The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I saved this to my computer to host it, if it hasn't worked then AS's server host computer internet connection database can go and suck donkey whang. Completely DLAC after this picture was taken.

mercml3.jpg

Compression tested it, 175/150/175/175. Divided 175 by something dad knew from memory (this would be 14.5 based on fraction triangles), and came back as 12:1.

Smokes a bit but runs fine, so the 150 is either a clagged up cylinder or a leaky valve seat. Don't think it's been run much so hoping it clears up, time will tell. Cba doing any more headgaskets, especially on DOHCs.

I noted the crank pulley had a white paint mark on it, but it was about 90 degrees off the factory timing mark, and on a different face... the car has had a cambelt in the past. I timed it with the 14 degree mark, 2 left of the factory TDC-10 mark. 

The timing mod smoothed things out but didn't make much difference (it did make some though), I felt more after cleaning the plugs -sooty. I think the gearbox filter needs cleaning which will make a bigger difference - currently it holds 1st too long, and shifts up with a jolt on lower throttle. Also, sometimes it slips out of overdrive. Kickdown is fine though, and it doesn't slip shifts like the Civic, or like the Bini felt like it was (but I think that's just a laggy box as I've driven more than one Bini).

Nice start to the day, 214 passed emissions re-test with flying colours, with scores of zero carbon monoxides at fast idle and idle , courtesy of a new cat wot I put on, a bottle of Cataclean, ragging the knackers off it and F1  Autocentre sticking their probe up its arse as soon as I got there

pass.thumb.png.abde2c599b83344ac228534a54055e77.png

Good luck with mx5 MOT!

Ghosty - i think the calculation is wrong as that is very high. Found this online (not sure how true it is with everything on the net) supposedly from Mazda Manual:

The 116 HP Miata 1.6 DOHC motor from 1990-1993 is a normally aspirated version of that 323 turbo engine. It mainly differs from the turbo counterpart in higher compression pistons (to 9.4:1), lighter connecting rods and a lighter flywheel. This means that the NA version of the motor is quite over engineered for its applications. (how many NA motors do you know have oil spray cooling for the pistons).

The automatic transmission version of the 1.6 DOHC engine has lower compression pistons to 9.0:1 and the camshafts have less duration. These changes were done for the automatic version to gain torque at a lower rpm and minimize detonation from the torque eating trans. The tradeoff is a less peak HP rating of 100. "

http://www.mx5ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6481

5 hours ago, snagglepuss said:

.... (how many NA motors do you know have oil spray cooling for the pistons)....

I think the BMW M30 3430cc engine has an oil spray bar for the cylinder head.... we were forever being reminded to check that the bolts didn't come loose.