The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, JoeyEunos said:

We've got the annual pass thing for Beamish and my wife insists we go there at least once a month. It's a great afternoon out and they do a decent classic car show there now and then but frankly I've seen enough of it now to last me a lifetime.

It was good but a bit frustrating, not just because it was busy and I don't like people. A bit more information on exhibits would have been better. Would go back though. When the schools aren't off...

12 minutes ago, dome said:

It was good but a bit frustrating, not just because it was busy and I don't like people. A bit more information on exhibits would have been better. Would go back though. When the schools aren't off...

There're little bits that you probably miss on your first visit, like the taxidermy rat terrier that is on display in the dentist's house that was allegedly several years old when killed in an accident and then *preserved. It's circa the size of a large hamster (They were smaller back then apparently)

I also missed the giant steam navvy on my first couple of trips.

48594935006_3b478438c7_b.jpg

As you mention, exhibits could do with more info, but Beamish are quite good at answering questions via there facebook page. I asked them about the beast pictured above, here's what they had to say....

Collected in the summer of 1970, the steam navvy weighs around 100 tons and is the largest object on site. Frank believed it to be the biggest remaining steam navvy, its working weight is 110 tons, the boom is 12 tons, the base is 13.5 tons and it has a three and a half ton bucket capacity. Its top speed was 5mph and it came to Beamish in 1970 from Hessle Quarry near Hull. It was bought for the museum for £150 by the Industrial Steam Preservation Group and was in quite good condition. The term “navvy” came about because, during the late 18th century, canal builders were nicknamed “inland navigators”, this became shortened to “navvies”. So when a machine was invented to replace these men, it in turn was called a steam navvy. When it was being driven down the road at Beamish towards Foulbridge it actually sank and had to be pulled out with a tank. A solid platform was built, the navvy was dragged onto it and that is where it stands today. Hope this is of interest to you! Best wishes Beamish museum

Asked to view a car, but it's in north west London and I can't get down til Sunday, because bike shop. 

Seller has someone else viewing on Friday morning. Bloody shame, as it looks clean, has plenty of service history, and is well priced. Wouldn't take a holding deposit either. 

Arse.

Is anyone around tomorrow that can  look over an 80s executive barge for me?

Another 150 miles covered in the Renault 6 today, down to Trigger's award winning monthly show at Shotley.  Should have been 140 miles but the feckers had closed the A140 on the way back.  Again the car ran fine (although I did have to flick the radiator fan on when stuck in stationary traffic on the A14) - it's done more miles in the last month than in the preceding 5 years...  Quality show too, as always, with an amazing mix of vehicles turning up, from Puch Maxis to a bastard great Merc-based Hymer camper thing.

8 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

There're little bits that you probably miss on your first visit, like the taxidermy rat terrier that is on display in the dentist's house that was allegedly several years old when killed in an accident and then *preserved. It's circa the size of a large hamster (They were smaller back then apparently)

I also missed the giant steam navvy on my first couple of trips.

48594935006_3b478438c7_b.jpg

I'm sure my mam has a picture of me in that bucket from about 40 years ago. Where the fuck is time going?

13 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

If the seller happened to be available, would it be possible to check that the car in question is as advertised? Don't mind covering expenses.

I might have an opportunity on Saturday. Friday is a bit tight as I am being interviewed by a certain magazine...

Get anything nice on holiday then?

IMG_20190822_104236780_HDR.thumb.jpg.02454e83dc14af819c83d4b7645b1030.jpg

No...

Recovery guy should be on here, he buys Disco IIs, puts 30k on them in a few months and then scraps them and buys another. He was off up to Falkirk to pick up a Range Rover Classic to take to Brighton so worked out nicely.