The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

A road captain in his distinctive little  brown Fiat Panda thingy on a 55 plate  ......

as I am passing some parked cars , zooms around a junction and up to the front of my car , waving and pointing at me to "get on my side"

as I said "distinctive little  brown Fiat Panda thingy on a 55 plate"  that I recognised ...

who has just shit on his own door step ....... 

I mean who takes exception to this ... must be a Formby driver ...

vlcsnap-4539-04-15-17h14m22s774.thumb.png.f365dd4ed34a338d1f72c9c14bf409c0.png

I used to leave the bird seed on a shelf in the garage but something was getting at it. I don't know what, I've never seen anything or any droppings, though the garage is hardly airtight. So I moved the birdseed to the top of the garage wall, well over six feet up and guess what? 

IMG_20190913_182019.thumb.jpg.13c38f104a421c964fa74801c5cb6c33.jpg

And for context. IMG_20190913_182051.thumb.jpg.23efc240fd139e033b3c436148b77061.jpgIt's on top of that brick post. 

The car is covered in discarded seed shells. IMG_20190913_182058.thumb.jpg.b6ac68af0581bfa19503b073c96fa82f.jpg

I still don't know what it is but I'm starting to admire its perseverance and am thinking I should just leave some seeds out for it. It doesn't like fat balls though. 

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

.....which itself is a slight improvement* on Rhyl.

Prestatyn used to have the bigger drug problem, these days the whole of north wales is blighted. My parents do “feeding the roofless” in Wrexham, which Is a church organised weekly food bank for the homeless ( they have to be listed on the local shelters and referred). 38 this last weekend, and several were zombies on spice.

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

I used to leave the bird seed on a shelf in the garage but something was getting at it. I don't know what, I've never seen anything or any droppings, though the garage is hardly airtight. So I moved the birdseed to the top of the garage wall, well over six feet up and guess what? 

IMG_20190913_182019.thumb.jpg.13c38f104a421c964fa74801c5cb6c33.jpg

And for context. IMG_20190913_182051.thumb.jpg.23efc240fd139e033b3c436148b77061.jpgIt's on top of that brick post. 

The car is covered in discarded seed shells. IMG_20190913_182058.thumb.jpg.b6ac68af0581bfa19503b073c96fa82f.jpg

I still don't know what it is but I'm starting to admire its perseverance and am thinking I should just leave some seeds out for it. It doesn't like fat balls though. 

Any droppings? I’m thinking mice. Rats would be a bigger mess.

If you want to stop it, you need to put the seeds in an old biscuit tin or similar.  Most rodents won't bother gnawing through a tin but will go through wooden or plastic containers.  The plastic bag and being up high is no obstacle at all, your lovely rack of tools is a perfect rodent ladder.  I'd vote mice too, they don't always leave droppings where they collect and eat the food.  For the sake of your car's wiring and interior, I'd be moving the seeds elsewhere completely.

3 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

A friend has just saved this old girl after 30 years laid up since 1989, hoping it hasn’t seized. Bidding went into 4 figures to see off the hotrod crew though.. it’s in very good hands

747A9AEF-C082-453E-94C0-BD6D6A6831EC.jpeg

That is an absolute beauty. It's identical to my parent's neighbours example JSX88T which he had in the 1980s, which I always admired as a kid.

One of my managers got clocked at 80 in a 30 last night. Then when he saw blue lights behind him decided the thing to do was put his foot down on his brand new 1.4 Corsa. It took an impressive amount of distance for them to catch him so I can only assume they weren't really trying very hard. He's been driving for exactly two years and a day, I suspect possibly not for much longer. By the time I'd been driving that long I'd settled comfortably into Volvo ownership, none of this evading police nonsense.

I wanted to put this in the grin thread, but it felt a bit cruel even though 80 in a 30 is the sort of thing that absolutely deserves removal of driving rights.

One of my managers got clocked at 80 in a 30 last night. Then when he saw blue lights behind him decided the thing to do was put his foot down on his brand new 1.4 Corsa. It took an impressive amount of distance for them to catch him so I can only assume they weren't really trying very hard. He's been driving for exactly two years and a day, I suspect possibly not for much longer. By the time I'd been driving that long I'd settled comfortably into Volvo ownership, none of this evading police nonsense.
I wanted to put this in the grin thread, but it felt a bit cruel even though 80 in a 30 is the sort of thing that absolutely deserves removal of driving rights.
Eh yea that's pushing it a bit.

I wouldn't be doing that even as a Paramedic on blue lights, that's well out of my comfort zone. And daft.

I wonder if that would cross the threshold for dangerous driving; driving far below the standards of a reasonably competent driver...

44 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Eh yea that's pushing it a bit.

I wouldn't be doing that even as a Paramedic on blue lights, that's well out of my comfort zone. And daft.

I wonder if that would cross the threshold for dangerous driving; driving far below the standards of a reasonably competent driver...

Going by the second hand information I got last night, it's very likely he'll be getting done for dangerous driving. If he comes out of the other side of this with a licence I'll be very surprised.

When he first passed his test he had a habit of sitting about a foot off the back of me when we were leaving town after a shift because he thought it was funny. I thought he'd got better since then, but obviously not. He's meant to be working tonight, I wonder how he's going to get in...

Behold the magnificence of the fleet this morning. the xm started with the “ stop! Low coolant” false alarm first thing, so I took the connector off and gave it a scrape and it’s been fine since. The rest of the day 8.30 am until now, has been in front of a computer inputting six months income and expenditure into quickbooks. Press a button to calculate the quarterly vat repayment and amazingly it almost tallies with my excel spreadsheet!

5F83FCBC-88F6-4E93-B4EF-23C56B6DAA6C.jpeg

1 hour ago, reb said:

Going by the second hand information I got last night, it's very likely he'll be getting done for dangerous driving. If he comes out of the other side of this with a licence I'll be very surprised.

When he first passed his test he had a habit of sitting about a foot off the back of me when we were leaving town after a shift because he thought it was funny. I thought he'd got better since then, but obviously not. He's meant to be working tonight, I wonder how he's going to get in...

I wouldn't be surprised if he came out the other side with his freedom too. Or at least a suspended sentence. 

As if my day couldn't get it any better..

IMG_20190914_170511.thumb.jpg.8ba7bb21d0f0bf99a75a6d95aa28d97d.jpg

This thing shat a rear wheelbearing.

Luckily about 1.2 miles from home. I walked back and got the GSA + tools.

You can tell it's fucked as they usually come off by hand.

IMG_20190914_174732.thumb.jpg.2c2f4fc3eded2e2884a88d213ff684cf.jpg

This is suboptimal

IMG_20190914_174812.thumb.jpg.ba1e93e52fa24aa65e1a097f38245af7.jpg

All the bearings have escaped and the casing is in two bits.

I had a spare disc so swapped that on. Couldn't get the pad carrier to line up properly, and couldn't be arsed fiddling with it whilst lying on the main road, so it got limped home at 20mph.

It's sitting outside awaiting the work. Now I need to order parts.

It managed 2.5k after a full suspension and brake rebuild before fucking up. A whole 3.5 months.

Just lucky it never let go on way to/back from Swansea.

MOT,major service,new tyres and front brakes this morning.

Clean pass no advisories,pleased with this.

Last year it went to the Nissan main dealer as i was planning in keeping the main dealer service history ,but due to the piss poor service I received.

I put it into my mates place.A major service,new pads and the MOT came in at £200 less than last years mainstealers.

Here is a photo of the air filter that the main dealer,"changed last year" yeah !! that i was charged for..

20190914_151258.jpg