The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

birthday yesterday turned 44, got some bits to upgrade stereo etc in the mondeo, just gotta off my bum and walk to the car park

Forgot im not mr plastic bendoman  , laying on my hip and upside down

20190621_094147.jpg

20190621_093718.jpg

Screenshot_20190621-095057_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190621-095057_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

Routing the rca/remote and power cables opposite sides to reduce interferance

20190621_104408.jpg

Fuse & holder should really be up at the battery end. Fuses in automotive protect the wiring primarily before the thing attached at the end of it. If the wire chaffed through anywhere before the fuse on a part of the body, you potentially have a car fire on your hands. 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Fuse & holder should really be up at the battery end. Fuses in automotive protect the wiring primarily before the thing attached at the end of it. If the wire chaffed through anywhere before the fuse on a part of the body, you potentially have a car fire on your hands. 

i knew this but couldnt understand why the big ring for the battery was nearer the fuse when i was installing it, i was planning on moving it up to the battery end

So I've had the Civic for a little bit from iamgroot of this parish. Mechanically it is clearly brilliant. There wasn't really any history when I got it from him but it genuinely has been taken care of. Such a strong drivetrain and no smoke or leaks. I've set about doing a few little things to it that it needed. A full service has been done including the bastard fuel filter. Pleasingly the air and pollen filters weren't even that bad so it's been kept on top of. New set of Bosch wipers put on, the old ones were HORRENDOUS.  I found the passenger wiper arm was stiff and therefore not pressing onto the screen properly so liberally applying WD40 into the joints and shaking like mad freed it up perfectly and now pleasingly hits the screen. 

The battery was on its last legs and failed as I left the lights on. I noticed the interior light didn't come on nor did the light warning and traced this to a faulty door switch. Also it wasn't secured and seeing as the mot is due soon, it's a failure if it isn't secure so off to Honda I went for some goodies. New battery clamp and bolts, and a new Halfords battery which was better value than Euro (I've got the hallowed trade card lol). Looks miles better and starts much quicker! I've ordered the original positive terminal cover to finish it off so I'll pop that on too in the coming days. Treated myself to some new dealer number plates as well to freshen it up!

Also, the key, Jesus Christ was bodged. Had to get a new one cut and programmed for £90 which wasn't bad at all. 

Only things left to do are refresh the headlamps, and put Gechniq 40 solution in the plastics to make it black again. The headlamps aren't bad, but I've become a dab hand at the wet/dry sandpaper method and it'll make it look even better. Oh and fit my stereo too..oh and get rid of the awful gearknob for an original one lol

IMG_20190621_180646.jpg

IMG_20190621_180529.jpg

IMG_20190621_175633.jpg

IMG_20190621_173545.jpg

IMG_20190621_171332.jpg

2 minutes ago, sims00 said:

So I've had the Civic for a little bit from iamgroot of this parish. Mechanically it is clearly brilliant. There wasn't really any history when I got it from him but it genuinely has been taken care of. Such a strong drivetrain and no smoke or leaks. I've set about doing a few little things to it that it needed. A full service has been done including the bastard fuel filter. Pleasingly the air and pollen filters weren't even that bad so it's been kept on top of. New set of Bosch wipers put on, the old ones were HORRENDOUS.  I found the passenger wiper arm was stiff and therefore not pressing onto the screen properly so liberally applying WD40 into the joints and shaking like mad freed it up perfectly and now pleasingly hits the screen. 

The battery was on its last legs and failed as I left the lights on. I noticed the interior light didn't come on nor did the light warning and traced this to a faulty door switch. Also it wasn't secured and seeing as the mot is due soon, it's a failure if it isn't secure so off to Honda I went for some goodies. New battery clamp and bolts, and a new Halfords battery which was better value than Euro (I've got the hallowed trade card lol). Looks miles better and starts much quicker! I've ordered the original positive terminal cover to finish it off so I'll pop that on too in the coming days. Treated myself to some new dealer number plates as well to freshen it up!

Also, the key, Jesus Christ was bodged. Had to get a new one cut and programmed for £90 which wasn't bad at all. 

Only things left to do are refresh the headlamps, and put Gechniq 40 solution in the plastics to make it black again. The headlamps aren't bad, but I've become a dab hand at the wet/dry sandpaper method and it'll make it look even better. Oh and fit my stereo too..oh and get rid of the awful gearknob for an original one lol

IMG_20190621_180646.jpg

IMG_20190621_180529.jpg

IMG_20190621_175633.jpg

IMG_20190621_173545.jpg

IMG_20190621_171332.jpg

By the pictures, I'm guessing this is a Civic Mk8 ctdi?

Where did you get the key made and cut? Honda dealer?

My old one is now owned by my in-laws, but one of the keys packed up. So could do with a new one. 

8 minutes ago, SiC said:

By the pictures, I'm guessing this is a Civic Mk8 ctdi?

Where did you get the key made and cut? Honda dealer?

My old one is now owned by my in-laws, but one of the keys packed up. So could do with a new one. 

Yup on the car. Nope I used a local auto locksmith. Dealer was painfully expensive, and this was the cheapest and really good!

405 went in for its test this morning. 
20190621_091811.thumb.jpg.f7031a5423a24d2a63a6b241bd5fa0e0.jpg
Huzzah! 
20190621_100630.thumb.jpg.0c43b8cf338e7d8d19d061087e82850e.jpg
A run to the park for a coffee to celebrate was had. 
11k (thought it was more) trouble free miles in the last year. Most of them on veg. Love this motor. 
I think my girlfriend's Clio was MOT tested at the same place despite going to a garage in Denny. I should put the 306 there if they're reasonably forgiving.

2 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:
9 hours ago, davehedgehog31 said:
405 went in for its test this morning. 
20190621_091811.thumb.jpg.f7031a5423a24d2a63a6b241bd5fa0e0.jpg
Huzzah! 
20190621_100630.thumb.jpg.0c43b8cf338e7d8d19d061087e82850e.jpg
A run to the park for a coffee to celebrate was had. 
11k (thought it was more) trouble free miles in the last year. Most of them on veg. Love this motor. 

I think my girlfriend's Clio was MOT tested at the same place despite going to a garage in Denny. I should put the 306 there if they're reasonably forgiving.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting with "forgiving" ?

Nah, they're pretty fair. They only do MOTs so no incentive to generate work. They have three sites in Cumbernauld, I use the one at Wardpark and know that 320T among others do also. 

http://www.cumbernauldmotcentre.com/

So two MoT failures this week has me thinking about a fleet reshuffle. Neither failure is too bad (probably around £400 worth of work each), but with a house purchase completing in 2 weeks and a wedding in July, I’m not exactly flush with cash so I certainly can’t afford to do both. (Or either really but needs must!)

On the upside it does show how reliable the 2CV is being! It has a clean MoT and has been in daily service for the last few days. 

F7071429-556B-4430-875F-7C26BAD2B569.jpeg