The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, mitsisigma01 said:

If you want more tyres to build your garden fence with I can flytip a dozen or so to add to the collection 

That's not my house.

I just know that it's somewhere up in northern Aberdeenshire, near where he used to live, so I assume he's up there today.

Also, I'm in Aberdeen itself, so he would have (sort of) passed by on his way.

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

That's not my house.

I just know that it's somewhere up in northern Aberdeenshire, near where he used to live, so I assume he's up there today.

Also, I'm in Aberdeen itself, so he would have (sort of) passed by on his way.

T'was over the weekend. I'd have given you a shout but it was rather a flying visit and the closest to Aberdoom I got was Huntly!

2 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

IoW-bound again:

20190926_134804.thumb.jpg.cfca59654875ee6aa8df1ae6428d3569.jpg

Actually made it in time. Just. By a few minutes.

Somehow these pictures of this car are making me feel slightly sentimental about the hateful understeery underpowered but reasonably economical little thing.  

5 hours ago, loserone said:

Somehow these pictures of this car are making me feel slightly sentimental about the hateful understeery underpowered but reasonably economical little thing.  

I'd often felt this was pretty underpowered, even less though than the Blue K11. However, today it proved itself a worthy soldier. From the top of Worcestershire to the bottom of Southampton I'd had very little time to spare and didn't hold back. The Grey little thing made it here to the Isle of Wight, its new home now, without any hesitation, and it was driven pretty hard. Of course now, its life is destined for gentle drives for shopping or a small tour around the island.

Improvements on it will happen but a bit slower as it's in the IoW and I have little time to spare now.

The Blue K11 will join this one but maybe next year.

6 hours ago, 00833827 said:

Here's a story from the archives - retiring postman was able to take his van with him. When i was a kid, all the postvans were Renault 4s. None survived and by the look of this thing after doing less than 70k miles in 6 years in West Cork, its not surprising. A mate of mine's old man had a R4 id say in the mid to late 90s and it was in good nick, but none about these parts these days

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0315/859886-retired-postman-retains-van/

You will probably need subtitles, or just read the accompanying text - I'm only a couple of hours away from this place and I have no clue what the fella is saying.

being going north cork south tipp for 30+ years 

got maybe 80% of what he said - uncle harry used to talk like that :D

shame it wasnt a p and t van :D

an post used renault extras for a long time too

34 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Sounds like the roller bearings or something along those lines are on their way out in our dryer.  All we need, how much of a tear down and cost could it be to replace on my own?

Being as its not a washing machine possibly quite easy. I know some folk who repair them for a living, what's the make and model and take a pic and I'll ask

1 hour ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

WhiteKnight 44AW, sounds like something to do with the roller axle. Still works just makes a bloody racket.   Would prefer to have crack myself, save costs, seems everything wants to break just as we are short.   Looks simple enough and going from a Google around it would seem the culprit is likely this thing?

https://www.partmaster.co.uk/drum-shaft-bearing-kit/product.pl?pid=413360&query=44aw

It won't have the massive Ali spider bearing holder that rots out and makes it a twat of a job so it can't be complicated

11 hours ago, 00833827 said:

Here's a story from the archives - retiring postman was able to take his van with him. When i was a kid, all the postvans were Renault 4s. None survived and by the look of this thing after doing less than 70k miles in 6 years in West Cork, its not surprising. A mate of mine's old man had a R4 id say in the mid to late 90s and it was in good nick, but none about these parts these days

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0315/859886-retired-postman-retains-van/

You will probably need subtitles, or just read the accompanying text - I'm only a couple of hours away from this place and I have no clue what the fella is saying.

I live about 20 miles away,and I could only get about 50% of it.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, hairymel said:

My best drinking buddy changed a front spring on his sons e87 1series bmw.

Of course as soon as he had finished that it randomly came up with a electronic steering lock error and wouldn't even start.

I was asked to help.

Foolishly I said yes.

My delphi ds150 clone with cars2014 and WOW wouldnt clear the fault so we bought a bmw k+dcan cable and I installed bmw standard tools.

I spent an evening installing this. Then another evening pissing about trying to clear the fault then another evening trying to update the cas (car access sytem) firmware as a suggested fix.

Then another evening digging through the dash to remove the electronic steering lock which is affixed by 5 sided security torx screws.which we didn't have a suitable bit for.

I managed to get the lock motor to actuate but it was decided to buy a £70 lock emulator rather than put the lock back on and have it fail again.

This cleared the fault but now the immobiliser (cas - dme) was throwing up a tamper fault.

By this time the install of bmw tools was buggered by having to keep changing settings between the programs to get the cable to work.

Deep despair caused many beers. And discussion of scrap values.

I spent 13 hours reinstalling the software plus versions of ista p and d (older bmw main dealer software) paying close attention to configs so I didn't have to fudge the settings if I needed to change the program I was using.

I wish using unsupported pirated main dealer software was easier?

After almost 2 weeks of spending every spare minute scouring the internet to understand the problem, and downloading nearly 1/2 a terabyte of files, I spent an hour today resetting stuff and screwing the interior back together and normal service has resumed.

Tldr

Stupid idea having a cheap plastic Chinese toy thing to work the steering lock and computerised diagnosis/repair is not the same as undoing a couple of shear bolts.

Fixed it though?

Had a customer return on this one

Radio had lost the aux option? Obviously all my fault.

Factory fitted aux/USBn the armrest but won't come up on the mode select of the radio.

Parrot hands free also has stopped working.

Lots of googling and apparently the radio needs to see a resistor across the inputs and also have a firmware flag present to allow aux function. Also usually buggers up with a flat/ removed battery.

Got him to disassemble the dash as penance while I tried to reflash the radio.

1+1/2 hrs of pissing about and I managed to set the aux on flag in the firmware and laugh at the birds nest of wiring and interface boxes he had uncovered.

Bmw oem aux works now so I said the parrot is not my problem?

Since my previous fiddling the rain sensor triggered front wipers and reverse triggered rear wiper now both work which they never did before.

I call it a win?

Also in dispatches :

a friend whos fiesta i welded back together a couple of years ago came back with a request for a couple of small patches on the outer sill.

I even got her to ask her mot man if he was certain it was only the outer sill.

20190918_175658.jpg

He was either very lax or wanted to fcuk me over.

Front on the other side was just as bad all the way into the floor pan. 

Done and moted now though.

Just have to work my way through a very large stock of thank you booze ? 

8 hours ago, hairymel said:

Also in dispatches :

a friend whos fiesta i welded back together a couple of years ago came back with a request for a couple of small patches on the outer sill.

I even got her to ask her mot man if he was certain it was only the outer sill.

20190918_175658.jpg

He was either very lax or wanted to fcuk me over.

Front on the other side was just as bad all the way into the floor pan. 

Done and moted now though.

Just have to work my way through a very large stock of thank you booze ? 

You should start a thread for your escapades, good reading!

Sadly I have been very quiet on the car front for sometime. I have not touched any of my projects for ages. This burst of activity was just helping some close friends out.

Tbh they were both fairly dreadful jobs but i find it much easier working on other people's cars. Perhaps it because I just want the pain to end rather than worrying about when im next going to put the kettle on?

Edited by hairymel
To say I am glad split_pin gets enjoyment from my misery :-D