The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I put the contents of this can into The Aero's A/C system today, as although the system was still working, it hadn't been regassed since just before I bought the car in 2016 and I was convinced it could have been a lot colder than it was: 

D8S9oYDWsAEyraJ.thumb.jpg.30cbb1a4aecd8cfe7149abd8cee1f103.jpg

Here's the result:

D8TH2mTXoAE_Eaw.thumb.jpg.c29f697809495cbe4524e304e8ae34b5.jpg

A pretty good result for £20 and ten minutes' work :)

12 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Amazon special? I've bought a couple since the Halfords ones went to 60 quid!

eBay.  Slightly cheaper than Amazon:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Aircon-Air-Con-Air-Conditioning-Top-Up-Recharge-Refill-Regas-DIY-Gas-Can/233216262626

I had the application hose/pressure gauge already, so all I had to do was pay for the can :)

2 hours ago, Shep Shepherd said:

I put the contents of this can into The Aero's A/C system today, as although the system was still working, it hadn't been regassed since just before I bought the car in 2016 and I was convinced it could have been a lot colder than it was: 

D8S9oYDWsAEyraJ.thumb.jpg.30cbb1a4aecd8cfe7149abd8cee1f103.jpg

Here's the result:

D8TH2mTXoAE_Eaw.thumb.jpg.c29f697809495cbe4524e304e8ae34b5.jpg

A pretty good result for £20 and ten minutes' work :)

Useful to know. The diesel Borat's A/C system hasn't been refilled/regassed since 2008.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:04 PM, shoddybanger said:

I have reflected on life and Trajet during past two hours and have perhaps drawn conclusions. So there is new news.

I ringed the person selling the 390 euro example. It has apparently only done 200k km, but has bad lacquer peel on bonnet and failed its latest MOT for a rusty front suspension arm. Should be reasonably ok otherwise.

A suspension arm swap sounds not too bad, but we shall see.. it might turn into a "no probs just swap the whole chassis m8", so I plan to go take a look at it in the upcoming days.

The above happened a few weeks ago. Well, I went to have a gander, and the seller had apparently "remembered wrong". Car in fact had a rotted out frame member instead of a rusty suspension arm, so yeah.. "swap the whole chassis m8".

...and judging by the amount of filler and bodgery on the sills and arches, "swap the whole body while you're at it m8" was not too far fetched either. To the credit of the seller, the lacquer peel on the bonnet was bad, just like he said it would be.

So that was a waste of time. I suddenly felt that our Trajet is in fact in very reasonable shape!

1 hour ago, lanciamatt said:

Regarding A/C systems, if your car has got the old R12 system and it doesn't work you can buy adapters that screw onto the R12 system charge points that allow R134a gas to be put in. I've done this on my thema about 2 years ago and it's still ice cold. 

Interesting to know, I have heard that all kinds of nuns and kittens will die if you ever mix gasses. 

1 hour ago, cort1977 said:

Interesting to know, I have heard that all kinds of nuns and kittens will die if you ever mix gasses. 

I believe it's the different oils that are used with the different gasses that can be the problem. 

the rest of the house looks ok but I had a drive round the area recently and a few streets away it gets a bit rough - broken domestic appliances dumped in poorly kept gardens types of places, I'll keep looking 

the guy at the garage next to me has picked uo

a mint 70,000 k reg base 190e as it failed it’s mot on some welding and some other bits and bobs. He was asking me what I thought it was worth motd. You don’t see many low mileage ones so I recon £2500?

if anyone fancies a nice one let me know . The interior is like new!