The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, louiepj said:

Verdict is in on the Rovers and she probably isn't worth saving.
b616684d237e954dbc4d97e27f6423c5.jpg

Damn - if it hadn't been for the weldage needed that would have been a simple-ish set of fixes. Drop links are a piece of piss on these, I'm a past master at them as my tester has a thing for failing my fleet on them.

High emissions probably related to the flexi leak, which would probably also need a new flexi welding or clipping in (or a whole new front section, which for the 25 includes the cat so expensive).

3 hours ago, louiepj said:

As the Rover 25 has failed he has asked me to keep an eye out for a replacement car for him with a vague £2k budget and similar to what he has just run for the last few years.... So recalling his car history of last 3 cars: Rover 25tds, Astra 1.7 diesel (ex hire car with 270k), Pug 306 1.8 16v.

And I fancy looking at this for him:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163704163176

A mate had one of those on a 10 plate brand new! Was always fairly miserable, but actually not horrific... Hadn''t realised they were getting nice and worthless! @gnomeot how much did Fleety's cost him a month?

I've decided I need a new daily.  I love the 75, but it is using rather more diesel than I would like on my commute and ideally I want something more economical.  The plan originally was to use the Rover of Doom for running to work in and keep the 75 for longer journeys (where it does rather better on fuel), but that's now not going to happen given the amount of work the RoD would need.

What I really want is a Rover 45 diesel automatic - then I could nab the injectors out of the RoD before I scrap it, wind the boost up and have an amusingly quick giffermobile.  Unfortunately automatic diesel 45s are like rocking horse poo.  Ideally I need an auto though as I occasionally have aches and pains which make it awkward for me to drive a manual in traffic.  Less of an issue if I keep the 75 as I can always use that as a backup, but then that's an extra lot of VED to pay.  I did miss out on a cheap facelift diesel 25 (manual) on eBay earlier - had it come up in a couple of weeks' time I would have gone for it, but I'm flat out for the next two weeks and wouldn't have been able to pick it up.  Obvs once I do actually get my act together and start looking in earnest, there'll be bugger all around.

4 hours ago, louiepj said:

As the Rover 25 has failed he has asked me to keep an eye out for a replacement car for him with a vague £2k budget and similar to what he has just run for the last few years.... So recalling his car history of last 3 cars: Rover 25tds, Astra 1.7 diesel (ex hire car with 270k), Pug 306 1.8 16v.

And I fancy looking at this for him:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163704163176

These Rio's aren't bad. Kia finally started to make cars that were at least somewhat competitive with European rivals. 

Much better than the piss poor effort that previously wore the badge. Tinny bodywork, flimsy trim, shite electrics and carpet that was thinner than that tracing paper toilet sheets that your nan had in her outdoor bog in the 70's and 80's. You know the kind, never absorbed anything just smeared it around a bit and ripped your arsehole to bits!

Sorry, nostalgia made me go off topic!

Real-Vintage-2-Izal-Medicated-Toilet-Tissue-Rolls.jpg

badgersarse.gif

I've decided I need a new daily.  I love the 75, but it is using rather more diesel than I would like on my commute and ideally I want something more economical.  The plan originally was to use the Rover of Doom for running to work in and keep the 75 for longer journeys (where it does rather better on fuel), but that's now not going to happen given the amount of work the RoD would need.

What I really want is a Rover 45 diesel automatic - then I could nab the injectors out of the RoD before I scrap it, wind the boost up and have an amusingly quick giffermobile.  Unfortunately automatic diesel 45s are like rocking horse poo.  Ideally I need an auto though as I occasionally have aches and pains which make it awkward for me to drive a manual in traffic.  Less of an issue if I keep the 75 as I can always use that as a backup, but then that's an extra lot of VED to pay.  I did miss out on a cheap facelift diesel 25 (manual) on eBay earlier - had it come up in a couple of weeks' time I would have gone for it, but I'm flat out for the next two weeks and wouldn't have been able to pick it up.  Obvs once I do actually get my act together and start looking in earnest, there'll be bugger all around.

Hang on - 45 diesel automatics don't exist at all do they?

Something like a PD Golf or Bora auto would fit the bill if you can bear it, or a Xsara HDI auto if you can find one.

3 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Something like a PD Golf or Bora auto would fit the bill if you can bear it, or a Xsara HDI auto if you can find one.

I was after an L series auto a few years back and the only thing I think they were available in was a freelander, so I bought a Mercedes.

Embarking on some science with rust prevension for car underbodies because it's a massive hot potato on the Internet and I want to find an answer for myself. This is mainly because Brother Fumbler's Land Cruiser (Thread pending) has a lot of places on the chassis to bolt test pieces onto. It is also because his undercarriage is doing what it does best- corroding at an alarming rate. Looked around my metal pile and found 4 CD-ROM slot blanks out of an old computer case. I bolted them to a rail and I ground the paint off. I'm now simulating >100000 miles of winter and salt conditions in preparation for installing on the car when it is collected. 1 of the test pieces is already coated with paint. 1 will have a well renowned brand of underbody protection for pre-corroded metal on it. 1 will have chainsaw bar and chain lubricant - a favourite in the rust belt of the US with valid and good results. The last piece will be a control. It'll have nothing protecting it to show what effects no protection has. The winner will then be evaluated for cost and then will coat the Land Cruiser's frame and underbody to make sure it doesn't dissolve as quickly as it is now. I'll most likely do the Land Cruiser in chain oil because of how inexpensive it is and the results it has, however I do want to see how wrong I could potentially be. In the meantime my Micra will continue to use paid products and we'll see which one rusts out first.

10 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

I saw an automatic 45 diesel on eBay a few months back - that's the only one I've knowingly seen for sale.  Wasn't in a position to buy at the time unfortunately.

Xsara isn't a bad shout actually - I'd been thinking about Xantias but I think they only did the autos as a NA diesel, which would be too slow for my requirements.  A 2.0 HDI 90 is about as unbreakable as "modern" diesels get.

I saw an automatic 45 diesel on eBay a few months back - that's the only one I've knowingly seen for sale.  Wasn't in a position to buy at the time unfortunately.
Xsara isn't a bad shout actually - I'd been thinking about Xantias but I think they only did the autos as a NA diesel, which would be too slow for my requirements.  A 2.0 HDI 90 is about as unbreakable as "modern" diesels get.

That's a mistake in the listing or a conversion, I don't think the L series was ever coupled with an automatic gearbox from the factory.

You can get the Xantia self shifter with a 1.9TD or HDi.

42 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

I don't think the L series was ever coupled with an automatic gearbox from the factory.

Neither did I, but then all sorts of weird and wonderful things came out of Longbridge in the last few months of Rover...

You're right, it's the ZX auto I was thinking of.  I'll add the Xantia to the list of possibles.

After the straight passes from the Montego and Council Estate recently, today was the turn of the Stellar... and it was a fail. Both OSF and OSR brake pipes, plus the OSF wheel bearing. Wheel bearing ordered from my local factors (due in Monday AM), brake pipe stuff in stock at the former SVM HQ where my mechanic still resides.

Retest is likely to be next Saturday as I am once again employed, training starts Monday 8am... wish us luck!

Got my dad to transport the stainless exhaust for the x1/9 down from their garage so they could drop it off with me on their way back from Heathrow/ Budapest. Hand built for a hill climb car ( bought his original  seats too a few years ago) he used it a couple of times he said, but decision he wanted a more sporty system.  I hope it’s not too loud at motorway revs ( 70 is 4000ish).

3DB808C7-2931-4626-B213-3D8502223CA0.jpeg

i wanted to post this the other day, but our interweb was running really, really slow cos school holidays (i think) and it wouldn't let me.....

after running too and from work earlier this week in Marvin, yesterday we went and put him away.

considering the number of folks who have expressed positive comments about the car, i think it has cheered other people up too, as it has me when stuck at work. there are even a couiple of guys in the tool room who eve like BL cars, like me..... and then there are another couple who remember the Metro fondly, have learned to drive in one. well just about everyone around my age (i'm 44 sadly) did lean to drive in a metro, i know i did.

i have been able to park out the back, near where i have been so that i can keep an eye on him!

1689510665_2019-07-1710_11_08.thumb.jpg.daa8cc2a636455e8663c92ef42fb6d3b.jpg

but this weekend, we have to sort an MOT out on the Rover, and there is going to be some Mini 1000 tinkering, so, the best place for Marvin is back in the garage, and it means we will only be parking TWO cars on the road at home instead of 3.......

so, sadly back to the garage we go.

368660601_2019-07-1818_22_03.thumb.jpg.b3a295a85a03734979fa591085af33dd.jpg

and disturb the other tenents.

1202375466_2019-07-1818_26_22.thumb.jpg.191753e168e5f2de4a917af797034cea.jpg

"...... and so to bed"

1088677115_2019-07-1818_27_45.thumb.jpg.4b9391e87528787baaf7eb69b4b99542.jpg

1994808194_2019-07-1818_28_05.thumb.jpg.eb86396c8510a1ffeea19f3f6d7033bc.jpg

nighty night Marvin.......

2030384801_2019-07-1819_05_15.thumb.jpg.c2c7df8efc48c406261e5ac90efe221c.jpg

1126737628_2019-07-1819_05_19.thumb.jpg.3a6a865150714d94a228fb131c5ab69f.jpg

237972601_2019-07-1819_05_30.thumb.jpg.75d9ef980c427eb0ad45c74443ca8e23.jpg

oh and we did take the Roer for its test. 

it failed, a front ball joint, which are integral with the bottom arm on these, and a hole in the back of the drivers side sill.  caused by the thing shipping water through the jack point been distorted and the pad thing been missing. the hole is maybe 2 x 3 inches across and is on the underside of the sill.

so, do i replace said bottom arm, and get it welded up?

but realistically the rovers time is coming to an end. and i'm skint/too mean/not seen ANYTHING that i fancy owning instead.

its going back on wednesday to get put right. 

i should have scrapped it last year when the clutch went.  but been an idiot i didn't. and now i'm in too deep just to walk away!

we did manage to get the new reversing switch fitted to the Mini 1000, and also replace the feed pipe for the oil pressure gauge on the same car. now i am hoping that the new pipe will put an end to the oil spraying all over the side of the engine. the old pipe was a mix of rubber pipe onto some copper bits so we think oil was coming from the joints. the new pipe is nylon and in one piece but we have routed around the side of the engine bay along the wiring loom, so i am hoping that the new pipe will be far enough away from the heat of the engine. but only time will tell

During a busy few days of getting my car ready for FOTU, I went to see this last week:

48340288332_01dd5093fe_b.jpg

1985 Nissan Sunny 1.5 SGL Maxima Coupe by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

48340144716_f87a8a73d9_b.jpg

48340287632_ed3960ec30_b.jpg

48340144046_f40001e5cc_b.jpg

Owner had my number after we talked about a Micra they had a few years ago (can be seen in the background of the second shot). He's now looking to move them on, as well as a Mk2 Golf (apparently a 1 .8 auto).

I don't need a project and I'm pretty happy with what I already have, but I'd still like to help them find a good home. Haven't got a clue what he's after at present. Sunny has been off-road for around 14 years, has done just under 70k. Will need some bodywork.

I had zero energy this morning, so no ride or walk. I did though take the x1/9 to the farmer’s market in ascot. Bought some lovely gurnard fillets, eggs, and cider from crazy dave. I say bought, but I’d run out of cash, and his reader had a fit of “computer says no”. So my four bottles are on account!  He’s at Maidenhead camra beer festival next week where my colleague is chairman so I can pass on the cash.

then I heard my x1/9 starting in the car park on leaving the market on a Facebook video- I can’t link it yet but will investigate.

if you are in the area check out Dave...

https://crazydavescider.co.uk/

27 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

During a busy few days of getting my car ready for FOTU, I went to see this last week:

Owner had my number after we talked about a Micra they had a few years ago (can be seen in the background of the second shot). He's now looking to move them on, as well as a Mk2 Golf (apparently a 1 .8 auto).

I don't need a project and I'm pretty happy with what I already have, but I'd still like to help them find a good home. Haven't got a clue what he's after at present. Sunny has been off-road for around 14 years, has done just under 70k. Will need some bodywork.

I imagine your driveway is looking rather empty after the departure of the 929 - that Sunny would fill the space nicely. :)

I remember having a drive of a saloon version of this many years ago.  Struck me as a very competent car, if not overly exciting, and it went well despite being hopelessly overgeared (would do 70 in second).  The coupe version always struck me as a bit of an afterthought on these.

Parked up next to a new-ish small* Peugeot today and at first thought someone had slapped some super cheap colour-coded wheel trims on it.  Nope, it had what looked like proper factory alloys and what's normally a polished face to the spokes was body coloured.  Maybe it's a sporty option?  Maybe someone did a fairly good DIY job of making it look like a bad factory choice?  Maybe it's some sort of bizarre aftermarket protective coating?  At any rate, it made a fairly new car look quite shabby and old, especially since the paint on the front wheels was chipping off all over.