The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

P38 coolant hoses replaced.
It now won't start. The dash lights come on, but it's not turning over, nothing, I'm guessing immobiliser. I shall start googling this later, but it's at the garage and not going anywhere any time soon, so no rush

20 minutes ago, skattrd said:

P38 coolant hoses replaced.
It now won't start. The dash lights come on, but it's not turning over, nothing, I'm guessing immobiliser. I shall start googling this later, but it's at the garage and not going anywhere any time soon, so no rush

Becm has probably fallen out of sync. I've got a syncmate for gems type ecu here that I'd let go for significantly less than new, if you require it of course.

2 minutes ago, mrdelmonti said:

Becm has probably fallen out of sync. I've got a syncmate for gems type ecu here that I'd let go for significantly less than new, if you require it of course.

Thanks, but I only understand part of that sentence.
What makes you say it could be BECM?

BECM, body control module?
I would have thought/hoped that was ok, no other errors. it did say some windows were out of sync last week, but I re-did those and all errors went. It then drove for a couple of hours before it did this.

Becm falls out of sync with the immobiliser causing a non start. It's not a faulty part, there is a sequential code that moves back and forth between the immobiliser and becm to tell the car you have the correct key, on occasion the code won't reach one or the other, they keep on counting up and fall out of sequence with each other, making each one think the key is incorrect.

It's a case of resetting the codes which normally requires either dealer level diag kit or the correct "sync mate" tool.

It's a reasonably common problem, I used to fix a 3 or 4 a year with the same fault.

Not been on this site for a long long time! Been getting into my off roading had a td5 discovery loved it but it was fit for the scrappers after going through many hedges and many many pay and play days

scored a cheep jimny loves it but it was to small. That’s gone on to live on a farm after the farmer was sick of having his quads nicked.

won another discovery on eBay last Friday and I’m getting it picked up as I’ve no free time lately! It’s unseen and I’ve payed for it ???

Popped into Asda and as I drove in there was a guy getting into  an E plate dark blue

Scrote three door estate. Gave him a toot and a thumbs up to which he pointed at mine

and did the same. E plate bruvvas innit yo. Best though was he had a light blue door

for the win. Sadly no pic coz I didn't have phone or camera. Doh ! So it didn't happen

I suppose.

5 hours ago, skattrd said:

Cheers Mr_Delmonti, makes sense to me, and a little googling from me shows the devices you mentioned and I potentially need the diesel one, not the GEMS one, £100 or so:

https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/category/basic-bits

I shall google more before thinking about coughing up for one of those.

Make sure the battery is absolutely tip top in a p38,they wont tolerate anything a bit weak. Your windows needing resetting could be a warning

Grump, Smile, my own thread or here, FFS, I don't know.

Anyway, took the roffle winning Merc down to my local friendly and helpful garage yesterday about the fuel leak. Up on the lift, sharp intake of breath, "how much fuel?" (it's fecking full), "ohhhh, got any big Jerry cans?". Well our mutual friend had some, so today I 'borrowed' them. (The drain plug in the bottom of the tank is leaking, £72 quids worth went in on the way back on Thursday, 3 miles from BMH towers).

Anyway, "give Merc a ring in Sheffield, they may have the bit" was the friendly advice.

So I did, great service, knew what part (seal around the plug), and about three and a bit quid. " Collect?". "Err, no, no UK stock at all, will have to come from Germany, 5 days or so" !!!. 

Today I rock up, car on lift, explain what's happened. Pull cover off, give apprentice big funnel and Jerry can. Pull out drain!!!!!. Almost fuck all petrol came out (tank still under suction). Seal, ha ha, it's just a cheap fucking O ring. Find one in box, plug in, apprentice released. (Merc put a slot in the threads so it is a drain, but that exposes the seal to petrol which perishes it). Car back together just as Mrs Garage Owner appears and asks if we're doing anything daft or stuipid (she knows me as well).

Finally, a passing comment, that o/s/f tre gaiter is bollocked and a fail, the n/s/f is on its way. And wire brush these bits, paint and stonechip that, then by next month I'll have forgotten what this looked like today.

Pictures flatter it a bit, but this was absolutely minging from it's last foray around the lanes a good few weeks ago now, so cleaned/polished it then took it for a damned good walloping. Pretty happy with an hour or so's work...

Image may contain: car, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Image may contain: car, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: car, tree, outdoor and nature

The idea was to grab a few pictures then bang it up for sale, along with the ML.  Perhaps that won't happen now, after showing a 3 series up just past the roundabout. 

I copied them from another site I'd uploaded them to. It's the same with Bay ones, fuck knows why it happens but it didn't use to on old AS. I blame the moderators and Fred Transit. And Norm.