The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

37 minutes ago, HMC said:

Based on colour combo presume it’s 70s- any more clues?

80s actually - it's a 1983 on an A prefix.  It will make up a dandy Giant Test trio with my Audi 80 2.0E and Honda Accord Aerodeck; it predates them both by half a model cycle, but they did overlap.

Slapping the wheels from my old Civic Aerodeck onto the Basket has helped tenfold! Helps they are all the same tyre(Falken ZE914’s if memory serves) and balanced. 

3A4CF487-13AC-489E-8BD4-A946905D41DE.thumb.jpeg.b19930d47c3d6d15f17907b5888ceabb.jpeg

It’s transformed it handling wise and I’d even say has helped with the scuttle shake. I’d been feeling a bit meh on the car of late but this has restored hope in it. :D 

Now a set of lowering springs(nothing silly) and a strut brace are a bit too tempting...

Not got as much done today as I'd been hoping as it kept bloody raining.  I went out in the Y10 this morning and it was playing up like buggery, popping and farting about and refusing to accelerate.  The fuel light was on, but I ignored it as I'd stuck £10 in the tank since I repaired the filler and only done a couple of miles.  It got worse and worse though and I ended up pulling into a petrol station and sticking another tenner in - that cured it and it went back to being only mildly temperamental as per usual.  It's odd though that sticking £10 in was barely enough to touch the sides, especially with such a small tank - I wonder if whoever siphoned the fuel out went below the "usable" bit of the tank somehow?

I got home and then jump started the Renault 6 to go to Tesco - it usually needs jump starting if it hasn't been used for a while as the mechanical fuel pump takes ages to drag fuel up from the tank, and the ancient battery (the same one that was on the car when I bought it 11 1/2 years ago, and it was far from new then) can't crank it over for that long.  Once it's started it's then fine for the rest of the day.  It's running quite happily and the offside front brake doesn't seem to be sticking as badly as it was, but I think I might have an earthing issue on the nearside rear light cluster as the indicators have started playing up if I brake whilst indicating.  I didn't get a chance to look at that today, so that's a job for next weekend.

Got the CX up on the ramps for a more detailed poke around, which I'd been unable to do up to now because either I've been busy or the weather's been shite.  In terms of rot it's not the worst CX I've had - probably no worse than the blue estate was when I bought that - but it has had some slightly shoddy repairs done on the sills in the past.  Fortunately they're normally hidden by the sill covers so not the end of the world.  It's definitely going to need a bit of patching up under there though.  Also the offside CV boot appears to have lost its retaining clip at the hub end, which is odd - the boot is still in place but it's obviously not tight so it's been chucking a bit of grease out.  I've got a spare clip somewhere, so next weekend I'll repack the CV joint with grease and then attempt to bodge the clip into place (I bloody hate those CV boot clips, but I don't think there's room for a Jubilee clip).  It also has a bit of an LHM leak from somewhere around the accumulator sphere - it is very minor though, it doesn't leave a wet patch on the ground and the LHM level hasn't dropped in the 1200 or so miles I've now done in the car, so I'm going to ignore it for now...

57 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

.....Got the CX up on the ramps for a more detailed poke around, which I'd been unable to do up to now because either I've been busy or the weather's been shite.  In terms of rot it's not the worst CX I've had - probably no worse than the blue estate was when I bought that - but it has had some slightly shoddy repairs done on the sills in the past.  Fortunately they're normally hidden by the sill covers so not the end of the world.  It's definitely going to need a bit of patching up under there though.  Also the offside CV boot appears to have lost its retaining clip at the hub end, which is odd - the boot is still in place but it's obviously not tight so it's been chucking a bit of grease out.  I've got a spare clip somewhere, so next weekend I'll repack the CV joint with grease and then attempt to bodge the clip into place (I bloody hate those CV boot clips, but I don't think there's room for a Jubilee clip).  It also has a bit of an LHM leak from somewhere around the accumulator sphere - it is very minor though, it doesn't leave a wet patch on the ground and the LHM level hasn't dropped in the 1200 or so miles I've now done in the car, so I'm going to ignore it for now...

No news is good news ?

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Also the offside CV boot appears to have lost its retaining clip at the hub end, which is odd - the boot is still in place but it's obviously not tight so it's been chucking a bit of grease out.  I've got a spare clip somewhere, so next weekend I'll repack the CV joint with grease and then attempt to bodge the clip into place (I bloody hate those CV boot clips, but I don't think there's room for a Jubilee clip).  

Would a couple of cable ties hold it in place? 

12 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I went out in the Y10 this morning and it was playing up like buggery, popping and farting about and refusing to accelerate.  The fuel light was on, but I ignored it as I'd stuck £10 in the tank since I repaired the filler and only done a couple of miles.  It got worse and worse though and I ended up pulling into a petrol station and sticking another tenner in - that cured it and it went back to being only mildly temperamental as per usual.  It's odd though that sticking £10 in was barely enough to touch the sides, especially with such a small tank - I wonder if whoever siphoned the fuel out went below the "usable" bit of the tank somehow?

Fuel pump maybe on its way out? I.e. Fresh fuel is cooler and gets the pump going a bit better again for a while. 

My experience with fuel pumps is that they tend to start dieing if they have been run dry - especially if the pump is aged and quite old. Even more frustrating is that they can fail intermittently during a drive and start working when they cool back off again. Making it even harder to diagnose. 

If it keeps having trouble, I'd keep the pump as a potential failure point in mind. 

15 hours ago, Brodders said:

I am guessing it is an executive vehicle made by a mainstream manufacturer. Going with my gut, I would say Vauxhall Carlton, however I cannot help getting visions of something French and brown.

Is it a Peugeot 604?

Executive and mainstream - yes, more or less.  Not nearly as rare or interesting as a 604 I’m afraid, although getting hard to find in this shiter spec/state.

15 hours ago, HMC said:

Bmw e23 7 series 

Good guess but no.

Collection is now confirmed for tomorrow early evening.

The Scirocco actually broke down on Friday, just before its previous owner H Imp was to visit barefoot towers. It had been starting up on three for about a week, but I had ignored it. On Friday, I diagnosed and ordered new ignition leads, today they arrived and I managed to fit them successfully! That is the second repair I have managed this year - I is fucking mechanic me!

4 hours ago, HMC said:

Giving up but a last guess

4E4BBE72-C218-4FF4-B01F-DF94CB6792B7.png

Mmm, very nice. Good guess but no. Plus they were on to the aerodynamic C3 by 1983.

3 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I'm going to have a go at this:

Datsun Bluebird.

Family friends in Maidenhead had one, and it was very brown. And it had a brown interior.

Nope. More executive than that.

1 hour ago, Stevebrookman said:

Vauxhall Carlton 1.8 L

Nope, not a Carlton.

And 1.8 L?  How dare you, sir.  

It has a proper executive cylinder count, i.e. more than four.  I decided it’s been too long since I bought a car with a civilised number of pistons.

11 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Mmm, very nice. Good guess but no. Plus they were on to the aerodynamic C3 by 1983.

Nope. More executive than that.

Nope, not a Carlton.

And 1.8 L?  How dare you, sir.  

It has a proper executive cylinder count, i.e. more than four.  I decided it’s been too long since I bought a car with a civilised number of pistons.

What could possibly be more executive than a Datsun Bluebird “1983 on an A”? 

The mind boggles.