The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

13 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Love this car ❤

It's a cracker. I've had faster and more "fancy" cars than this, but the driving position and the handling makes it my favourite. you can chuck it into corners you'd have to brake for with other cars, feels planted to the ground. Had a blast with it today

10 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Transit is misbehaving, again.  It ran quite badly (limp mode and blowing exhaust) which was cured by tightening up an exhaust stud and taking it to another garage to have the EGR properly deleted, ie on a computer. Made a big difference, pulled better loaded and unloaded and although no ball of fire, it was an improvement. Then, halfway home yesterday, the exhaust started blowing again and it seems to be back in limp mode.  

I think it's time with me is going to very short lived.

The problem is that you are doing it wrong. What you need is this: https//mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/auction-dates/vehicles/7962-1946-bedford-owsc-breakdown-lorry

11 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Transit is misbehaving, again.  It ran quite badly (limp mode and blowing exhaust) which was cured by tightening up an exhaust stud and taking it to another garage to have the EGR properly deleted, ie on a computer. Made a big difference, pulled better loaded and unloaded and although no ball of fire, it was an improvement. Then, halfway home yesterday, the exhaust started blowing again and it seems to be back in limp mode.  

I think it's time with me is going to very short lived.

My old Iveco truck never went into limp mode.  #justsayin

7 hours ago, MikeR said:

the local petrol  cartel seems to be under cut by a good 5p by a new local'ish Esso garage that is on 99.9% of the commute route for the Liverpool bound traffic ..

123.9p a litre !!! 

Same price as Asda at switch island. 

Esso only been open 3 days so obviously just an introductory offer.  You wait. It will be the same price as all the others by September. 

59 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

I found a cheap curtain side Iv*co and pointed it out to my mate. He's snapped it up and is turning it into a beavertail.

Some mate you are!

Done  a rare bit of chod-fondling today. The 406 coupe I got off Bramz was painfully slow. I knew it should have been better, so I've been doing a bit of googling of late.

Had a look around it, and checked for anything obvious amiss. Found it had a big slab of metal tube stitched into one of the intakres, and a steel pipe on the end of the intake, just before the manifold. Though it had had a load of bodging in the past, so decided to get rid. Had a load of Gumtree messers (surprise!!!), so kept looking round for ideas to sort it. Found on 406 OC that all the pipework that I thought was a bodge, is a delete of air dosers and EGR. This got me wondering whether the low power was something fairly simple, and whether the car had had some previous fettling in the go-faster stakes.

Apparently, the 2.2 hdi is really picky about having a good MAF, so I hit Ebay, and bought the cheapest one I could find. £23 with next day delivery. In the meantime, a guy on 406oc had posted that he had used the same supplier for one, and had good results. 

Fitted it tonight, and FUCK ME, it goes like a scalded cat. I'm convinced it's been mapped, as it feels way faster than Mrs S's Alfa. Not sure how I can tell without a rolling road session, which I can't really be arsed with.

Suffice to say, I'll be keeping it for a while.

19 hours ago, MikeR said:

the local petrol  cartel seems to be under cut by a good 5p by a new local'ish Esso garage that is on 99.9% of the commute route for the Liverpool bound traffic ..

123.9p a litre !!! 

That's the standard supermarket price of petrol down here in the expensive South....

123.9!!! I wish I could get it that cheap... (and the petrol fnarr fnarr) 

In other news I was supposed to go to a local cars and coffee charitee/fathers day extravaganza type event. You needed to get your car there by 10am as they were closing the road. I woke up at 9.30... 

Guess I won’t be going then! 

12 hours ago, sporty-shite said:

Some mate you are!

Done  a rare bit of chod-fondling today. The 406 coupe I got off Bramz was painfully slow. I knew it should have been better, so I've been doing a bit of googling of late.

Had a look around it, and checked for anything obvious amiss. Found it had a big slab of metal tube stitched into one of the intakres, and a steel pipe on the end of the intake, just before the manifold. Though it had had a load of bodging in the past, so decided to get rid. Had a load of Gumtree messers (surprise!!!), so kept looking round for ideas to sort it. Found on 406 OC that all the pipework that I thought was a bodge, is a delete of air dosers and EGR. This got me wondering whether the low power was something fairly simple, and whether the car had had some previous fettling in the go-faster stakes.

Apparently, the 2.2 hdi is really picky about having a good MAF, so I hit Ebay, and bought the cheapest one I could find. £23 with next day delivery. In the meantime, a guy on 406oc had posted that he had used the same supplier for one, and had good results. 

Fitted it tonight, and FUCK ME, it goes like a scalded cat. I'm convinced it's been mapped, as it feels way faster than Mrs S's Alfa. Not sure how I can tell without a rolling road session, which I can't really be arsed with.

Suffice to say, I'll be keeping it for a while.

Sweet! I knew there wasn't something quite right about it. And I guessed MAF too...

On 6/11/2019 at 4:12 PM, 00833827 said:

all back together, gonna fill with water before coolant to see if any leaks. also thinking of a dishwasher tablet or two in there to clear out all the remaining junk - i have read great things on here about it

Got the Carina out for a spin this morning after the waterpump and belt change. Wanted to see the temperature was being controlled ok so up the hills i went. Lots of 2nd and 3rd gear climbing and waiting for the temp guage to go up to the top but she held centre. Fan came on too and hoses and rad getting hot so seems to be all good. Hot air coming into cabin so seems to be all boxes ticked. Happy that i was able to complete such a job as tb and wp as its one i always wanted to tackle.

20190616_095918.jpg

Just written a  moan about an idiot audi q driver this morning and decided even I couldn’t be bothered about it. On the plus side, locally sourced lamb for dinner. Stupidly. Locally sourced in Waitrose Bagshot all the way from New Zealand when the real thing is 100m away.

A40C8125-4BBB-4627-AE28-2835629052F7.jpeg

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

Just on a jolly! Yes Chester, always worth a visit!

As a 6month old I was taken for walks in a pushchair through the middle on the public footpath- parents lived in Upton before moving to wrexham.

My dad plays tennis with one of the zoo’s directors, so if you’ve any complaints......

we has been to The Yorkshire Farming Museum's classic car show, it is the same day as the big one at Castle Howard, and the Modified Car Show at Scampston Hall.

we MUCH prefer going to Murton Park, its a small, intimate kinda show, plus there is the Derwent Valley Light Railway there, so it is possible to have a ride on a train.

and we don't have to look at Barried up Corsa's, or pay £12 each for the privilege of showing our car...... We were dead lucky with the weather too, we had got back to the lock-ups and got the the cars away before we got caught in the rain. it was only a short shower, but the was heavy!

these are some of the vehicles we have seen today.

DSCN8733.JPG

DSCN8734.JPG

DSCN8735.JPG

DSCN8736.JPG

DSCN8737.JPG

DSCN8738.JPG

DSCN8739.JPG

DSCN8740.JPG

DSCN8741.JPG

DSCN8742.JPG

DSCN8743.JPG

DSCN8744.JPG