer spec wagon following on from the Jetta.