The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

38 minutes ago, cms206 said:

As of July 4th I am unemployed, through my own choice.

I've never been unemployed since I turned sixteen and I've never had a job interview. This should go well*.

Welcome to the club and good luck!

2 hours ago, cms206 said:

As of July 4th I am unemployed, through my own choice.

I've never been unemployed since I turned sixteen and I've never had a job interview. This should go well*.

I salute you. Can't say I've ever chosen to be under employed, but before I went freelance, I'd been made redundant twice.  Both times what came out of it was 100 times better. 

10 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I tried some Renovo on the Audi roof last night, the first 2 pictures are before.

It needs another pass but I'm happy that it looks a lot better than before.

BTW the stuf absolutely HUMS! A combination of shite and landfill.

I gave mine a good clean with soapy water and a scrubbing brush before hood dye and water proofer, it came up great.

9 hours ago, loserone said:

Yeah, Henry has always been shit at dog hair ?

Reckon a nice day out in the sales for it tomorrow, though I'm struggling to get the kids' seats tight enough in the back

I didn't bother with the hair, but just putting the nozzle near the carpets under the front seats pulled an inch thick layer of dust out and away! 

Please post some after pics once it's had a proper clean, the outside might be amazing as it is, but the interior will clean up really well I think, apart from the small hole in the drivers seat it looked pretty mint under the grime

Yeah, I bet it was pretty rancid, thanks to everyone's efforts making it more habitable!

I currently think I have to sell it, as it's not got the "drive of your life" steering I really want, and I can only afford to run one toy car and I like the MGF too much.  But fret not, I have three potential plans and no matter which comes to fruition, it will still be on the forum (and one keeps in my street)

Transit is misbehaving, again.  It ran quite badly (limp mode and blowing exhaust) which was cured by tightening up an exhaust stud and taking it to another garage to have the EGR properly deleted, ie on a computer. Made a big difference, pulled better loaded and unloaded and although no ball of fire, it was an improvement. Then, halfway home yesterday, the exhaust started blowing again and it seems to be back in limp mode.  

I think it's time with me is going to very short lived.

Did some more waterproofing fiddling on the MGB last night (will write up later) and I think I've got it sorted. Biggest problem was that Toms Knob wasn't blocked up, but the rubber has gone all hard. So water wasn't draining quickly at all from it. Tempted to cut it off. 

Went for a drive this morning for petrol and a potter. Started up ok but it felt incredibly grumpy. It ran however rather low down on power and a tad lumpy. Was wondering if with all the rain we've had, water has got into somewhere electrical it shouldn't have. Pulled up into a nearby car park and popped the bonnet for a quick check.

20190615_100841.thumb.jpg.9c16b6003864784fd5da824e63073851.jpg

20190615_100844.thumb.jpg.20e2185a9e3f4b252bb38f7e5579e17c.jpg

Err yeah that'll do it. Quite surprised how well it ran on 3 really!

You can also see in that last picture, the best solution I have to stopping the dipstick moving around... Turning it so the handle pushes against the heater valve. Almost as if it was designed like that! When I was fiddling with the dipstick, I removed the cap and must have forgotten to put it back on. Oops.

Spent the day starting wiring the camper up for solar charging...

Took one look at the furniture and fittings and decided that I had the square root of feck all chance of running three cables from the back of the van to the front (where I want to plug the panels in) so decided to go outside. A hole in the floor was made, and the three wires pushed into some conduit for protection. In shot, but not properly sited, is the fancy German charge controller I bought for the job:

IMG_1686.thumb.JPG.4135b3d8592ae30c9d8a751595889017.JPG

Then it was a case of cable tying the conduit to anything likely - fortunately, as it's already converted there are wires and pipes going everywhere underneath, so I just followed some of those. Across the back axle and along the side of the clean water tank, then over the front subframe, inside the inner wing and into the engine bay.

IMG_1688.thumb.JPG.26014e81b86d73ffd7b61de854245591.JPG

IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.d6e61799a771dc50d4917d17302c9d62.JPG

I'm going to mount the sockets in the unused foglamp recesses in the bumper, so you won't see them. That means taking all the front centre panels off, but that's not a bad job, as I know from replacing the radiator after the embarrassing levelling ramp catastrophe. Thankfully I remembered to branch off the second live wire to the van's battery; when the controller senses there's more leccy available than the leisure battery can safely handle, it will send some to the starter battery as well.

IMG_1684.thumb.JPG.7ed31074e2209d76ce6a0bf455a3a345.JPG

Yes, that is sand and, yes, I am a scruffy bastard.

13 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Love this car ❤

It's a cracker. I've had faster and more "fancy" cars than this, but the driving position and the handling makes it my favourite. you can chuck it into corners you'd have to brake for with other cars, feels planted to the ground. Had a blast with it today

10 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Transit is misbehaving, again.  It ran quite badly (limp mode and blowing exhaust) which was cured by tightening up an exhaust stud and taking it to another garage to have the EGR properly deleted, ie on a computer. Made a big difference, pulled better loaded and unloaded and although no ball of fire, it was an improvement. Then, halfway home yesterday, the exhaust started blowing again and it seems to be back in limp mode.  

The problem is that you are doing it wrong. What you need is this: https//mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/auction-dates/vehicles/7962-1946-bedford-owsc-breakdown-lorry

11 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

My old Iveco truck never went into limp mode.  #justsayin