The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

the guy at the garage next to me has picked uo

a mint 70,000 k reg base 190e as it failed it’s mot on some welding and some other bits and bobs. He was asking me what I thought it was worth motd. You don’t see many low mileage ones so I recon £2500?

if anyone fancies a nice one let me know . The interior is like new!

Would really like to have done Shitefest this year but have commitments this weekend. However, this afternoon has been spent fitting new front springs to my daily Audi A4 - front RH had broken. I also fitted new top mounts, all genuine parts from TPS. 

Front suspension is now much quieter (previous to the broken spring there were a few noises on rough roads) and ride is nice, rear springs were replaced earlier this year. Next jobs are front discs and pads along with brake fluid change. 

Just a few miles up the road from me, been a couple of times, just used the link to the website, sounds like its getting busy up there with over 700 cars last year. Whereabouts are you travelling from?  I used to get the use of an X1-9 and a Jag xj12 and a Marina van where I used to work back in 84 until the passenger in the van pushed and pulled the steering wheel taking us into a small oak tree doing 60mph, luckily hit it dead centre pushing engine and gearbox back into the cabin and snapping my left femur and nearly out of my butt cheek!  The van headlights were wrapped round the tree nearly touching each other!  Sad to say it was a write off as was I nearly with my head trapped in the top of the windscreen between the roof and steering wheel after the old style seat belt snapped! Oh happy days! 

Thama was in for mot this morning, a clean pass, very happy about that. I got the car last May after it had been off the road 11 years, service done, new cambelt, changed tyres and that's all it needed for mot. I've used it pretty much every day for 12 months as work car. It's not missed a beat (touch wood). Not the quickest thing but OK work commute to Doncaster, and it's good on juice. 

Another veggie cold start this morning, and it was actually cold unlike yesterday's midday 14°! It was less funny this time, took even more cranking and it didn't sound at all happy with me. Fired along to the next village to get some pez to thin it out (but also for cleaning bits of HDI) then went for a little bit of a rag around the back roads to slosh it around in a vague effort to mix it properly. Once it's nice and hot it runs perfectly on veg, so it's good clean fun if the "carbon neutral" argument is true...

My brother's good lady has managed to rescue a number of Haynes and other workshop manuals from her local community facebook page, and will be in my possession next time I pop up to Gravesend or my family come here to visit. I have promised the lady giving them away they will go to good homes. All I know is they are "old" and suitable for most rammel on here.

Quick scoot over to Rimmer Brothers this morning to pick up many parcels of goodies, including for the 214 (some exhaust fittings, dirt cheap), 420 (a new mirror, dirt cheap) and 620 (proper floor mats dirt cheap and a wooden clock/display thing as I'm planning on putting a funkier old skool Rover stereo in that can do the CD changer thing - not cheap).

Yes, the 850. Realistically I can't afford to do any big damage to it, so I'm going to go back to a rough 50% mix after this half tank I think.

I ran a V70 TDI with the same engine on high percentages of veg, it really didn't like it. Keep an eye on the engine oil level, if you have to crank the starter for more than a few seconds veg oil can pollute the sump, I ended up with polluted engine oil in the V70, it was very sticky.

15 quid off Gumtree just now, local in Nottingham.

No bullshit, no pissing about. 

It's an Ikea Kallax https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/kallax-shelving-unit-black-brown-art-20275885/

Seller getting rid of all her old furniture for design/colour reasons.

ikeashizzle.thumb.jpg.000a6a3410986a09c610c0aedad11554.jpg

Good job it was an Ikea as it didn't quite fit in the 620 much to my embarrassment. Cue fumbling around in the pissing rain for an allen key. Which, naturally, were all at home. Luckily seller had one.

Ultimately, all my old vinyl collection of albums and 12 inch whoppers will slide into the eight cubes therein quite nicely - easily hold 50 or more per cube.

For now it's re-erected and currently hosting random tat in the living room.

Just taken The Volvo for a run. Ended up in a place called Creeksea Ferry, which despite being fairly close to Southend-on-Sea is remote AF:

photo_2019-06-08_18-05-59.thumb.jpg.3b873ce340d4d21632818678562955aa.jpg771445137_photo_2019-06-08_18-05-59(3).thumb.jpg.0a343b4934c7af1ad459224fddd50fee.jpgl11165308_photo_2019-06-08_18-05-59(2).thumb.jpg.f488723d2dbd8779583811fdaf42de57.jpg

It was nice to go for a drive with no destination but back home in one of my own cars after a week of driving a selection of 'character-building' M-B Atego trucks around London and the Home Counties :)

21 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Just a few miles up the road from me, been a couple of times, just used the link to the website, sounds like its getting busy up there with over 700 cars last year. Whereabouts are you travelling from?  I used to get the use of an X1-9 and a Jag xj12 and a Marina van where I used to work back in 84 until the passenger in the van pushed and pulled the steering wheel taking us into a small oak tree doing 60mph, luckily hit it dead centre pushing engine and gearbox back into the cabin and snapping my left femur and nearly out of my butt cheek!  The van headlights were wrapped round the tree nearly touching each other!  Sad to say it was a write off as was I nearly with my head trapped in the top of the windscreen between the roof and steering wheel after the old style seat belt snapped! Oh happy days! 

Capel?

I’m in Bagshot. I went last year and it was busy. The entry email this year is staggering arrival based on postcode. I’ll see what the weather forecast is like before committing to going.