The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 9/4/2019 at 7:59 PM, holbeck said:

Schoolboy error alert. 

1 hour before going to work I decided to change the alternator belt on the C15.

I once tried changing a diesel fuel filter in my lunch break on a 1.8 lynx focus...

No lift pump or priming bulb on them. Took literally days to get it started.

The more I drove the MG Express over the last week or so, the more I became convinced that the loss of power was due to a dodgy MAF rather than a boost issue - the power delivery was slightly irregular and it just felt a bit odd, rather than just gutless.  So yesterday I ordered a cheapo pattern MAF off of eBay.  To my surprise it turned up today, so I fitted it when I got home from work, then took it for a spin armed with my 0-60 app.

20190906_234030a.jpg.f5b2cc546f8c57655caee32e7fed588e.jpg

That's a bit more like it...

16 hours ago, HMC said:

^ Best colour, and a very early one - thought the earliest were R platers?

I think it was on the first boat over from America and is very early  right hand drive.

The only difference with mine and the slightly newer R plate ones is you can’t fit roll over hoops on mine as it won’t have the brackets welded in for retrofitting hoops but luckily I’m quite short lol.

Spurred on by triggers painting I thought I would make a start. So nice bright day with no wind. Bottoms of both doors ,n side wing , bonnet and rear bumper. They came out looking ok except for the bonnet. Four coats of laquer and it looks crap. I am sure you can probably sand it and keep going with laquer. Anyway £38.00 on paint and stuff so not bad. Looks ok from 10 foot. Will get some winter tyres this week and carry on. 

20190907_164050.jpg

20190907_120141.jpg

20190907_120151.jpg

20190907_120201.jpg

20190907_164010.jpg

20190907_164030.jpg

20190907_164041.jpg

Just hoovered the car (I know it's a generic term but I can't be arsed to say 'I just Black and Decker car vacumned the car') with a Black and decker car battery powered vaccumn cleaner (see, gotcha! :)   ) that my son bought me for Christmas last year. Well, I say 'he bought me' but actually, somebody bought him, he used it once, declared it to be utter crap and gave it to me, the twat, but he is indeed correct: it really is utter crap! I would have been better off sucking through a straw, and I have COPD! Regardless, I persevered to the point that the car was saying its battery was going flat and declared it done. I'm done, the cars battery is done, the carpet is anything but!

Also, I transferred the private plate to the car last night. I tried to do it online but everytime I've tried it's failed for one reason or another but I thought I'd give it a go then chuck all the paperwork in the post today. Effin' typically, it went straight through! Argh... I then rang the AA who also transferred the insurance to the new plate with no charge, no hassle and a jolly pleasant Scottish lady to speak to, to boot.

So the car is registered and insured on one number and is currently runnng around with a totally different set of plates on that no longer show as affixed to anything on DVLA!  New plates were due today... not arrived in delivery on a Saturday fail shocker. But what is/was really shocking was: DVLA getting their act together and just going thru.

18 hours ago, taxi paul said:

Spurred on by triggers painting I thought I would make a start. So nice bright day with no wind. Bottoms of both doors ,n side wing , bonnet and rear bumper. They came out looking ok except for the bonnet. Four coats of laquer and it looks crap. I am sure you can probably sand it and keep going with laquer. Anyway £38.00 on paint and stuff so not bad. Looks ok from 10 foot. Will get some winter tyres this week and carry on. 

20190907_164050.jpg

20190907_120141.jpg

20190907_120151.jpg

20190907_120201.jpg

20190907_164010.jpg

20190907_164030.jpg

20190907_164041.jpg

Good job man! Tis the day for it!

Hammerited the inside of the strut towers on the Audi today. They looked ok but I wanted to tidy it up a bit as there was some surface corrosion.

While the wheel was on but in the air I checked the ball joints and there is no movement at all! Not sure whether to just keep the ones I have ordered or return them. It came to about £40 quid but most of that was on postage. I'd have to pay that again if I sent them back so it seems a bit pointless. I was convinced that's what the noise was however I should have checked. Anyway, as long as it's not those safety critical items, I'll just file it under ignore for now.

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Just looking for an old car dealer on line, and looks who's back:

https://www.carcraft.co.uk/

Seem to be some sort of middle men now.

Bit of a bullet/foot interface there.

It’s all well and good reviving an old name to boost your online business, albeit one that’s rarely that successful...see Woolworths etc

However, that relies on the old name in question being one that has some affection in the eyes of the public.

Unfortunately, they’ve chosen to go with one which still has very strong negative connotations, with a lot of people still paying the price for involvement with its previous incarnation.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:41 PM, sims00 said:

So a collection happened today after work... massively long shift but I was looking forward to this all day. 25 mins down the road.

It's absolutely GORGEOUS and genuinely, immaculate is the word. Garaged most of its life with low long term owners, mainly BMW stamps and receipts. It's a dream. Full electrics, heated seats, ice cold climate, etc etc. I love the velour. Smooth and plenty of power on tap. In love.

20190826_144608_zpstbbt9a4n.jpg

20190826_144843_zpsjxcqpgn0.jpg

20190826_144635_zpsmuho0jr7.jpg

20190826_144304_zpswqr6kins.jpg

Lovely E39 there, these things are great.  Well bought sir.

7 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Hammerited the inside of the strut towers on the Audi today. They looked ok but I wanted to tidy it up a bit as there was some surface corrosion.

While the wheel was on but in the air I checked the ball joints and there is no movement at all! Not sure whether to just keep the ones I have ordered or return them. It came to about £40 quid but most of that was on postage. I'd have to pay that again if I sent them back so it seems a bit pointless. I was convinced that's what the noise was however I should have checked. Anyway, as long as it's not those safety critical items, I'll just file it under ignore for now.

I've been unable to diagnose worn bushes myself before but on a ramp with a bfo pry bar these things often become apparent. I'd hold on to them. 

In saying that, there's a noise from my Audi that sounds an awful lot like a front top mount. I've had the whole front end in bits but never found it and neither has my MOT tester. 

5 minutes ago, dome said:

I've been unable to diagnose worn bushes myself before but on a ramp with a bfo pry bar these things often become apparent. I'd hold on to them. 

In saying that, there's a noise from my Audi that sounds an awful lot like a front top mount. I've had the whole front end in bits but never found it and neither has my MOT tester. 

Yeah I have a few noises like that on the Clio as well. I'll just turn up the radio for mow and hold onto the BJs!