The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I think I qualify for 'clever sod of the day' today. As we car idiot savants do when we get a new (to us) car, levels of various fluids are checked and if needed, adjusted. So I did all the levels and the washer fluid was low (corrected without any visits from the fuck up fairy) and so was the power steering. Only a tad low but still I have ATF in the cupboard so top up. Incidentally, MB really make it easy for non car savvy people to check these things, PAS resevoir is under the engine cover and so totally hidden (Yes really!) and therefore never likely to be checked.

Possibly for the best...

Now, somewhere along the line, some snippet of information has weedled its way into the porridge between my ears and I had a sudden fear that the PAS doesn't use ATF but some MB specific shit. So I checked, yes, yes indeed it does use MB specific stuff (though it's not actually MB specific!) Pentosin CHF11S which is green. Mixing of the two fluids will result in the outbreak of WW3 in the digestive tract of power steering and hence a HUGE bill for a new pump, rack, associated pipework... Of course, you will also get a visit from nice men from the ministry of Mercedes Benz who will give you a kicking you are unlikely to forget.

In the whole of Torbay there was precisely 1 litre of Pentosin CHF11S. Just one and that was at Euro Car parts, my least favourite place. They also wanted £29 for one effin' litre of green shit!

Once I had recovered (though I did beat them down to £18.08 by judicious use of the 'I'm trade you bastards!' phrase) I went home and with the aid of the smallest syringe known to man (previous use was in administering a drug to Phoebe and a pretty small dose at that) got all the fluids out of the resevoir and replaced it with Pentosin CHF11S.  Putting new in was a damn sight quicker and easier than getting the old stuff out. 

I ran it up and down, went to the shop, took the dog to the park and then drained it again - somewhere around the 5000 syringe full I was losing the will to live but it got done, another load of new in and it should be all good now?

It should, shouldn't it? someone PLEASE tell me it's all gonna be okay...

Sorry for the rant,

Yours,

Concerned of Torbay.

It’s the last time I buy anything from GSF as I ordered a set of pads for the rear of the Z3 and when they arrived in the post I received front pads.

So when I emailed and phoned them they lied and said I ordered fronts but I had the receipt that categorically said Rear Pads.

When that didn’t work I was told that the fronts are the same as the back which they are not so I took photos of the different sizes/specs and part numbers off their own website to then be told to send them back for a refund at my expense with no offer of sending me out the correct parts.

F702DE24-2E2D-46B7-AB41-87D3CE7C326C.png

81EE44A2-8C69-4A70-B678-0443229282D0.png

32B993AC-7317-4504-8F76-374D9B1E154A.jpeg

More Micra saga...

Bored today so took it out for a 3 hour drive, all local roads, no fast carriageways. Battery light still on.

Upon arrovong back, I noticed the airbag light flashing.  Parked up and switched off engine. Tried to switch it back on and it turned over very slowly indicating battery borked again, so it looks like alternator is toast. Back to the garage tomorrow.

22 hours ago, brownnova said:

The plan is to do the coffee table something like this and put the tax discs under Perspex to protect them. 

15E41C3F-D596-4F07-A40A-99CD9BA74494.jpeg

Apparently the old ones (60s & 70s) are too old for the table and need to go in a frame. - Her words not mine. 

I’ve every one for the 2cv - from 1985, and every one for the x1/9 from 1988. All in a nice folder ( for each car).

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Road trip in an Astra G? Grim

You've seen the thread for the car, yes? Grim is an understatement.

Latest updates from him is that they're still somewhere north of Preston (the overnight stop) and it keeps putting the EML on and cutting the boost.

I bet that's fun*.

16 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

You've seen the thread for the car, yes? Grim is an understatement.

Latest updates from him is that they're still somewhere north of Preston (the overnight stop) and it keeps putting the EML on and cutting the boost.

I bet that's fun*.

I haven't. Now I've read the thread it makes you wonder if he's passing the coast at anytime. That way it can be left to get into the sea. 

Maybe Uphill beach just outside Weston Super Mare?

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

I can’t video and drive at the same time. I’m not hubnut’s DW! The xm is growing on me, but it’s missing a litre and a manual gearbox from the ronin cars. 

I dunno, from what I remember of my auto xm, if you fucking booted it it went, had many a win at traffic light racing! Had to start off gently then once it was 'off the clitch' Bury your foot! I saw 4mpg once... 

Still haven't beaten my Marlow to stokenchurch time (after a phonecall from a heavily pregnant Amy with pains). It just held the road and kept itself straight (long sweeping corners). Darednt try and repeat it in the zx, I'll be in a field in no time

On 9/11/2019 at 7:32 AM, egg said:

Yes, my Mazda does a bit of that - ideal* for listening to Test Match Special.

The AM radio in my Golf does this but it's so shit that it won't even go down to 198LW.  I found an obscure repeating transmitter in London but I live too far out now to get it.  So I had to put an aux jack in and use my phone instead.

That cost me £35 for the adapter box.  But it did mean I got to listen to Stoke's antics in the third test...

5 hours ago, egg said:

Been meaning to pap this for a while, a little serviced pez station (but they only had diesel today) in place called Egerton on a hill near Ashford

P9120067.thumb.JPG.89cbe92bda975c883ea85db89c8d3647.JPG

A couple of doors up is the associated garage

P9120071.thumb.JPG.873bb6422676182dd18f6c89daf92d49.JPG

It has quite a good view for a Petrol station

P9120070.thumb.JPG.74d41fc07fdd8f675642988ca1f709ad.JPG

The whole set-up

P9120074.thumb.JPG.68cf3fe8427271c75b286e886cc72aa0.JPG 

I used to live a couple of miles away from that one and always enjoyed driving past.  Never needed to fill up there, sadly.  Good find.  Egerton's nice.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

I haven't. Now I've read the thread it makes you wonder if he's passing the coast at anytime. That way it can be left to get into the sea. 

Maybe Uphill beach just outside Weston Super Mare?

Blackpool is only 15 miles west from where I am now, but that would mean I’d have to go to Blackpool...

It’s grim, but it’s a good grim with character. The car that is, not Blackpool...

13 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Blackpool is only 15 miles west from where I am now, but that would mean I’d have to go to Blackpool...

It’s grim, but it’s a good grim with character. The car that is, not Blackpool...

16 minutes ago, Mally said:

Pretty fair description of Blackpool itself TBH.

One of my colleagues took herself and her family up to Blackpool a few weeks ago for a week's break. This was the first time they had ever visited the place (usually they jet off to exotic places), so I gave them a potted history of the town and its purpose as the place for a good old-fashioned working-class holiday, i.e. don't expect too much.

They apparently had a whale of a time, and she is making plans to go back there!!!

On 9/11/2019 at 11:20 PM, brownnova said:

Nope, I haven’t ever bought any. All mine are ones I collected when I was a youngster. My 70s ones are all Tractor ones from a friend of my parents farm. 

Ah ha! I knew I had posted it somewhere on the forum before :)

tax-disc-1971-disabled-exempt-invacar_360_e9c6fe90be5c5c0a787601015610fad8.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tax-disc-1971-disabled-exempt-invacar-1545220063

found it again while reading through Eggs Mk12 thread again :)

https://autoshite.com/topic/34488-invacar-mk12-no-v5-yet-happier-with-the-dvla/?do=findComment&comment=1788254

Does this count as entrance to the 6-Cylinder club?

20190913_125025_HDR.thumb.jpg.aff68d19386ea4507b2bb7bc68ff6a8d.jpg

Just picked up this Ami-6 engine.  It turns over but is quite possibly scrap otherwise.  The idea is to teach my kids a little about engines while we strip it down & possibly rebuild.  if it's any good it can be a spare for my Mum & Dad's 2CV.  Can't wait to get 5 mins and some space in the shit tip garage to get cracking.

6 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

What is this?

9CF228C3-9D9E-49A4-A979-C4FAEA73A912.thumb.jpeg.2988845edccaa3ada497a590ad6bb8ca.jpeg

This is by far the most fancy motorway services I’ve been to! (Farmhouse, near Gloucester), Not the overpriced WHS and dodgy food court I’m used to...

Maybe not overpriced, but the cake slice prices do rival those of Patisserie Valerie and are not that far off the Japanese patisserie "Wa"  here in Ealing

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

One of my colleagues took herself and her family up to Blackpool a few weeks ago for a week's break. This was the first time they had ever visited the place (usually they jet off to exotic places), so I gave them a potted history of the town and its purpose as the place for a good old-fashioned working-class holiday, i.e. don't expect too much.

They apparently had a whale of a time, and she is making plans to go back there!!!

The only I know who stay in Blackpool do so they fancy a change from Prestatyn 

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I spend the odd weekend there, have done for 65 years or more.

Mainly working class as you say. Very run down in places. Prom is nice now on a sunny day.

They often have to move a new Jag or Range Rover to let me off the car park though.