The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Now this is a good game.

I have just tried 1 up and 1 down of mine but nothing,so i tried going till 1 turned up a 1.4 vauxhall that hasn't had T&T since 2013.

Tried MrsV8 plate 1 down gives a Harley Davidson,nothing 1 up though.

Brown envelope in today's post;  another car tax I thought after donating £265 last month  - I hope it's the wife's car at £30;  no, it is my second driving licence renewal offer which I reckon really sets  me on the slippery slope from wrinkly to coffin dodger.

It made me think how many over 70s ignore the licence renewal and are driving around without one, let alone the untruths about medical condition.  worryingly the questions don't include anything about general physical ability.  There are a good number around the village who struggle to get in and out of the car and/or  have badly reduced reaction times.

The final question is "any problem which needs driving to be restricted to certain types of vehicle........."  ;  would this mean a friend who has to have an automatic due to lower limb neuropathy should declare himself?  (as he hobbles around on two sticks).

"persistant alcohol use?" - looking at the supermarket trolleys leads me to suspect that this is under reported.

Me with my needing at least triple heart bypass and a replacement heart valve appear to  have nothing to report.

N180-N194CDB all seem to be Saabs with a couple still on the road. N195 onwards seem to be Vauxhalls. 

I tried the same with the R96 Saab and yes the ones either side are Saabsbut mine seems to be the only survivor from the block. 

It is a fun game to be fair! 

1 minute ago, kirton said:

Brown envelope in today's post;  another car tax I thought after donating £265 last month  - I hope it's the wife's car at £30;  no, it is my second driving licence renewal offer which I reckon really sets  me on the slippery slope from wrinkly to coffin dodger.

It made me think how many over 70s ignore the licence renewal and are driving around without one, let alone the untruths about medical condition.  worryingly the questions don't include anything about general physical ability.  There are a good number around the village who struggle to get in and out of the car and/or  have badly reduced reaction times.

The final question is "any problem which needs driving to be restricted to certain types of vehicle........."  ;  would this mean a friend who has to have an automatic due to lower limb neuropathy should declare himself?  (as he hobbles around on two sticks).

"persistant alcohol use?" - looking at the supermarket trolleys leads me to suspect that this is under reported.

Me with my needing at least triple heart bypass and a replacement heart valve appear to  have nothing to report.

My grandad had a heart valve replaced a year or so ago and had to go through the dvla stuff. Was touch and go for a time, he passed though. During it all Granny started driving again as she hadn't driven for a few years due to health. Would have fucked them right up if he had not got it back... Won't be long though I doubt, I still remember following them with Amy for a funeral some years ago, that was 'interesting' 

The reg.  look up game is addictive.

Strangely, looking up my motorbike the bike before mine is a Suzuki that only lasted 3 years, and the one after is a Yamaha that only lasted 3 years.

Mine is a Honda that was last mot'd 2017 and is now 30 years old.

9 minutes ago, brownnova said:

N180-N194CDB all seem to be Saabs with a couple still on the road. N195 onwards seem to be Vauxhalls. 

I tried the same with the R96 Saab and yes the ones either side are Saabsbut mine seems to be the only survivor from the block. 

It is a fun game to be fair! 

you would enjoy what I Have been doing in my thread recently then! 

and also why I would probably quite quickly get disqualified from this game :mrgreen:

Just replaced The Aero's engine oil and filter, as they were last changed at the end of February, when the car had a new crankshaft oil seal and bottom pulley fitted; I like to do an oil and filter change every six months, as I don't do a huge mileage any more and because of perceived sludging issues. The engine has barely leaked or consumed any oil since then :mrgreen: 

The filter change would have been easier if the garage seemingly hadn't done the old filter up with a filter wrench. I had to resort to the very messy method of using a big screwdriver hammered through the body of the filter several times to act as a lever to get it off. So it goes.

Also tried to replace the car's fuel filter, as it's not been replaced in all the time I've had the car, but the retaining bracket's bolt was rounded off and the fuel line connections were so corroded that I didn't even attempt to remove them. A job for a time when I have fewer chores and more patience than I do on a Saturday morning, I think.

Pawnote: if the underbody components of The Aero were a song, they'd be Kingdom of Rust by Doves. Surprisingly, the car's body itself is pretty sound, although the back wheelarches are just starting to go where they meet the rear of the sills. TADTS.

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

The reg.  look up game is addictive....

E450 GJN was a white Citroen BX, which seems not to have survived long enough to make it onto the MoT database.

E452 GJN is a Citroen AX that hasn't had MoT since May 2007 (the previous test was passed at 99120 miles with only n/s CV joint gaiter needing attention)

Ordered air and pollen filters on Thursday, arrived this morning while other stuff I ordered ten days ago is still MIA. But, discovered that while being sensible and buying two air filters (;cos it's got two!) and the advert saying '1 of' each of the two boxes contains... two air filters! I can't complain though as for some unknown reason when I went through 'checkout' the price I actually paid dropped by about 25% so four air filters cost me about £13 (I think, might have been £16) and one pollen filter cost me a

Was going to go out and do them but raining, tired, can't be arsed.

10 hours ago, Timewaster said:

The reg.  look up game is addictive.

It is. As I'm at a loose end at the moment, I checked on the status of nine other Volvos which were registered by Lex Brooklands Colindale on the same day as The Volvo, 1st September 1990 (I forgot that it's The Volvo's 'birthday' tomorrow!). It's not good news:

H360 FLH - No details held. I'm hoping that it was a 760 Turbo Intercooler Estate, but it was probably a 440.

H361 FLH - Grey 440. Died 1996

H362 FLH - Blue 440. Died 2001

H363 FLH - Blue 440. Died 2001

H364 FLH - Blue 440. Died 2004

H365 FLH - Blue 440. Died 2004

H366 FLH - The Volvo. Subject to a cherished number plate transfer in 2004 and now happily in semi-retirement by the seaside :mrgreen:

H367 FLH - White 740. Died 2014

H368 FLH - Red 440. Died 2008

H369 FLH - Red 440. Died 2003

H370 FLH - Blue 760 PRV V6. Died 2006

Only one of the 440s lasted beyond 15 years old. Apart from possibly H361 FLH, I presume that neglect and rampant rear wheelarch and sill rust sent the rest over the bridge before their time.

P393DOH not on database
P395DOH Green Rover 620 missing presumed dead, MoT exp 10/10

K539WRP not on database
K541WRP Peugeot 106 missing presumed dead, MoT exp 02/07

L533EOV Red Rover 420 missing presumed dead, MoT exp 10/08
L535EOV not on database

Streetwise

FE04JMW not on database
FE04JMY not on database
closest is FE04JMV Blue Rover 45 1.6 missing presumed dead, MoT exp 9/10

Accord Coupe

V488FLE not on database
V490FLE not on database
closest is V487FLE Blue Honda Civic 1.6 - it lives !

I am in shite company reg wise. Lambretta and Piaggio one and two up.

Bedford TM, Fantasia truck, and XJS one and two down. An eclectic group

I think you would agree. I'm putting myself forward as the shiter with the

most varied shite within two numbers up and down. The challenge is there.

Went to work this morning to do the end of the month paperwork. Came home and washed two cars. Then it rained. 

Fiat is full of v power super unleaded at an astronomical sum, is super clean and set to drive up to Wales next weekend to be put back in winter storage and swapped for the 2cv. Mercedes is still immobile awaiting the refitting of the air con compressor. I hope he knows how to refit everything as I needed to get something out of the boot today and most of the engine seems to be in it.

I need to book a summer holiday sometime too, but

a.need a working Mercedes, and

b. Needs to be before bloody boris Johnson fucks up the country further.

Volvo.

S910klm. V40 Died 16. Clean mot history and 75k.

S911klm . No such number. 

S912klm. S40. 80k and still going with cleanish mot.

S913klm v70. Died 13. 170k

s914klm. Invalid number 

s915klm. The Throbber. Ho hum. Taxed and tested tho, showing 230k

s916klm . No such number 

s917klm v40. Died 09.

s918klm s40, died 10

s919klm v40 died 17 .

mercedes 

s510nrh Chrysler neon vanished 05 with 100k

s511nrh v70. Vanished last year, 115k

S512 and 513 invalid numbers

s514nrh diesel Mercedes last seen in 12 with 250k on it

s515nrh. E300td. Alive and kicking 

s516nrh Not a number

s517nrh Isuzu trooper missing since 14

s518 not a number 

s519nrh also not a number.

Theyre dead Dave.

I currently have a works van (a 14 plate Transit Connect nicknamed Van Heflin, because it differentiated it from the motorhome we own which is just called, 'The Van') but it's being taken off me because I'm back on my original contract and thus office based - boo! However, it's also the Puglet's MOT time, and it failed on a few bits, one of which was handbrake efficiency which is down to the left cable being seized to fuck.

With a deadline approaching to hand the van back, and my own time and health not being up to replacing it I do the "normal" thing that "grown-ups are supposed to do" and stick my car into a garage yesterday to have them complete the remedial work for the MOT, because I didn't have the time to do so before the 14 days remedial period ran out,  i.e. today.
The car is still in the garage and won't be ready until Monday because "we weren't sent the correct handbrake cable*..."

Luckily my line manager has been wonderful and given me more time with the works' van, so I can get to work on Monday.

*I must admit that GSF and EPC listed 2 different cables for the reg. no. but their photos were shonky. The annoying thng is that the rear brakes are what you'd expect to find for this car: every other bit of suspension/brakes/driveshafts was free from a "scrapyard" Saxo...