The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well my mental brain has kicked in again.
Went for a piss at 1am, got back in bed and off it went "blah blah blah, work, mortgage, mum Ill, football tomorrow"
Laid listening to it for an hour and then thought bollocks, so phone and tea it is.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Just won a complete, modern (2004), running Vauxhall diesel for 99p on eBay that was listed in the wrong section. What are the chances of the vendor honouring it? Non-existent, at a guess. 

I thought that is the going rate for old vauxhalls nowadays with 12 months ticket of course ??

11 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Saw loads of foreign minis traveling back to the docks, was there a show on?

Only managed to snap a few.

There was the Mini international show on in Bristol at the weekend. Kept seeing minis all over Bristol on the weekend. 

Given the amount of rain and bad weather we had over the weekend, I imagine there will be far less making the trip back. Rusted away over the weekend from being sat in a soggy field. Just one big pile of rust sitting in the middle. 

25 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Saw loads of foreign minis traveling back to the docks, was there a show on?

Only managed to snap a few.

20190812_154724.jpg

20190812_154802.jpg

20190812_154658.jpg

20190812_154709.jpg

When I was in Perthshire in April I saw an absolute FUCKTON of Minis from the Netherlands - not afraid of a bit of travel clearly!

Once again I haven't slept at all, even with a sleeping pill!  Brain (damn thing) would not shut down and let me have some peace. Also, I have to go outside and clean the inside of the Merc and it is pissing down. No choice though, can't give it to new owner(s) in the state it's in ... unless they have a real 'thing' for dog hair!

19 hours ago, Bren said:

The carpetof the passat has SD1 levels of water. Not coming in through the scuttle but via the doors - in particular the front. Rainwater is getting past the seal used between the door and the plate that holds all the furniture.

Just found the exact same issue on mine, how hard is it to get the door panel off?

To check pour water down glass with door open. Eventually you may see water drip off bottom of door from behind door card. Cards quite easy to get off - lots of vids on youtube - but you will break some clips. You will need a bead of silicone along bottom of door plate.

10 hours ago, SiC said:

There was the Mini international show on in Bristol at the weekend. Kept seeing minis all over Bristol on the weekend. 

Given the amount of rain and bad weather we had over the weekend, I imagine there will be far less making the trip back. Rusted away over the weekend from being sat in a soggy field. Just one big pile of rust sitting in the middle. 

DWs ferry back from Croatia had many minis and 2cvs. It’s on his latest hubnut video.

In local news, the seemingly epic AC fix is on again. John came to the house this morning to remove the old compressor and bracket to take away and drill out the broken bolt. Now I can’t drive the car as it has no aux belt etc. I am convinced now that when it is all fixed and new that we will have the coldest end to an August ever and I will need the heater on.

It would appear that our renewal quote for madam on the Toyota is well over £1200, we've only paid £1000 TPFT for her first year of motoring as a named driver.

Some quick internetting has revealed a maximum so far of £690 comprehensive with 1 year's experience and no dings as a named driver. The search resumes tomorrow, get paid next week so maybe get the policy a month in advance for the forthcoming year.

Just after getting the CX back from first fluid change after gearbox rebuild. There was a massive American hearse up on the ramps when I got to the workshop; workshop boss says it's been up there two weeks already, waiting for parts to arrive from the US. Also there's a coffin in the back of it.

IMG_20190813_171900[1].jpg

IMG_20190813_171919[1].jpg

IMG_20190813_171930[1].jpg

When I collected the Merc from JohnK he pointed out that somebody had moved the cigarette lighter (or power socket these days) from the ashtray at the front to the rear. Something confirmed by a blue and brown wire that were running down the side of the centre console.

So today I thought I'd have a look about returning it to it's rightful place.

This greated me behind the ashtray when I removed it.

IMG_20190813_155928.thumb.jpg.5e67194b5a063eb023949be56a1e3032.jpg

WTF I thought.

Removed a lot of duct tape and this was found.

IMG_20190813_160318.thumb.jpg.2880fd1ecda283c9a11b343426a7ccab.jpg

Yep, that's the cigarette lighter socket with loads of extra wires to it.

The pink, black and blue and brown went here, to the rear.

IMG_20190813_160352.thumb.jpg.46699969330a9f331a83a9a02554447e.jpg

Best was this.

IMG_20190813_155921.thumb.jpg.0610f6ba66c794d4096ac92696be3939.jpg

That's the cd holder that somebody has decided to illuminate using the bulb from the ash tray.

Took the, "fuck this for a game of soldiers attitude" and removed all the "additional" wiring, then soldered and heat shrinked everything back as it should be. I will add, all the extra wires were either chocolate blocked or just twisted together.

Just have to find where the thin extra red and black wires went, the're currently twisted around the cruise control. Job for later.

Mrs Pirate and myself did go to Torquay today, to meet a very nice man with very nice dogs, and after drinking his tea we stole his car:

2099900243_2019-08-1314_25_57.thumb.jpg.c4361e6bce78c3ca5077246ce9465a68.jpg

Sorry for pinching your wheels, Mr Xtriple. And sorry to anyone else who wanted to nab this, it really is bloody ace - the engine is astonishingly smooth.  I did say I was going to start swapping out cars more often, but I really can't think what could tempt me away from the staggering level of waft this thing provides.

lifan.thumb.jpg.1e53e3c607b53e145044bfd6ba266af6.jpg

Up to 139 miles in total now, the first 52 (iirc) were done by Jerzy Woking. Have to admit I've been making excuses to nip into town on this for things, just because it's so ideal and there's free parking. In a highly scientific* survey, yesterday I decided to see exactly how far it would go before the battery ran out, staying very local for the last few miles 'just in case'.

From charging it up a week or so ago and doing one ride then, in total it managed 23 miles. The majority of that was in mode 3 (top gear, if you like) and reasonably open roads as I never quite manage to go just to town and take a longer route home. Anyhow, when down to the last 10% it goes into a sort of limp mode thing where it seems to hover around the 18mph mark. Once actually first showing zero percent battery life, it will actually manage about 350-500 yards, give or take, and from 10% down to zero I would estimate it did about 4-5 miles. It was good to find out, just in case I ever get stuck somewhere with little battery life left. In mode 1 it does 12-15mph, mode 2 can take it to late 20s, and mode 3 got a pretty impressive 37mph once. Could probably keep it in mode 2 to get to town and back to be fair, which should conserve battery life. Also, as braking is supposed to regenerate slightly, I noticed that if stopped at lights and holding one of the brake levers in, the little green drive light goes out, maybe actually holding the brakes in when stopped helps a little?

Minor irritations are the seat unlocking mechanism doesn't always work (which is a mild PITA if you want to activate the hidden kill switch when parking somewhere, or to get the battery out to charge) and I suspect the mirrors might be the first things to give way at some point, so will try and find better after market ones to replace them. It's a bit sort of twitchy on the throttle when trying to maintain a constant very low speed in moving traffic, and I got a slight arse end shift the other day, on a v.slow hard corner, but there may have been diesel on the road, or something. 

Anyhow, they're minor quirks and so far I'm really impressed with the bike and actually really enjoy riding it.

12 hours ago, Fat_Pirate said:

Mrs Pirate and myself did go to Torquay today, to meet a very nice man with very nice dogs, and after drinking his tea we stole his car:

Sorry for pinching your wheels, Mr Xtriple. And sorry to anyone else who wanted to nab this, it really is bloody ace - the engine is astonishingly smooth.  I did say I was going to start swapping out cars more often, but I really can't think what could tempt me away from the staggering level of waft this thing provides.

You uttergit, fancy postng a picture where it is clean. I washed and hoovered it just for you, I hope the pong of old man and smelly dogs is not to offensive? I hope she gves you as good service as she has me.

I muct be mad.... oh yeah, I am.  :( 

I have just 'bitten the bullet' and called the insurance company about the change of vehicle. I dreaded it! I HATE talking to insurance companies as they always try and remove a shedload of money from your wallet. Very nice lady who charged me a whole £25 for the change of vehcle, n total! Just an admin fee nothing more even though the new car has a bigger engine, is newer and worth more money.

Colour me impressed.

AA insurance. They seem to be good at the moment.

Hoovie has 750k subscribers - and he often claims his channel has built this fleet (of which this is just part)....seems a crazy world we live in sometimes...maybe the guy is up to his eyes in debt on the basis of future earnings...

Though he has had that Merc convertible since he was 17.

hoovie.thumb.JPG.8e039417f56cef357e1905314fd73347.JPG

On 8/12/2019 at 6:35 PM, High Jetter said:

I've got round that in the past by putting the nuts back on but not tightening them, and moving said vehicle around on the drive for a short distance.

What he said, hit some choice potholes and/or a bit of vigorous cornering should see it loosened off.

2 hours ago, egg said:

Hoovie has 750k subscribers - and he often claims his channel has built this fleet (of which this is just part)....seems a crazy world we live in sometimes...maybe the guy is up to his eyes in debt on the basis of future earnings...

Though he has had that Merc convertible since he was 17.

hoovie.thumb.JPG.8e039417f56cef357e1905314fd73347.JPG

He has loans on his more expensive stuff (he's admitted that a couple of times), however he makes a living from working high up at a restaurant chain *. This is how I imagine he can get hold of large loans. 

I suspect the YouTube channel covers the cost from depreciation, running costs and other expenses from the vehicles. He also writes on autotrader.com, done a TV show and has had sponsorship. All of which will have helped pay for the channel. 

I suspect he doesn't do it for profit but allows him to indulge in what many do on Autoshite but in a more expensive way and have costa covered. 

YouTube advertising on its own doesn't make you much** money anymore unless you have an absolutely enormous subscription base (tens/hundreds millions). Also varies in the categories you are in and what type of videos you do. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/hooviesgarage/status/867885798020063232?lang=en

** This post was not sponsored by Lancaster Insurance. 

@SiC - thanks, that explains his story a bit more. Yes - the sponsorships (expensive watches, speakers and the like) suggest he has a demographic watching that has disposable income that companies want a chunk of.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:33 PM, Fat_Pirate said:

That looks great I don't think I've ever seen one as shiny.

I think hoovie owns a percentage of a frozen custard fast food place but went on sabbatical from working there in 2018 do the youtube channel.

I seem to remember him taking out some huge long term loan to get the Phantom with the hope the youtube revenue would pay it off. How he got the huge house  I've no idea but once you get have a youtube channel with a lot of videos you can okay. He also has that reality TV program they're always plugging.  It still doesn't add up to that car collection and the big house, and no job.