The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

So the roffle winning Merc passed its retest today, parts were just over £50, so no complaints.

Mrs BMH (who's car it is technically), allowed me to celebrate by driving her to one of her favourite pubs, (Edmunds Arms - a Sam Smith's pub, £2 a pint, no mobiles, no card payments etc), so she could consume several pints whilst I drank coke/pepsi etc.

Sure I'm making a mistake somewhere...

On 8/7/2019 at 9:42 PM, barmatt said:

Not been up to much Autoshitey since I acquired the Focus off Scaryold cortina / JBell unwanted roffle win . It has proved to be utterly reliable, dependable and did everything that was asked of it apart from entertain me in the slightest. So as the emoty was running out I did a little exhaust bodgery and had a good check around it, bunged it in for a test and it went straight through.  

IMG_20190730_202845.thumb.jpg.efee94b51c4a4e51f3ec05a6e1729983.jpg

Only one thing for it then......flog it and buy something utterly broken to replace it as is the AS way. Meaning this happened...

IMG_20190724_133849.thumb.jpg.9a3dfe39ae3e3e847bbc120562e53ff0.jpg

06 Accord icdti thingy that's allegedly* been chipped by someone.

IMG_20190724_133918.thumb.jpg.3a2693e8d0883866e5704cbeccb65ad0.jpg

It has a coupe of issues, the handbrake not working at all the other big one is the crankshaft pulley outer ring managing to seperate itself from the inner. It was an interesting few miles home with no p/s or alteranator and constantly watching the temp gauge waiting for it to overheat due to not having a spinning water pump either but that's part of the adventure hey?

Some fettling has occured, it now has a working handbrake, the new c/s pulley arrived late today meaning I didn't have time to fit it so instead of waste time I decided to clean the living bejesus out of it starting with polishing the headlights which were pretty fubared. I let you guess which is before and after.

IMG_20190807_193544.thumb.jpg.dc0db6b8886a1a773cf27b86715a9a64.jpg

Quite satisfying. Although the car looks really angry without its eyes

IMG_20190807_193903.thumb.jpg.bc154683c97de2db464273532dcd1e52.jpg

Should hopefully have it all done and Mot'ed by the end of next week, never had a modernish Honda before and this seems quite civilised. 

Tldr? I'm waffling. 

Even  cleaned as well as that, the lights on these are fucking useless.

I had my mates estate for a few weeks, lovely car but kept checking lights were on!!! 

14 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Yes, I noticed the gearing is a bit  old fashioned, almost Rover 600 levels of under gearing . I was also surprised that it didn't feel quicker, it is a 2.0 in a small car after all, I was expecting GTi type performance, must be the weight of the hood. Previous owner reckoned they changed the Cat on this one a couple of MOTs ago, don't know if they did or not , no lights but was readin 0.50 on co before Cataclean snake oil shit.

I notice you've still got the Ibizia we had off you 2 years ago and scrapped almost a year ago in your signature!

You scrapped slug!!!!!  

20 minutes ago, Crusty Sills said:

Even  cleaned as well as that, the lights on these are fucking useless.

I had my mates estate for a few weeks, lovely car but kept checking lights were on!!! 

If they're that bad the previous owner must have been driving around with them on full beam constantly. I'd be amazed if any light got through the filth on those lenses.

Guess I'll be looking for big ass bulbs for the winter then.

On 7 August 2019 at 10:09 PM, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Just bought a new heap of MEGA SHITE off Facebook marketplace tonight. 55 plate Fiat Croma JTD 150!!! Its got no MOT but seems clean and tidy and honest. Few clonks off the front suspension but it's all Vectra stuff so I'm sure it can be sorted cheaply. I paid £400 which seems a lot for an untested one of these but I just properly wanted one! 

IMG_20190807_190659619.jpg

About 12 years ago a customer went to Tuscany to stay at a friends house ( probably a castle) and came back raving about the amazing hire car he had- one of these feckers. Best car ever, roomy, comfortable etc etc.

Now this is a man who had an Arnage in the garage, an SL for the Mrs and got a new Merc E class estate every 2 years. He was going to trade his Merc in for a Croma as soon as possible. I saw him a few weeks later and he had actually been to the Fiat dealer in Aylesbury, and ...

Ordered another e320 estate from the Merc dealer next door, " Wouldn't buy a cappuccino off those fucking idiots" was the gist , as I remember. Probably a bit like those 20 bottles of Rose my Mrs brought back from St Tropez 8 years ago and we still take to BBQs to this day, what seems like a good idea in the sunshine when you're in a holiday mood is a bit different back home.

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

About 12 years ago a customer went to Tuscany to stay at a friends house ( probably a castle) and came back raving about the amazing hire car he had- one of these feckers. Best car ever, roomy, comfortable etc etc.

Now this is a man who had an Arnage in the garage, an SL for the Mrs and got a new Merc E class estate every 2 years. He was going to trade his Merc in for a Croma as soon as possible. I saw him a few weeks later and he had actually been to the Fiat dealer in Aylesbury, and ...

Ordered another e320 estate from the Merc dealer next door, " Wouldn't buy a cappuccino off those fucking idiots" was the gist , as I remember. Probably a bit like those 20 bottles of Rose my Mrs brought back from St Tropez 8 years ago and we still take to BBQs to this day, what seems like a good idea in the sunshine when you're in a holiday mood is a bit different back home.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Having bought a house with a pit I thought I’d use it today! 

DEE270F1-8A4D-444D-8FB4-E9CFC0F2B9F0.jpeg

Exhaust rattle bodged until proper repair can be effected. 

I'd say can I borrow your pit mister, but you're bloody miles away!

Don't know if this should have a question thread or not so I'll put it here:

Got a lead for some armrests for my Micra so I went to the car which was reportedly being broken for spares. Turns out it's an M reg Micra L with 84000 miles on it which is exactly the same as what my parents had! The people who were going to break it are autocross people who strip out and prepare cars for grasstrack racing etc. They told me that the car interior was going to someone, but they didn't arrive and so they're weighing in the entire car. Bit sad really for a well kept hatchback. They offered it to us for £300. We nearly bought it but we're on holiday.

It would be a bit sad to see a car with an MoT which still runs fine to go to waste, so, if anyone's interested I'll pass on the details. Or, perhaps, I can buy and then roffle it off? I'll have to do some thinking.

2 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

E14 bolts can get in the sea. In fact I think they've already been there. I'm not sure what to do next, I'm supposed to be driving to France in this early next week.

d0c65bcbf2bede5429906227bed9ef22.jpg

https://www.toolstation.com/irwin-bolt-grip-nut-remover-set/p63045?store=D6&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjws7TqBRDgARIsAAHLHP7Afwhvtbbl_SGRcbndCXcYeVuR8NawHYb1pAn7gxN3vuQNMneqIP4aAhGzEALw_wcB

They might help?

Some S60 tinkering today.  First off I changed the spark plugs, which is surprisingly easy.  This cover comes of

20190803_144030.thumb.jpg.2887f68c9d3290a0f352013374869ca4.jpg

Then the leads/coil things pop off after removing the single bolts that secure them.

20190803_151421.thumb.jpg.164993083706d1e052cfd8ccaec130fd.jpg

They needed doing, and it now runs smoother without the occasional hesitancy.  I also remembered to buy five...normally when I change plugs it makes no difference AT ALL, so that's nice.  I've reset the trip computer and will see if my mpg improves.  I'm currently getting 34 on a run (which isn't too bad anyway for a big old lump).

Handily you can also check the cam belt with that cover off.

20190803_151407.thumb.jpg.275299da083ea2dfb2228784efaa93dd.jpg

20190803_151413.thumb.jpg.883f3df8460dde0afe5cebda2f6c48f4.jpg

Mmm...looks alright though, so I'll risk it.  Mileage is currently 160k.  Sods law I do the belt and the auto 'box shats itself.

I also tried a lazy oil change with the pela pump.  But then the heavens opened.

20190809_205811.thumb.jpg.d09509d0f20e1db2b6d00b17c3c5d5e6.jpg

It only extracted 2.5 litres anyway so I'll do a proper job another time.

I'm working my way through some jobs in preparation for a road trip to Sweden next month, which I'm getting very excited about!  This arrived in the post today too.

20190809_131124.thumb.jpg.4236b87889e031596f31442d25ce9f8b.jpg

I paid £39 for this tag so it lets you go over the Oresund bridge for half price.  Total saving is 30 odd quid as the crossing ain't cheap, 124 euros return.  It can also be used in Denmark to go over the Great Belt bridge without faffing at the toll booth.  I'm not too bothered about the cost though, as I've wanted to do this trip via the bridges for a while.  The idea originally was to take the Impreza, but of course I sold that.

I imagine it has its own special feel during the night, so it's probably a good time to cross it.  I've also found somewhere to park up on the coast where the bridge can be seen in it's glory.  I want to get the full experience!

58 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Ovlov should be (a bit) better on fuel than the Scoob anyway.  And almost certainly more comfortable.

Yep, about £60 cheaper on pez I reckon.  Comfort wise the Impreza seats suited me better actually, the S60 ones dig into my right thigh a bit.  A few weekends ago I did 350 miles in a day and my leg was in spasm, so seat tweakage required there methinks.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:09 PM, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Just bought a new heap of MEGA SHITE off Facebook marketplace tonight. 55 plate Fiat Croma JTD 150!!! Its got no MOT but seems clean and tidy and honest. Few clonks off the front suspension but it's all Vectra stuff so I'm sure it can be sorted cheaply. I paid £400 which seems a lot for an untested one of these but I just properly wanted one! 

IMG_20190807_190659619.jpg

I'm picking up this POS tomorrow, got a day insure lined up and an MOT booked at 11am. Exciting!

5 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Don't know if this should have a question thread or not so I'll put it here:

Got a lead for some armrests for my Micra so I went to the car which was reportedly being broken for spares. Turns out it's an M reg Micra L with 84000 miles on it which is exactly the same as what my parents had! The people who were going to break it are autocross people who strip out and prepare cars for grasstrack racing etc. They told me that the car interior was going to someone, but they didn't arrive and so they're weighing in the entire car. Bit sad really for a well kept hatchback. They offered it to us for £300. We nearly bought it but we're on holiday.

It would be a bit sad to see a car with an MoT which still runs fine to go to waste, so, if anyone's interested I'll pass on the details. Or, perhaps, I can buy and then roffle it off? I'll have to do some thinking.

Where be the micra and do you know the reg number please