The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

48 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Telescopic handle on the back, pretend it's a fancy wheeled suitcase.  Job jobbed.

shame DW does not have an AC Acedes Mk15, or one of the User Trial Model 70's as they have a towing eye in the front :mrgreen: (well a thing you would screw a towing eye onto apparently)

Home.  1,172 miles in 5 days, and the Rover hasn't missed a beat or used a drop of oil or coolant.  It has used quite a lot of diesel though - I haven't calculated it exactly as I filled up about a week before setting off, but the computer reckons 51mpg, so assuming that's correct it's got through 23 gallons.  It seems to have got back from Airdrie (with a detour via the Queensferry Bridge and a stop off in Chester le Street to visit my godfather who I hadn't seen in 22 years) on just over 50 quid, which more or less adds up.

Only had two near misses on the whole trip - the previously mentioned pillock in the Fiesta, and some cockwomble in a 208 driving down the A1(M) in the dark and pissing rain with only sidelights on (assume his headlights had FTP'd) - he was doing 70, then became disoriented, almost twatted the central barrier, then swerved across 3 lanes whilst simultaneously doing an emergency stop.  I didn't go into the back of him but it wasn't far off.

Most enjoyable trip other than that though, and the breakfast at the B&B included square sausage and tattie scones so I've had the full Scottish experience.  :)

13 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Home.  1,172 miles in 5 days, and the Rover hasn't missed a beat or used a drop of oil or coolant.  It has used quite a lot of diesel though - I haven't calculated it exactly as I filled up about a week before setting off, but the computer reckons 51mpg, so assuming that's correct it's got through 23 gallons.  It seems to have got back from Airdrie (with a detour via the Queensferry Bridge and a stop off in Chester le Street to visit my godfather who I hadn't seen in 22 years) on just over 50 quid, which more or less adds up.

Only had two near misses on the whole trip - the previously mentioned pillock in the Fiesta, and some cockwomble in a 208 driving down the A1(M) in the dark and pissing rain with only sidelights on (assume his headlights had FTP'd) - he was doing 70, then became disoriented, almost twatted the central barrier, then swerved across 3 lanes whilst simultaneously doing an emergency stop.  I didn't go into the back of him but it wasn't far off.

Most enjoyable trip other than that though, and the breakfast at the B&B included square sausage and tattie scones so I've had the full Scottish experience.  :)

If you had mentioned you where going to Chester le street we could have had a little meet 3 of us live in Chester and L1 is just outside and a couple more around the area. 

I've been road tripping too, as last week was holiday time and we went to...

20190924_132320.thumb.jpg.406d02003d2405754c27a16874c289cd.jpg

Going over the Oresund Bridge and then spending time looking at it was a highlight.

20190917_222342.thumb.jpg.ecb6b2c9f56079f4d7685887e349ef59.jpg

20190916_144935.thumb.jpg.f625e3791f045a47d8c5f048bb9c3fea.jpg

Less of a highlight were the Antwerp ring road as usual, and me driving over a loose flagstone at the farmhouse airb&b on the first night.  The suspension clonked loudly over bumps for the remainder of the trip, but it survived 1,300 miles like it, so touring and getting home without needing assistance was a relief.  2,323 miles in total at 37.7mpg which isn't too bad for a big pez auto I reckon.

20190918_070712.thumb.jpg.a41c7c13c02e7299f50fcbafa3eb58a0.jpg

It may look like Lincolnshire, but no it's rural Skane, about 15 miles from Ystad.  From what I've seen Sweden is pleasant, clean and civilised.  Lund in particular had a nice feel about it.  Will definitely go again.

It may look like Lincolnshire, but no it's rural Skane, about 15 miles from Ystad.  From what I've seen Sweden is pleasant, clean and civilised.  Lund in particular had a nice feel about it.  Will definitely go again.

I've been round there. Skåne is a lovely part of the world, looks like a wonderful trip bringing the Volvo to home turf. Also if you're a fan of your crime novels Skåne is the home of Wallander (lots of TV adaptions and books) and the Øresund bridge is part of the plot of the first season of "The Bridge" (I think it's on Netflix) Thorough recommend both!

The continuing saga of my '94 Tipo's sticking clutch pedal.  Last Thursday it stuck a few times during a day trip. When I got home I got in to the contortions necessary to inspect and oil the pedal pivot components (again).  This was a mistake. I'm no longer the lithe athlete that I may have been (doubtful), resulting in my knackered body objecting strongly to the forced bending and twisting.  A painful pulled something or other has made the last few days quite miserable.  Thankfully there are signs that it's easing now.  Meanwhile, the effort made no difference to the random sticking of the clutch pedal.  During yesterday's drive it stuck about 4 times at various positions past half way on its return stroke. Pulling it back up with my foot has become second nature.  The clutch itself is working fine.  I'm beginning to suspect the clutch master cylinder. Although the master and slave cylinders show no sign of leakage, I think I may get one replaced, then the other and hope that that cures it. Note the term of delegation. I do not want another week of extreme discomfort.  This will not stop me driving it in the meantime. Having a car with tyres and suspension that can swallow the condition of local roads is far more relaxing than my modern Mirage which sometimes gets caught out - not just by unavoidable potholes but sometimes just through lack of front suspension travel when going over sudden mild looking undulations.  The bang it makes makes an occasionally sticking clutch pedal an easy winner.

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

I've been round there. Skåne is a lovely part of the world, looks like a wonderful trip bringing the Volvo to home turf. Also if you're a fan of your crime novels Skåne is the home of Wallander (lots of TV adaptions and books) and the Øresund bridge is part of the plot of the first season of "The Bridge" (I think it's on Netflix) Thorough recommend both!

Yep, they formed part of the inspiration for the trip.  I've been wanting to go for years, but you know how time flies!

I also enjoy the relentless nature of driving long distances on ostensibly boring autobahns/autoroutes etc.  Just passing through or around places is interesting too.  Hamburg and the massive port facilities for example.

54 minutes ago, RayMK said:

The continuing saga of my '94 Tipo's sticking clutch pedal.  Last Thursday it stuck a few times during a day trip. When I got home I got in to the contortions necessary to inspect and oil the pedal pivot components (again).  This was a mistake. I'm no longer the lithe athlete that I may have been (doubtful), resulting in my knackered body objecting strongly to the forced bending and twisting.  A painful pulled something or other has made the last few days quite miserable.  Thankfully there are signs that it's easing now.  Meanwhile, the effort made no difference to the random sticking of the clutch pedal.  During yesterday's drive it stuck about 4 times at various positions past half way on its return stroke. Pulling it back up with my foot has become second nature.  The clutch itself is working fine.  I'm beginning to suspect the clutch master cylinder. Although the master and slave cylinders show no sign of leakage, I think I may get one replaced, then the other and hope that that cures it. Note the term of delegation. I do not want another week of extreme discomfort.  This will not stop me driving it in the meantime. Having a car with tyres and suspension that can swallow the condition of local roads is far more relaxing than my modern Mirage which sometimes gets caught out - not just by unavoidable potholes but sometimes just through lack of front suspension travel when going over sudden mild looking undulations.  The bang it makes makes an occasionally sticking clutch pedal an easy winner.

My 2001 Laguna2 started doing just this. I imagine your fix will be a fair bit simpler, I just scrapped the car as TEH_FEAR had started to take hold (I sit in alot of traffic in my commute sometimes)

I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I probably should change my Irish driving licence.

It seems like a bad deal that I'll end up with possibly a non EU driving license but that's the way it is. Boo-urns.

And the DVLA is fucking antiquated. I've to get a bloody postal order as they only take cheques or postal orders. It's 2019.

Here's a story from the archives - retiring postman was able to take his van with him. When i was a kid, all the postvans were Renault 4s. None survived and by the look of this thing after doing less than 70k miles in 6 years in West Cork, its not surprising. A mate of mine's old man had a R4 id say in the mid to late 90s and it was in good nick, but none about these parts these days

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0315/859886-retired-postman-retains-van/

You will probably need subtitles, or just read the accompanying text - I'm only a couple of hours away from this place and I have no clue what the fella is saying.