The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

15 quid off Gumtree just now, local in Nottingham.

No bullshit, no pissing about. 

It's an Ikea Kallax https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/kallax-shelving-unit-black-brown-art-20275885/

Seller getting rid of all her old furniture for design/colour reasons.

ikeashizzle.thumb.jpg.000a6a3410986a09c610c0aedad11554.jpg

Good job it was an Ikea as it didn't quite fit in the 620 much to my embarrassment. Cue fumbling around in the pissing rain for an allen key. Which, naturally, were all at home. Luckily seller had one.

Ultimately, all my old vinyl collection of albums and 12 inch whoppers will slide into the eight cubes therein quite nicely - easily hold 50 or more per cube.

For now it's re-erected and currently hosting random tat in the living room.

Just taken The Volvo for a run. Ended up in a place called Creeksea Ferry, which despite being fairly close to Southend-on-Sea is remote AF:

photo_2019-06-08_18-05-59.thumb.jpg.3b873ce340d4d21632818678562955aa.jpg771445137_photo_2019-06-08_18-05-59(3).thumb.jpg.0a343b4934c7af1ad459224fddd50fee.jpgl11165308_photo_2019-06-08_18-05-59(2).thumb.jpg.f488723d2dbd8779583811fdaf42de57.jpg

It was nice to go for a drive with no destination but back home in one of my own cars after a week of driving a selection of 'character-building' M-B Atego trucks around London and the Home Counties :)

21 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Just a few miles up the road from me, been a couple of times, just used the link to the website, sounds like its getting busy up there with over 700 cars last year. Whereabouts are you travelling from?  I used to get the use of an X1-9 and a Jag xj12 and a Marina van where I used to work back in 84 until the passenger in the van pushed and pulled the steering wheel taking us into a small oak tree doing 60mph, luckily hit it dead centre pushing engine and gearbox back into the cabin and snapping my left femur and nearly out of my butt cheek!  The van headlights were wrapped round the tree nearly touching each other!  Sad to say it was a write off as was I nearly with my head trapped in the top of the windscreen between the roof and steering wheel after the old style seat belt snapped! Oh happy days! 

Capel?

I’m in Bagshot. I went last year and it was busy. The entry email this year is staggering arrival based on postcode. I’ll see what the weather forecast is like before committing to going. 

Morning. Have a carina e that was getting hot so figured after a bit of diagnostics it was the water pump. So am in the middle of a belt and pump change. Pump out and to be honest it seems perfect. So now i am wondering, what else could it have been. New rad in her. Hope there is not a boockage anywhere 

20190609_065808.jpg

2 hours ago, 00833827 said:

Morning. Have a carina e that was getting hot so figured after a bit of diagnostics it was the water pump. So am in the middle of a belt and pump change. Pump out and to be honest it seems perfect. So now i am wondering, what else could it have been. New rad in her. Hope there is not a boockage anywhere 

20190609_065808.jpg

Thermostat working ok?

I've been feeling a lot better today and I wanted to do the balljoints on the Toyota as it goes in for it's MoT tomorrow. Unfortunately the split pins holding the castellated nuts to the tapers joints are rusted in. Spent 45 minutes trying to drift them out so I gave up. They're the originals by the looks of it so done well to last 20 years. I have done some gardening instead.

Galaxy filling driver's footwell with water again. Big time. Sunroof has also joined in the fun and decided to leak. CBA with the latter (found some gen on the web reference the drainage channels) but did manage to finally clear the scuttle drain on the driver's side. Had to put the wipers in the up position and turn key off so I could my hand down the gap. Pulled out bits of soil, then inserted a long hard plastic fuel pipe down the hole, two or three times then tested it by using a watering can. That's running free now, though should stop being lazy and get some torx bits, remove the inner wing plastic shield and then clear the base of the drain out as it would appear crap from the road clogs it up.

Did the wet and dry vac have to work today? You betcha, M8...

Image may contain: outdoor

...that was all from the driver's footwell and there was more besides. Fingers crossed it's done the job, as (hopefully) has the tape I've put round sunroof seal.

Next up, half-heartedly fumigate the outside of the Transit. Probs last cleaned when Jesus was in swaddling clothes, looks much better now. Well, as better as a battered old Transit can be.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, house and outdoor

The puncture it had has been fixed, the exhaust leak silenced and some odd and split pipes fixed. It's still in limp mode though, that needs to be investigated as does the mystery/occasional battery drain.  So to answer the question I pondered in my empty head:, Yes, yes it doe s fit.

Image may contain: car, sky and outdoor

Didn't even try and drive it (should have for the LOLZ) loaded with the Galaxy, but at least there's an idea of what fits on the bed now.  

7 hours ago, 00833827 said:

20190609_065808.jpg

Is that remnants of rad seal in the old water pump? Could be causing a blockage if it's built up somewhere, might be worth a flush through with a hose.

3 hours ago, mrdelmonti said:

Is that remnants of rad seal in the old water pump? Could be causing a blockage if it's built up somewhere, might be worth a flush through with a hose.

No i think just gunky rusty coolant. But will flush thru. I put a new rad in it also.  All i can do now is put it all back together and see but i was hoping to be taking out a knackered pump and frayed belt to boot but both are in good shape

I have been growling about in the Chrysler, went down to West Wales to see family, the kick down acceleration is quite addictive and the noise sounds great, even in my nearly deaf state. I'm pleasantly surprised by the fuel consumption as it seems to be hovering around the 20mpg mark, with a mix of local and longer trips. Slightly better than I used to get from the petrol Land Rover. The only problem is I put it on a limited mileage policy as I didn't think I would use it much, already done over 1000 miles in it. Hopefully I will come to my senses before it bankrupts me.

today we have mostly been to Ripon Racecourse for a classic car show, in Rodney Mini.

we even braved Sutton Bank getting there. for those who know the A170, Sutton Bank is 1 in 4 for about a mile an half going up, and 1 in 10 for about 2 miles coming back down. Rodney covered both with ease. even if there was a queue behind us.... well, we have as much right as anyone to be on the road, and we do only have 37-ish horsepower (when new) available.

and we did see some AWSUM motorcars there. Kerry's favourite was the 1970 Chevelle. mine was the Alfa Montreal, and no, it seems that ZZ Top weren't there with the Ford Model A hot rod. shame....

DSCN8691.JPG

DSCN8691.JPG

DSCN8692.JPG

DSCN8693.JPG

DSCN8694.JPG

DSCN8695.JPG

DSCN8696.JPG

DSCN8697.JPG

DSCN8698.JPG

DSCN8699.JPG

DSCN8700.JPG

DSCN8701.JPG

DSCN8702.JPG

DSCN8703.JPG

DSCN8704.JPG

DSCN8705.JPG

DSCN8706.JPG

DSCN8707.JPG

DSCN8708.JPG

DSCN8709.JPG

DSCN8710.JPG

DSCN8711.JPG

DSCN8712.JPG

DSCN8713.JPG

DSCN8714.JPG

DSCN8715.JPG

DSCN8716.JPG

DSCN8717.JPG

DSCN8718.JPG

DSCN8719.JPG

DSCN8720.JPG

DSCN8721.JPG

DSCN8722.JPG

DSCN8723.JPG

DSCN8724.JPG

DSCN8725.JPG

DSCN8726.JPG

DSCN8727.JPG

DSCN8728.JPG

DSCN8729.JPG

DSCN8730.JPG

DSCN8731.JPG

DSCN8732.JPG

The Mazda has been leaking water. Leaning over the engine whilst blipping the throttle using the throttle cable resulted in being squirted in the face with coolant. So I decided to remove the offending pipe. 64B560DB-CD8A-4779-AA33-B657E7C95AE6.jpeg

Seemingly simple... surely... 

27545F35-0908-4E81-BADC-3E9AFC9508DC.jpeg

Nope it’s well buried and the bloody pinch clip is inaccessible with pliers... 

It took almost an hour, but the bastard is off!!  1ABDBFB5-7095-4E4E-9885-E1D470ED7BF3.jpeg

it was so brittle it snapped. Annoyingly I thought I had some spare pipe in the garage... but no I must have used it.... 

Trip to the motor factors it is tomorrow, and maybe I can use it!! 

Oh wait the MoT expires in 10 days... bollocks! 

On 6/9/2019 at 7:50 AM, 00833827 said:

20190609_065808.jpg

Checked the thermostat last night, it opened up fine.

To check for another blockage, if i was to put a hose in the pipe that feeds in to the top of the rad, leave the thermostat out, and remove the water pump and run the tap, I would expect the water to pour out there where the water pump should be, telling me the way is clear. How does that theory sound?

2 minutes ago, 00833827 said:

Checked the thermostat last night, it opened up fine.

To check for another blockage, if i was to put a hose in the pipe that feeds in to the top of the rad, leave the thermostat out, and remove the water pump and run the tap, I would expect the water to pour out there where the water pump should be, telling me the way is clear. How does that theory sound?

shove hose in both holes and stat housing