The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

As predicted, Range Rover came out of garage on Tuesday. As the garage is on the same estate as Father's unit, Brother Fumbler burbled his way over there, only to give us the news that the front door has stopped working.

Normal service has been resumed.

2 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Thank you Mr Tickman for a most sensible motoring purchase. 

Someone buy my Prelude now plz thanx 

IMG_20190705_140441795_HDR.jpg

I don't suppose you are looking for a set of winter tyres for that, are you ? I have a set of 205/55/16 with plenty of tread available 

Just on a month ago I bought a couple of petrol pump globes on Ebay from a nice chap, I had paid via PayPal and due to fragility collected them. Yesterday I had an email from PayPal to say my payment was returned. I have never had this before and did wonder at first if it was a new scam. It wasn't, apparently the payment hadn't been claimed so they sat on it for a month. Luckily I had his phone number and contacted him, he had never checked his PayPal and just assumed the money was there (blamed his Mrs for setting things up wrong). To put things in order I have gone up with cash. Him and his brothers are into their cars (mainly Jaguars), but he showed me the X reg Omega V6 that he had recently bought to replace his Rover 75 that got written off when parked. The Omega is like new and I really mean like new, it has done 55k miles and comes with every receipt from new, including the original purchase receipt and the Tesco receipt for its first tank of fuel on the day it was collected from the dealer.  I just can't get over the condition, all the door shuts, interior and under bonnet are gleaming. He has fitted a new exhaust, think that was the only rattle.

He now doesn't want to use it as an everyday car as it's too good (the Rover was used mainly by his wife and used to pick up car park dents, I can see why he wouldn't want it to happen to this one).

I think it will be up for sale soon, I would love it so will keep in touch with him, no idea what I'd do with it though.

32 minutes ago, gm said:

I don't suppose you are looking for a set of winter tyres for that, are you ? I have a set of 205/55/16 with plenty of tread available 

Much you looking for? It's got a set of winter continentals on at the moment but spares are always handy

Mrs BMH had a look at the Merc today and immediately declared it a dog free zone. So that's both of her cars are dog free. My modern and the MGB are therefore the only cars the dog can travel in.

She also took her new motor for a run.

IMG_20190705_165752.thumb.jpg.58d8e4d7bdb9090feef3cfc165a406fc.jpg

Good to see a pug in its usual habitat.

Well the new HT leads have made bugger all difference to the Y10's running issues.  Nor have the new plugs improved the MX5- in fact if anything it's slightly worse than it was.  The cable tie holding the CX's CV boot has come off, and the Raleigh now won't fire at all.  So last weekend's fettling was in effect a complete write-off.  I can feel a severe attack of CBA coming on this weekend.  And if things don't improve soon lots of stuff is going to get sold. I simply can't cope with this many broken vehicles.

Nice - but not where I was expecting it to be. 

Now vehemently complaining that her Octavia vrs is hot (& it is, and I can’t work out why), now needs a new exhaust system ( main dealer only or aftermarket tuning version) , weeping water pump and a noisy top end means it needs time out of action.

so, this arrived yesterday

5B131A46-E0C6-4719-A7D7-69D1C1C09ACC.thumb.png.bb4e5e7fa7907f5aa62c07af08fe9c19.png

1C1607C5-AE40-4517-9AA1-924DA09EDB57.thumb.png.3f436df2f89a1bcd99e6f9ffb496339e.png

I intended it to be a surprise, with a personal plate on it, but circumstances dictate she gets it now.  

Actions dictate happiness so marital harmony is restored. For now.   Huge bills looming.

0AB0DCD5-C0BE-4EE3-9CAA-F79A0920023D.jpeg

0FBB244E-4625-423F-AC73-5E2F4577A831.jpeg

0D388C6B-5EDF-4EF5-9942-01F49EE19132.jpeg

4C42EB8C-D8A0-4032-997D-8564E62AA66E.jpeg

19 hours ago, SiC said:

Just paid for extra car storage. :)

First spot available on Monday with the next at the beginning of August. Yes, I've started looking already!

Thinking it will be a Dolly Sprint/GT6 (or Spitfire with GT6 engine)/Sprite (ideally as prefer over Midget). No massive rush as coming to end of season too when the bargains start coming up around end of August/September 

GT6 is still here. Just sayin'. 

On 7/5/2019 at 12:04 AM, trigger said:

.....East Coast Retros meet this evening along with Practical Classics magazine, my god, what a turn out! .......

.....A Mazda Cosmo.

89f0f630732645443f17282f614a3b52.jpg

That will be Phil Blake's. He has another one which has long been fit for spares only. There are only three of these things in the country. Someone's asking about 99 grand for the third one....

On 7/3/2019 at 7:59 PM, richardmorris said:

I’ve been sent a book to review, do any seasoned reviewers have tips for doing it? 

628E7B16-EA70-4C17-9A54-450E67EBA5B0.jpeg

In your usual style and with the benefit of decades of knowledge and experience, I would have thought. Accompanied by a pastis or three....

I have reviewed railway books in the past for the finescale model railway society that I belong to. Negative reviews don't go down at all well, even if you genuinely felt the book was shite. One member in particular had a go at me for it, and we've been at daggers drawn ever since. What, then, is the point of a book review if you're not allowed to write about what you felt?

25 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That will be Phil Blake's. He has another one which has long been fit for spares only. There are only three of these things in the country. Someone's asking about 99 grand for the third one....

In your usual style and with the benefit of decades of knowledge and experience, I would have thought. Accompanied by a pastis or three....

I have reviewed railway books in the past for the finescale model railway society that I belong to. Negative reviews don't go down at all well, even if you genuinely felt the book was shite. One member in particular had a go at me for it, and we've been at daggers drawn ever since. What, then, is the point of a book review if you're not allowed to write about what you felt?

Turns out I’m in the thanks section- along with the chairman and Ragnar.

My dad took the 2cv to their local village fete today ( garden village, Wrexham). It won a rosette whilst my mum’s cake stall for church mad £230,  Not sure what category the rosette was ( best 2cv? Maybe, the Fiat won one a couple of years ago for best 1980s).  I’ll call them later.

1EFC38DC-5E0C-4B52-A089-C7FC9720C23D.png

F155C923-9FC8-4BA3-8A9D-41F6FD414348.jpeg

6BE23D96-6D12-4730-BF20-1673B7A467E7.jpeg