The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

39 minutes ago, HMC said:

FLP’ing heck, brilliant! Hoping it’s not got alloys for that never seen e30 look.

I’m afraid it does have alloys - factory bottletops, which are high on my list of favourite wheels of evah.  

I do really like the look of standard silver steels on these though. Maybe I’ll get a set with winter tyres for OMG snokaos.

Collection thread to follow.  Just had a call from the seller to warn me of a new quirk it’s developed.  More on that story later.

I've got nothing against binmen, but Serco aren't the best...

I thought I had one in stock, but it's a different type (there were a few iterations on Mk1/2). Have to see if I've got one in the loft.

Third time the car has been kissed in 2 years.

3 hours ago, egg said:

I've got nothing against binmen, but Serco aren't the best...

I thought I had one in stock, but it's a different type (there were a few iterations on Mk1/2). Have to see if I've got one in the loft.

Third time the car has been kissed in 2 years.

I was reading something on the inter webs earlier that Serco in Canterbury have a 40%+ extremely dissatisfied clientele. They were shit when I lived there 1997-2001

Had an interview and driving assessment with a local haulage company subbing for DB Schenker this morning, and drove a 2016 DAF LF identical to this one. It felt like a limo compared to the M-B Ategos I've been driving lately:

$_86.jpeg

The upshot is that I start my new driving job next Thursday :)

36 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I was reading something on the inter webs earlier that Serco in Canterbury have a 40%+ extremely dissatisfied clientele. They were shit when I lived there 1997-2001

Yep, and the Council has finally reacted - in 2021 the bin service will revert to an in-house provider. I'm generally not pro contracting out public services. It can occasionally improve some small services, but it usually fails.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/council-to-bin-relationship-with-under-fire-serco-200076/

7 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

Had an interview and driving assessment with a local haulage company subbing for DB Schenker this morning, and drove a 2016 DAF LF identical to this one. It felt like a limo compared to the M-B Ategos I've been driving lately:

$_86.jpeg

The upshot is that I start my new driving job next Thursday :)

These are beautiful lorries to drive. Congratulations, you'll enjoy your new job

19 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, and the Council has finally reacted - in 2021 the bin service will revert to an in-house provider. I'm generally not pro contracting out public services. It can occasionally improve some small services, but it usually fails.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/council-to-bin-relationship-with-under-fire-serco-200076/

Also it cost us more, the workers end up on less and getting top up benefits, the cost of the contract increases each time, the profit has to come from somewhere. It does look good on the councils books though.

image.png

The electrifying new work tool has been delayed by a few days so, in an uncharacteristic fit of Gallic pique, the Blingo shat its crankshaft sensor yesterday.  It's like they KNOW. ?

Lucky I've got the 205 as a backup daily!  Ah, bollocks... ?

Off up the local rental place at 0730 this AM, then...

Yeah could've been worse, just awaiting their quote for replacing the brake pipes now,  failed on three out of the four and advisory for the fourth, so looks like a whole new set! Weirdly they’ve not been an advisory on the last 4 MoTs (although they were 5 years ago) and the brake disc condition which was an advisory last year (and I did nothing about as I checked and decided they were fine) wasn’t an advisory... shows how subjective the MoT really is. 

13 hours ago, chaseracer said:

image.png

The electrifying new work tool has been delayed by a few days so, in an uncharacteristic fit of Gallic pique, the Blingo shat its crankshaft sensor yesterday.  It's like they KNOW. ?

Lucky I've got the 205 as a backup daily!  Ah, bollocks... ?

Off up the local rental place at 0730 this AM, then...

Sympathy like, they do know don't they

13 hours ago, Bucketeer said:

I tried AX camping for the first time recently and enjoyed it so much that I'm still doing it. These ace little cars really can do anything (except handbrake turns).

IMG_20190618_202415605_HDR.thumb.jpg.cc8b7756024db13f4e894b9e3a7469b5.jpg

There is a lot of love for the venerable AX round here isn’t there, and I think they look ace. I must have a look and a drive of one some day.

50 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

There is a lot of love for the venerable AX round here isn’t there, and I think they look ace. I must have a look and a drive of one some day.

I got my first AX only a couple of years ago but now I wouldn't ever want to be without one.

Six_cylinder and I have spent the past few days talking about little except the (many) small differences between his series 2 1.1TZX and my series 2 1.1i Forte. We have been tempted to write all our findings up in to one massive AX nerdfest (aka cure for insomnia).