The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

they don't look bad at all but it's the ones either side of the engine that are a worry on the mk2, not that easy to check from above but definitely worth checking out next time it's up on ramps and you've got the under tray off

This ...

Since GM posted a link to the lights up lights down channel on YouTube I have seen some galloping rot.

They pretty much said in MK2 if it is going elsewhere then the front chassis rails are likely to be toast.

I'm off to collect the Peugeot 205 I accidentally* won on eBay last Saturday later today. There won't be live updates as my phone is a cheap pay as you go job but there will be photos and the main points will be covered when I get back home. Considering that I'm just outside of Brum and the car is in Colchester there's a good chance that there will be both a pez shot and a poo count. As I mentioned in my main thread I'll be trying to avoid motorways at least at the beginning of the journey as I don't know what effect 100+ miles of motorway driving will have on a car that, judging by it's average of 300 miles a year since 2006 has probably only been used for a weekly trip to the shops.

Any number plate collectors in the house?

This one struck me as unusual so I rescued it...

15614752201151092492975.thumb.jpg.5dc433e100818f325a72626461131b6f.jpg

15614752514541501530354.thumb.jpg.6daa7d27bbdcd0a7696a0d1b76ae464c.jpg

Me!

That is a nice one, I also have a “non-serck” serck in the collection.

144e4670f49c3837123f5d30512257ef.jpg

601e06deee551defc0e1fcd577a25582.jpg

Note my period correct lost digit replacement!

I would love to roam around UK scrap yards harvesting number plates, bloody Australian ones have to be handed in to the authorities so no such fun can be had.

On 6/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, chaseracer said:

That went well.

Even the HBoL says, with typically misleading understatement, that "access is difficult" on the 2.0HDi, whereas the pez and the 1.9D appear to be a doddle by comparison.  First, I made a list of the things I would have to remove and - more importantly - replace in such a way that the car worked afterward.  Then I made a cup of tea.

Sensibly, I've decided to mow the lawn instead and call Tame Mechanic in the morning.

Not the crank sensor.  Tamely Mechanical investigations suggest that the BSI unit has gone PHUT.  Tame Auto-electrician is to be consulted.

Arsebiscuits.

45 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Not the crank sensor.  Tamely Mechanical investigations suggest that the BSI unit has gone PHUT.  Tame Auto-electrician is to be consulted.

Arsebiscuits.

Not a great result!

If it makes you feel any better the 205 has decided it prefers it's oil on the outside of the engine.

I noticed the rocker gasket was leaking and have a replacement, just haven't bothered to change it and in the meantime I think it has totally given up.

In motoring yin and yang I have been both sensible and stupid today. Sensible is buying a new, little, economical, car, ready to go back to work, stupid is taking the Chrysler out for a spin and burning through thirty quidsworth of petrol without actually going anywhere. (I think perhaps I was getting it to kick down a bit too often, just to enjoy the acceleration and noise)

On 6/25/2019 at 4:04 PM, cort16 said:

That’s the cortina sold. A guy came today and is driving it back to Somerset !

My car mojo is low just now so no immediate plan to replace it although we’ll see how that statement stands in 24hrs.

320touring spotted a picture of it on Facebook south bound and not down so not too bad. Hopefully he made it.

E55B0FD7-17D7-40FB-9A36-149A2749BEBA.thumb.jpeg.5a84aeccd440b3ab83a7ed59dd3ee06b.jpeg

52 minutes ago, egg said:

can someone ID the car pls...?

My Grandad had a Velox.  He died in 1968 and, although his wife offered me the car in 1969, my parents deemed that my age (20) and penniless state (student) made me an unsuitable recipient.

KVO was thus last seen in Clifton, Nottingham in 1969.   

Scan 99.jpeg

They were an odd bit of kit - basically a pre-war Vauxhall 10 with a new front end and bigger boot grafted on, and (in the case of the Velox) a much heavier 6-cylinder engine which did wonders* for the handling (which already wasn't the best).  Admittedly the 10 was a fairly advanced car when it came out, but it was still looking pretty old fashioned by the late '40s, especially next to the likes of the MO Oxford (sidevalve engine aside) and Jowett Javelin.

Wipers were driven off the camshaft, for some reason.

The chap I went to check out the x1/9 for at the weekend has sent me a ticket for Goodwood’s festival of speed on Thursday. He’s a tv outdoor broadcast sound engineer so it’s probably a freebie but still generous. The ticket mentions special parking if you’re bringing your pride and joy, so I’ve just found out what qualifies on their website. Oddly, 2cvs, x1/9s and elderly Mercedes don’t seem to be wanted.

Does anyone have a car that would be accepted? ( mr six cyl aside - actually now that’s a thought, perhaps I could ask if I could borrow the e type or Maserati?!).

Is anyone else going on Thursday?

A31BBB7B-5C7C-4486-AD36-905A625D2289.png

Deposit taken, Civic is sold pending V5. I'm suspicious they've lost it (sent it off to get displacement changed). How do you order a replacement again (if I can't find the other half for the reference number?)