The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Currently bouncing off the walls at the prospect of my next purchase, as it's something I never thought I'd be able to afford. 

Need to ask Old Man if he doesn't mind temporarily having three cars about again, but I think the price of this one might tilt it in my favour as it's a genuine* investment*. 

I'll know in a few hours. It's a properly shite car in survivor condition.

One clue is that it's in full Junkman spec.

4 hours ago, RobT said:

Some S60 tinkering today.  First off I changed the spark plugs, which is surprisingly easy.  This cover comes of

20190803_144030.thumb.jpg.2887f68c9d3290a0f352013374869ca4.jpg

Interesting to see that Volvo went back to routing the intercooler pipe over the top of the engine on these later cars. 

After about the first year of turbo whiteblock production, Volvo rerouted the intercooler pipes round the right hand side of the block - using the radiant heat from the engine to stop the pipes from freezing up in Scandinavian winters. It's a less efficient routing. My T5 is an early car so resembles this more efficient setup, but most turbocharged 850s, and phase 1 S/V70s lack it.

They must have found a way to keep it cool. 

The blank opposite the oil filler cap is an alternate position for it, I think the straight-six whiteblock utilises it. The engine is known as the 'whiteblock' or Volvo Modular engine and can have between four and six cylinders, and two or four valves per cylinder.

4 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Currently bouncing off the walls at the prospect of my next purchase, as it's something I never thought I'd be able to afford. 

Need to ask Old Man if he doesn't mind temporarily having three cars about again, but I think the price of this one might tilt it in my favour as it's a genuine* investment*. 

I'll know in a few hours. It's a properly shite car in survivor condition.

One clue is that it's in full Junkman spec.

so its a fully Automatic from before 1986 (with an austrian engine) and DO NOT PAINT

sooo you nicked one of our Model 70's? :mrgreen:

I have an idea what this is based on what you said previously but I cant recall for the life of me the actual name of the car you gave LOL

Congrats on getting something that it sounds like you really wanted and was not sure you would actually be able to get

I know the feeling well :)

so its a fully Automatic from before 1986 (with an austrian engine) and DO NOT PAINT
sooo you nicked one of our Model 70's? :mrgreen:
I have an idea what this is based on what you said previously but I cant recall for the life of me the actual name of the car you gave LOL
Congrats on getting something that it sounds like you really wanted and was not sure you would actually be able to get
I know the feeling well
You're right spec wise, it's auto, doesn't have leather and has sufficient cylinders.

Do not paint (or banger race) is also true.

It is not a Jaguar, while I like XJ40s this isn't so ostentatious.
However it's worth more and being undersold.

I didn't expect the transfer process to be so quick so this has turned into an early 40th birthday present from my wife. W237SBF is now K50LNS (closest 3 letters I could get to fit my surname and my initials are IBL so cant have/afford that).

Fancyplates did a decent job I think.

The car got an advisory a few years ago for 'boot won't open', I see now how they solved that!

20190810_090125.jpg

20190810_091450.jpg

20190810_100758.jpg

20190810_091512.jpg

Yes it is! Just passed its MOT a fortnight ago, its up to 165k now. Its still absolutely storming along but the DMF is starting to get a little bit 'tinkly' when pulling away so I decided that, after 9 months of enforced austerity to clear all my credit cards, I would SPLASH OUT on a new motor rather than spemn a weekend on my back on the driveway sorting it.

The x1/9 now has a shiny stainless exhaust. Not too difficult (for my friend) to fit. Sounds good too- not loud or tinny. Not got it out on the road yet though as the weather is awful. It sits a lot higher up under the floor than the old one, fills most of the width too with the pipes entering from underneath but still above the lowest point of the chassis /gearbox mount.

51F1DB9A-4DF3-449B-B9FF-C76B94E1ED3D.jpeg

A445A2B8-BF7E-449A-8EB0-6F9ABAA69675.jpeg

C1BB564F-4A73-43FC-93A5-52328BA97DBF.jpeg

On 8/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, puddlethumper said:

FTP this morning. Clutchy stuff not good and had to be dollied

to the mechanic. Think the forky bit has broken. Graunchy noise 

with clutch down and slipping when up. Gearbox out and have a look. BOLLOX !!!!!!

Further to this I got it back today. Half the clutch had  fallen to bits. Only put a new one in

18 months ago. Wallet now lighter to the tune of £270 and got to get VED end of the month.

Another £265. BOLLOX !!

18 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Where be the micra and do you know the reg number please 

Micra is in Cinderford on the industrial estate. I believe it belonged to this company here: https://tkmotorscinderford.wixsite.com/home

Call them and they'll give you all the info. They did not seem to be people who would like to have photos taken of their stuff. WHen you call, ask for Darren, as he's the guy who bought the car.

Managed to plug two leads into the back of the LHM float sensor. The build-up of greasy grime in this area over the years is unreal.IMG_20190810_162628.thumb.jpg.82718a98a615195760147404417ddb7e.jpg

Meanwhile, some warning lights have gone AWOL when I turn the key without starting the engine. Puzzled as they all work when I press the test button....

IMG_20190810_162649.thumb.jpg.02e346b3d477185f1f979a6905e86d6d.jpg

10 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Well, check one at a time :-)

my cxs we’re generally electrically very good bar the odd relay connection. But the last was in 2006. Which warning bulbs have you lost? Could it be a fuse?

All fuses intact. Handbrake, battery, coolant tank and overheat warning are missing.

Handbrake is the switch under the centre console, probably sticky contact if you don’t use it much being an auto. Coolant is contact under the bottle direct to the sensor ( gets wet), battery could be the small exciter spade  connection to the back. overheat I don’t know.

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Handbrake is the switch under the centre console, probably sticky contact if you don’t use it much being an auto. Coolant is contact under the bottle direct to the sensor ( gets wet), battery could be the small exciter spade  connection to the back. overheat I don’t know.

I don't use the handbrake at all, only parking brake and footbrake. Probably needs readjusting anyway as a result.

Small exciter spade connection....hmmm...now that you mention it, I have seen a green wire with a spade connector hanging loose in that general area, and I've long wondered what it was for and where it was supposed to be plugged into.....

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

If the battery light isn't working, there is a good possibility it's not charging. Most cars use the bulb as an indicator and a resistor to provide a voltage to get the field coils going on the alternator. 

The alternator is a new exchange unit and it definitely works, otherwise the battery (also new) would be flat after a few trips.