The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Anyway, this afternoon I was parking up at the post office, returning the unused Mini parts to Autodoc and a chap is standing admiring the Audi. I never tire of seeing their faces when I tell them that I won it!

Ended up having a natter with him about his Sierra and how polybushes and coilovers are shite for a daily.

Good stuff!

13 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Gets a bit old, this "all Vauxhalls are...".

For balance, Ford are doing it as well and the advert contains the voice of a passenger who suggests scrapping the car because it has a 'CD player' and non-working air con.

It's fucking abominable.

I heard that advert earlier and thought.... one of mine has a cassette player and no air con and on another you open a little flap in the bodywork for ventilation! You can keep your fancy CD players and air con ability thank you very much I’ll be driving my old heaps. 

8 hours ago, reb said:

I'm in some strange alien place. Dressed suitably scruffily to make sure nobody tries to sell me a car.

20190910_124432.thumb.jpg.70aa64d27c32c51f06db063e62c48539.jpg

20190910_124427.thumb.jpg.11aeb5c5393df42049f652177bc7d12c.jpg

I quite like the look of that Duster, I think it has future classic in the line of other greats like old Lada and so on, its a bargain for what it is anyway and so unexceptional, I am tempted to get one (not new though). 

My car has a cassette player with auto-reverse and Dolby NR. Who needs this swanky CD stuff anyway?

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

I heard that advert earlier and thought.... at least one of mine has a cassette player and no air con and on another you open a little flap in the bodywork for ventilation! You can keep your fancy CD players and air con ability thank you very much! 

11 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Medium and Long Wave radio is for winners, especially when the signal is affected by the operation of another device like the alternator, wipers and so on. Just like old times!

Is that it? I get interference passing traffic lights and going under motorway bridges when listening to Medium Wave radio.

I love Long Wave radio though, it means I can listen to BBC Radio 4 in France and most of Belgium.

Back at the garage today for Micra fettlege:

20190910_221521.thumb.jpg.62e267e8809b9f84858c6049ebd8e0f0.jpg

Was meant to pick it up yesterday but was ill. However, I found today that the new battery was also dead which pointed to some severe battery drainage somewhere.  Some testing with a multi-meter whilst painfully pulling fuses out narrowed it down to a fuse labelled "INTERIOR LAMP" the problem was, this fuse also controlled the mile-meter, petrol guage and radio, so I couldn't really leave the fuse off. Time to narrow it down some more....

With everything in place:

20190910_183227.thumb.jpg.90088a7da1eefef3d547b10e1ffd9828.jpg

20190910_183201.thumb.jpg.9dd367a800cb65d5d508941127b82be6.jpg

Quite severe. Up to 1.38 at its highest reading.

With bulb from from interior lamp taken out:

20190910_182951.thumb.jpg.7e5f8ac6d0a30d51052d169d0a37e309.jpg

Acceptable but still higher than it needs to be. I'd prefer 0.01.

The bulb was left in on the higher readings and despite being in for less than minute was quite hot when I took it off. Seems to me quite odd that an interior light can drain a battery so fast.

So some more investigating needs to be done.

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Medium and Long Wave radio is for winners, especially when the signal is affected by the operation of another device like the alternator, wipers and so on. Just like old times!

Yes, my Mazda does a bit of that - ideal* for listening to Test Match Special.

11 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

So, Vauxhall, all are shit etc, are offering four fucking bags scrappage if you 

buy a new one. Bit desperate innit ?

It’s just marketing. Next month they’ll be offering a £2000 discount and £2000 deposit contribution without the trade-in  

I bet the £4000 is off full list price....

10 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

The bulb was left in on the higher readings and despite being in for less than minute was quite hot when I took it off. Seems to me quite odd that an interior light can drain a battery so fast.

So some more investigating needs to be done.

Wrong power bulb or crappy switches with high resistances? Other causes include another interior light somewhere in the car but fallen and hidden behind a panel, that sort of thing. Aftermarket radio using more power than OEM radio or wired incorrectly.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I wonder when was the last time someone paid full list price for a new Vauxhall.

I can't really fathom why anyone would buy a new Corsa now anyway - it's a 13-year-old design and you can pick up a decent used example of basically the same car for under a grand now.

But that doesn't have Facebook connectivity.

9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Well one of my cars doesn't even have a radio.  So there.

None of my cars has a working radio. Not even the borrowed BMW! The Matiz has one, but it only takes USB/Aux and I can't be arsed sorting any music out. It doesn't like my old WMA files when I tried those, so I gave up. Don't think the aerial is connected as zero radio. The CityRover has one, but the controls are knackered, so you only get Radio 2 at a volume you can't actually hear. The Fox has one, but it's entirely dead. 

3 hours ago, 3VOM said:

Wrong power bulb or crappy switches with high resistances? Other causes include another interior light somewhere in the car but fallen and hidden behind a panel, that sort of thing. Aftermarket radio using more power than OEM radio or wired incorrectly.

Hmmm. Putting my thoughts on here. The radio is a proper Nissan jobbie but from a later K12. It doesn't switch on without the ignition. The wires behind the radio are standard connectors with possibly only a non-OEM connector. Can't remember.

There are no more interior lights in the car, its a fairly low-spec jobbie.