The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just took the 635 out to buy some mushrooms. It hasn't been out for a month or so. It really doesn't like low tyre pressures. AHOY there me mateys...

Mushrooms bought, strange clicking from rear brakes was worse than ever. Have to pull the handbrake up a notch to shut it up a bit. Think I may have to do some work on it. I'm guessing the shoes retaining clips have failed and they are catching the drum. Luckily I have a set of new ones ready for install.

I'm getting 4 tyres for it too. I'm looking at the hankooks that are on the Merc because they are grippy, this car needs that, I'm also I'm 11k miles deep on the Merc and the fronts aren't even halfway worn. Either that or go with Dunlop blues because I had those on the touring twice and they were a good tyre. I've always put SP01 sports on it but they crack up before they wear.

Looks well posh on its new private plate. The UK number plate is so intrusive on car design, it's amazing the difference another plate can make. Save yourself a few quid, if you are bored with your car... Don't sell it... Instead, get it on another plate!

IMG_20190713_120112.thumb.jpg.fca978bdb00d01853ff734727af8139d.jpgIMG_20190713_115815.thumb.jpg.134836b894cce6cb12366dfe2f2d8ab7.jpg

Finally, Brother Fumbler left a deposit on something reliable to work on, albeit a lot more rusty. Fortunately, it's surface rust on the chassis, two blowing seams on the body, solid sills and a bodged towbar. That'll be the first thing we'll be removing. Oh, it's also top top top top top top top top spec and uses LHM and spheres instead of air and bellows!

Because of this, the Range Rover is up for sale!

45 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

2.5bar front, 2.8bar rear.

Well remembered. Although I set mine at 2.8 all round to assist with the already very sloppy steering. It is fitted with a low tyre pressure warning device anyway... If it falls below 2.8bar then I scrape the 2nd speed hump along my road. MM precision designed into this car you know.

what a friggin' day......

got Cocopop out of the lock-up, cos its nice out and the car hasn't been used in some weeks. check oil - yes, we have oil, look at the water - no water, the expansion tank is bone dry.

ah - ok - we have some water in the other lock-up. put maybe a litre and a half in, and start the car. only to be greeted by a rapidly growing puddle of water on the floor. 

seems to be coming from around the water pump. so, with Cocopop been an MPi mini, we take the shroud thing off from the alternator for a better look, only to be squirted in the face by a rhythmic spurt of water coming from somewhere round the water pump. so in protest at been in the garage, the car has become an enormous water pistol. there is also a whirring sound coming from the car that wasn't there last time the car was used. 

so, i guess i need a new water pump for that then. at least they are only £20, though getting at it will be a bloody nightmare.  because mini, and even more because its an MPi mini.

then to make matters worse i decide to get the black mini out, because, well nice day and the orange one isn't really drivable. only to back the car out of the garage and into a daft little dwarf wall opposite. i've dented and scraped the back valance on said car.

fuckin'hell. shit. arse. fuck, fuck, fuckerty fuck...... just to prove that i am incapable in having anything nice.

so, tomorrow the black mini is going away again, then i'm going to (try) changing the front drop links on the Rover, and also try to replace/repair the back wiper on the Rover. which has died.

which means i'll probababily set it on fire.........

(local mechanics on sensing that i am holding a screwdriver)

and Marvin the metro, in spite of me taxing said vehicle at the start of the month, it is still in its garage, feeling very unloved. i just have not gotten around to going and getting that car. which makes me sad.

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Finally, Brother Fumbler left a deposit on something reliable to work on, albeit a lot more rusty. Fortunately, it's surface rust on the chassis, two blowing seams on the body, solid sills and a bodged towbar. That'll be the first thing we'll be removing. Oh, it's also top top top top top top top top spec and uses LHM and spheres instead of air and bellows!

I never even knew that was a thing on Land Cruisers,  Every day is a schoolday.

Seems to be reserved for top range models like Brother Fumbler's LC Amazon. It combines the LHM suspension of Citroen with the conventional sprung suspension of your normal 4WD car. The hydraulic susspension on a Land Cruiser adjusts the height and comfort (This I know to be true) whereas so the springs are there to absorb large shock it seems. Kind of a best of both worlds situation I think. I'll find out more once I'm underneath.

The 405 was subjected to a marathon cleaning yesterday, took ages but its looking tremendous. 

First it got a standard wash, I've no hose so I had to use my crappy 5L pressure sprayer. 

I had made a monumental veg oil mess, this stuff can be brutal to get off but some engine degreaser shifted it in a giffy. 

20190713_164956.thumb.jpg.02c8da253b86223e8dedc80f7351ccab.jpg

I then went over the full car with a clay bar. Then some Autoglym polish and finally some Bilt Hamber wax. Would recommend both polish and wax heartily. The wax is reasonably hard work to buff off although I have been applying it fairly liberally. It lasts absolutely ages though. 

20190713_202221(0).thumb.jpg.8f4a846fd90182f6c2d20bee4d0303af.jpg

20190713_203732.thumb.jpg.2539814dd4f69fb125beaaeabec1a1c0.jpg

20190713_202240.thumb.jpg.d563ce80619174168b757120a0f3b700.jpg

20 minutes ago, davehedgehog31 said:

The 405 was subjected to a marathon cleaning yesterday, took ages but its looking tremendous. 

First it got a standard wash, I've no hose so I had to use my crappy 5L pressure sprayer. 

I had made a monumental veg oil mess, this stuff can be brutal to get off but some engine degreaser shifted it in a giffy. 

I then went over the full car with a clay bar. Then some Autoglym polish and finally some Bilt Hamber wax. Would recommend both polish and wax heartily. The wax is reasonably hard work to buff off although I have been applying it fairly liberally. It lasts absolutely ages though. 

Holy shitballs. That is something else. Hoorah! 

A decision has been made... 

Using the camper to tow our new trailer fully loaded whilst also hauling it’s heavy ass along is probably going to kill the already very high clutch. 

So it’s time (after many months of procrastination) to revive project Saab as it’s the only one with a tow bar. 

Urgency means I might have to entrust it to a mechanic rather than do it myself sadly... 

1 hour ago, davehedgehog31 said:

When passing Horsham feel free to do the same to my Sigma ??

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

A decision has been made... 

Using the camper to tow our new trailer fully loaded whilst also hauling it’s heavy ass along is probably going to kill the already very high clutch. 

So it’s time (after many months of procrastination) to revive project Saab as it’s the only one with a tow bar. 

Urgency means I might have to entrust it to a mechanic rather than do it myself sadly... 

Would it not be quicker to swap the towbar from project Saab onto daily Saab?

Gave my smol but perfectly formed fleet a clean today:

photo_2019-07-14_18-49-14.jpg

It's nice to have the cars clean again, especially The Volvo, which was looking really grotty, as it had been idle for just over three weeks and was covered in dust, cobwebs and other detritus. It showed its indignation at such treatment by requiring a jump start on Friday evening. Thank goodness for my Clarke jump starter pack, which turned a potential ballache into a mere minor irritation :)

Today is a sad day for the Wuvvum fleet.  Greatly to my regret, I have reluctantly reached the conclusion that the Rover of Doom has come to the end of its life.  I've been poking around it today and discovered that beneath the underseal, the driver's side sill is completely rotten all the way along, and the passenger side isn't too far behind it.  It's way more than I could ever take on myself, my welding mate isn't in a position to take on a job that size at the moment either, and a garage would either laugh at me or quote me stupid money to do the work.  Coupled with the fact that it needs a new cat, exhaust rear section and PAS pump, along with other smaller bits like handbrake cables, and whatever else a test might throw up, this sadly means that it's beyond economical repair.  The MOT has expired and the tax is up at the end of the month, at which point it will probably be heading for Rover heaven. :(  Still, I shouldn't whinge too much - I bought it nearly 8 years ago for £350 so it's not done badly really.

In more positive news, the Carina E is now MOT'd, as mentioned elsewhere.  I finally managed to get a CV boot clip onto the CX's offside boot, via the simple solution of buying a better quality clip than the flimsy shit that comes with a split CV boot kit, so I can drive the car again without worrying about it slinging its grease all over the brake disc.  The 75 has had an oil and filter change, which went OK other than the sump plug having previously been done up by a gorilla, so it now has a sumpful of nice new 10w40 semi-synth.  The Y10 is still broken - I changed the fuel filter but it's made bugger all difference, so I've now concluded that it must be an electronic fault - but Lanciamatt of this parish has been giving me various pointers of things to try (he knows a lot more about this modern fuel injection nonsense than I do) so I'm still hopeful the old heap will live another day.

Oh, I also ordered some new glasses and bought and fitted a new bathroom light switch (£1.99 from Roys of Wroxham, bargain) so the two things I broke on Wednesday night are now sorted.  Whilst awaiting the arrival of my new glasses I've repaired* the existing ones using the arms off a £3 pair of Primark sunglasses, filed down to fit.  Not ideal, but at least they stay on my face.

This evening I r mostly reading HBOL on how to get at the CX's HVAC fan motor which FTP'd outside Kings Langley this morning in big cloud of smoke after 25A fuse blew.

Fuse replaced (so indicators now working again), but the fan motor is definitely an ex-fan motor.

I was nearly late in to work today.  I was having a dream that I was at an AS-type gathering (although Vince Cable was there for some reason) and there was a lovely early Wartburg (312 I think) which everyone was having a go in.  Unfortunately my alarm clock went off before I had my turn, so I switched the alarm off and went back to sleep so I could get a go.  It was great fun - alarming levels of body roll and significant understeer in tight corners, but the sweetest column shift I've ever experienced - but that 5-minute test drive took up 30 minutes in real time so when I woke up again I had a proper rush on to get to work in time.