The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Made enquiries about a car locally that I want to view. Seller can't commit the time as he has visitors so I'm waiting on a call from him some time in the next few days. Shame as he sounded like a decent chap on the phone. 

I might have to bid on the car unseen if I can't see it.

Preparing for another house move, or at least shoving everything into storage until I work out where I'm going to live (post New Zealand). I really do have a lot of shit.

ECCE4JRX4AEpE_0.jpg

I mean, do I really need a model of the bus that used to drive past my house every day when I was growing up? Model cars and buses give me almost zero joy, most have boxes that are suffering with storage and so they'll never be worth any money. They just clog up boxes and end up being shifted from house to house. I think a clearout is needed.

31 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Preparing for another house move, or at least shoving everything into storage until I work out where I'm going to live (post New Zealand). I really do have a lot of shit.

ECCE4JRX4AEpE_0.jpg

I mean, do I really need a model of the bus that used to drive past my house every day when I was growing up? Model cars and buses give me almost zero joy, most have boxes that are suffering with storage and so they'll never be worth any money. They just clog up boxes and end up being shifted from house to house. I think a clearout is needed.

You want my mother to help you.

Rules 

1. Did you use it this week? If yes you can keep. 

2. Did you use it this year? If yes. Move to 3 if no move to 4.

3. So you used it? Did you need to use it? If you didn't use it, have you an alternative ? Ie. You used a whisk, could a fork have done the job. If there was an alternative, move to 4.

4. Are you wanting to keep this for sentiments?  Grow a pair. Bin, sell or charity shop. 

5. Do your relatives or friends want it left in your will.  Give it to them now. 

My mother? Fucking ruthless. 

That's it Dolly.  Have you actually played buses with the bus? No. 

DDo your friends want your bus?  Thats us by the way.  No. Does it have any value? SELL IT. I suggest a 1p start on eBay. 

Edited by New POD
Cause i did

2 minutes ago, egg said:

'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful'

William Morris was right, hard to be a shiter and follow that mantra entirely...

In 1984, whilst studying for an A level in Design, we were tasked with writting an essay about Willy Morris. 

Who knew that there are more than 1 great Designer called William Morris. 

Apparently my essay about the Bull nose and about side valve engine design missed the Mark. 

30 minutes ago, New POD said:

You want my mother to help you.

Rules 

1. Did you use it this week? If yes you can keep. 

2. Did you use it this year? If yes. Move to 3 if no move to 4.

3. So you used it? Did you need to use it? If you didn't use it, have you an alternative ? Ie. You used a whisk, could a fork have done the job. If there was an alternative, move to 4.

4. Are you wanting to keep this for sentiments?  Grow a pair. Bin, sell or charity shop. 

5. Do your relatives or friends want it left in your will.  Give it to them now. 

My mother? Fucking ruthless. 

That's it Dolly.  Have you actually played buses with the bus? No. 

DDo your friends want your bus?  Thats us by the way.  No. Does it have any value? SELL IT. I suggest a 1p start on eBay. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful'

William Morris was right, but hard to be a shiter and follow that mantra entirely...

And with unfortunate timing....

image.jpeg

8 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Neighbours tarmacked the road next to our house (end terrace) but left the driveway as it's the landlords problem, issue is their is quite the lip now into the drive, anything wider then a k11 wont fit without being two wheels on the new surface.   Is getting the little bit we have (roughly 1 and half k11's in length) levelled and tarmacked a stupidly expensive affair?

Yes.

51 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

ECCE4JRX4AEpE_0.jpg

I can beat that.

On my desk at work is a custom artwork (courtesy of our very own Vulgalour) of the bus I used to go shopping with my gran on during the school holidays back in the 80s

The bus that made me want to be a bus driver as a child and the memories of which made me get my PSV when I was 21 so I could get to drive one someday.

F2DF4784-425C-4F0D-ABDC-50C0B0ED2199.thumb.jpeg.b1af808c45122e16f2cab48b61b56b20.jpeg

The closest I ever came to fulfilling my life’s ambition of driving a National was when I found myself living in Nuneaton with Mrs number 2 and took a job at Stagecoach.

Only to find they’d defleeted the last one a week before I started.

The inconsiderate fuckers.

PS dibs on the TWM Leyland if you’re getting shut. I drove one of them very briefly out of the Coventry garage ?

I told myself no more cars for a while.  But it's a cheap, early Senator B, and it's brown all over.

20190815_195746.thumb.jpg.0c2e5794c2d5b79b10a7301938db6b16.jpg

20190815_200757.thumb.jpg.20169a57dde07158b740635b431a4f19.jpg

It's also a non-runner, but appears to be fuel starvation.  Pump and filter are new, and it was running until fairly recently.  I viewed in on Tuesday and tried to resist, but the prospect of owning another Senator for £not much was causing my head to explode, so did the deal this evening.

It's still at the sellers, and if I can't fix it by the roadside in the next few days I'll get it trailered to my parents and dump it on their drive for a bit.

11 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

No options for levelling to match using another material? 

If not then the next car I get which no doubt will be wider then a k11 will not fit.  

Photo would help.

Always options, all I'm saying is having tarmac laid is expensive, and depending who does it may not last.

You can buy a few bags from Wicks,( other suppliers are available), and smack, it down with a lump hammer, but it won't be pretty :)

Wacker plate can do a decent job, but depends on base and how thick.

11 hours ago, RobT said:

I told myself no more cars for a while.  But it's a cheap, early Senator B, and it's brown all over.

20190815_195746.thumb.jpg.0c2e5794c2d5b79b10a7301938db6b16.jpg

20190815_200757.thumb.jpg.20169a57dde07158b740635b431a4f19.jpg

It's also a non-runner, but appears to be fuel starvation.  Pump and filter are new, and it was running until fairly recently.  I viewed in on Tuesday and tried to resist, but the prospect of owning another Senator for £not much was causing my head to explode, so did the deal this evening.

It's still at the sellers, and if I can't fix it by the roadside in the next few days I'll get it trailered to my parents and dump it on their drive for a bit.

Oh dibs on that!

I can't top the Castrol for 30p a litre post from a couple of pages back, but Tesco near me were knocking out 10w/40 semi and fully synth 5w/40 engine oil in 4 litre bottles for £8 each earlier. I got some 10w/40 for the Daewoo which has only done 2k since the last change but that was the first change its had in about 5 years so treating this last change as a flush more than anything. Also got a new oil filter from ECP for £1.81 using the daily discount code so thats an oil change for under a tenner tomorrow.