The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Today was collecting a cheap 'rock n roll' bed for the T25, and the lady kindly gave me a 12V fridge too. No idea how to fit either, though the bed will need a shelf or something underneath it. It's just sort of thrown in here, not fixed once...

IMG_20190915_104007.thumb.jpg.20a621e0a4d1188931946727b88cd4d6.jpg

Prior to this I picked up some matching colour side panels for the Scomadi , then quite badly applied the 'wraps' for them.  Everybody's favourite group immortalised on everybody's favourite two wheeler...

IMG_20190915_130748.thumb.jpg.13e586a9b8cd8e44cb97e78de74f6cd5.jpg

IMG_20190915_130640.thumb.jpg.7fad2e0dcad5c460f7a80e29cfa60d94.jpg

24 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Jesus wept... Colway remoulds?  And in what looks like a commercial size...

image.png

Ha'p'orth of tar, anyone?

Got to love a  Colway! They used to do Rally remoulds as well, as a stupid 17 year old I bought a set of their tarmac road legal slicks for my Capri. They only lasted a month and were bloody lethal in anything but perfectly dry conditions. Wish they were still going.

My best drinking buddy changed a front spring on his sons e87 1series bmw.

Of course as soon as he had finished that it randomly came up with a electronic steering lock error and wouldn't even start.

I was asked to help.

Foolishly I said yes.

My delphi ds150 clone with cars2014 and WOW wouldnt clear the fault so we bought a bmw k+dcan cable and I installed bmw standard tools.

I spent an evening installing this. Then another evening pissing about trying to clear the fault then another evening trying to update the cas (car access sytem) firmware as a suggested fix.

Then another evening digging through the dash to remove the electronic steering lock which is affixed by 5 sided security torx screws.which we didn't have a suitable bit for.

I managed to get the lock motor to actuate but it was decided to buy a £70 lock emulator rather than put the lock back on and have it fail again.

This cleared the fault but now the immobiliser (cas - dme) was throwing up a tamper fault.

By this time the install of bmw tools was buggered by having to keep changing settings between the programs to get the cable to work.

Deep despair caused many beers. And discussion of scrap values.

I spent 13 hours reinstalling the software plus versions of ista p and d (older bmw main dealer software) paying close attention to configs so I didn't have to fudge the settings if I needed to change the program I was using.

I wish using unsupported pirated main dealer software was easier?

After almost 2 weeks of spending every spare minute scouring the internet to understand the problem, and downloading nearly 1/2 a terabyte of files, I spent an hour today resetting stuff and screwing the interior back together and normal service has resumed.

Tldr

Stupid idea having a cheap plastic Chinese toy thing to work the steering lock and computerised diagnosis/repair is not the same as undoing a couple of shear bolts.

Fixed it though?

I had quite a constructive day today as I serviced the girlfriends A class plus I started my old E36 which has been sitting for a year and it started 1st turn of the key.

Also I went to pick up some smaller wheels for the Bini which won on eBay for £35 which have good tyres.

So now I have 3 sets of Mini wheels and a Set of E36/Z3 wheels spare and a few odd wheels knocking about.

How many  spare Wheels does an Autoshiter need.

The answer 20 plus lol

7F908255-4BD1-474B-BF25-081B208F3F92.jpeg

From one of the best service stations ever down in Gloucestershire with its own butchers and bakery’s. I’m now back in the North East of Scotland at this legend* of a place...5D1FE182-0323-4800-9C73-CFFCB888ECFF.thumb.jpeg.46c19f5627731dcdf43c51ca4f6b0079.jpeg

The pipework for urinals in the men’s toilet runs into a gutter below it. Classy...

29 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

From one of the best service stations ever down in Gloucestershire with its own butchers and bakery’s. I’m now back in the North East of Scotland at this legend* of a place...5D1FE182-0323-4800-9C73-CFFCB888ECFF.thumb.jpeg.46c19f5627731dcdf43c51ca4f6b0079.jpeg

The pipework for urinals in the men’s toilet runs into a gutter below it. Classy...

Aaah, Stracathro services where they have to peel the blanket off the mince to serve you....

No Michelin stars, but only just missed out on a fate-o star according to rumour......

8 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Did they get the Leopard 1 out today?  When I went a couple of years ago that impressed me more than the Tiger - and the Tiger is quite a sight!

They did have it out! We nice to see, along with the Challenger 1 and a Patton as the ‘‘newer’ stuff along with the WW2. Personally, seeing the Churchill and Matilda 2 was my favourite as they are two of my favourite tanks. They also had a Ha-Go which was fun to see in action too, especially when it stopped!  The Tiger 1 is dam impressive too. 

I posted some photos in the Warshite thread. :) 

-

Having left Wincanton at about 8:30am I arrived back at mine at roughly 7:45pm!(including dropping the parents off and unpacked) Longest brake the car got was about 25 minutes. Fair to say, I’m rather shattered...

Last day of my week's leave so the 620 and I took off to the coast.

Skegvegas was overcast, but not cold nor rainy. Nice four hours strolling about, home in time for tea, and some excellent overtaking skills from the two of us on the way back (gotta love a safe, three car overtake...twice : thanks Reg Local)

IMG_20190915_132015532.jpg

34 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

They did have it out! We nice to see, along with the Challenger 1 and a Patton as the ‘‘newer’ stuff along with the WW2. Personally, seeing the Churchill and Matilda 2 was my favourite as they are two of my favourite tanks. They also had a Ha-Go which was fun to see in action too, especially when it stopped!  The Tiger 1 is dam impressive too. 

I posted some photos in the Warshite thread. :) 

-

Having left Wincanton at about 8:30am I arrived back at mine at roughly 7:45pm!(including dropping the parents off and unpacked) Longest brake the car got was about 25 minutes. Fair to say, I’m rather shattered...

That's bloody good going.  The best I've ever managed was Edinburgh to Gravesend with a hangover and no break - but you've beaten me hands down there!

Didn't have the Patton or the Challenger 1 when I went.  Maybe I'll go next year...

@ProgRockermade a fantastic observation on the modern forum; A Dacia Logan (effectively a Sandero estate) is similar in size to a Sierra.

How can that be? Sierra = Big. Sandero = small (not far away)

But wait...

Sierra 

Length 4521mm
Width

1727mm

Logan

Length 4501mm
Width 1994mm

ORLY? ?

This isn’t a rant about cars getting bloated. We all know why. I just, strangely, want one more now! 

I was thinking about dashboards earlier, every car I owned simply HAD to have a full complimesnt of gauges - oil pressure, volts, fuel, temp rev counter etc. Now I hate too many gauges as they just worry me to death I love the fact that to get the temp gauge to display on the Merc I have to go into a meny and put it on the dash. Needless to say, I don't. The one thing I still MUST have is a rev counter (tachometer) and I only want that so I can see when it changes gear and if it is in top.

I have become old and sad.

9 minutes ago, xtriple said:

I was thinking about dashboards earlier, every car I owned simply HAD to have a full complimesnt of gauges - oil pressure, volts, fuel, temp rev counter etc. Now I hate too many gauges as they just worry me to death I love the fact that to get the temp gauge to display on the Merc I have to go into a meny and put it on the dash. Needless to say, I don't. The one thing I still MUST have is a rev counter (tachometer) and I only want that so I can see when it changes gear and if it is in top.

I have become old and sad.

One feature I really liked with the C2 is being able to turn off the dashboard bar the speedo and tach. I found driving without even a clock to be a much more relaxed experience and the only other actually useful thing on the dash is the fuel gauge and that's a bit crap anyway.

On 9/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, egg said:

Been meaning to pap this for a while, a little serviced pez station (but they only had diesel today) in place called Egerton on a hill near Ashford

A couple of doors up is the associated garage

It has quite a good view for a Petrol station

P9120070.thumb.JPG.74d41fc07fdd8f675642988ca1f709ad.JPG

The whole set-up

P9120074.thumb.JPG.68cf3fe8427271c75b286e886cc72aa0.JPG 

been up there when it was icey, deadly

Back home after a weekend in London. Mingebag spec hotel in Hounslow, asian cash & carry shopping, 40th birthday bash in an expensive hotel in Richmond with £2500 put behind the bar in advance by hosting couple, Sunday in Pickledwilly Surplus at the Comedy Store for an improv night (bit like Whose line is it anyway?) with Paul Merton, Richard Vranch, Neil Mullarky and 3 others, smoked out by a spliff smoking moron on the tube, 3 Wetherspoons breakfasts and 2 Wetherspoons dinners, charity shop shopping in Farnborough on way home this afternoon which resulted in this quality £4 purchase for either the shed or garage.

IMG_7803.thumb.JPG.f0735f09dd5b1a8db45bd2eaf421caac.JPG

I'm now quite knackered, and looking forward to a nice cup of tea and the spag Bol I've got brewing on the stove