The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

Any allowances for being further North? Where I am you're talking sunset at around 9.45pm and sunrise just before 4.30am. 17hrs15min without food!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Lol, 'fraid not. I remember breaking fast up on Scotland a couple of years ago (in Motherwell of all places) it was pretty difficult I tells thee!

I'd not slept at all last night so it was the sleep rather than the fast getting to me. Had a couple of hours kip just now so all is well again. ?

After replacing the radiator on the 172, it still has a significant drinking problem as it's used around 1/2 a litre of coolant in 50 miles. No obvious leaks or signs of HGF and the latter was replaced 2 years ago. It seems an awful lot for just a leak though.

8 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

After replacing the radiator on the 172, it still has a significant drinking problem as it's used around 1/2 a litre of coolant in 50 miles. No obvious leaks or signs of HGF and the latter was replaced 2 years ago. It seems an awful lot for just a leak though.

Heater matrix ? Check your carpets !

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

So what would happen if you lived in, say, Reykjavik and Ramadan fell in mid-June?

There are a few choices. Save up holidays and take them during Ramadan. Leave Reykjavic and spend a month further south etc.... it did happen a few years ago when Ramadan fell in June.  Most just opted to take holidays then and/or leave for that month.

Check out this sweet LDV pick-up which I saw at an event in Birmingham last weekend. Best vehicle there, in my opinion:

D7a07iJXoAEquj0.thumb.jpg.fc950f9b6d95f4945f1262c5abd577b2.jpgD7WtrNJWkAEDmC0.thumb.jpg.bd4a60b21a3b9ee59894e38c65cba2b5.jpg

I chatted with the owner (the German Shepherd!) at some length and told him about about this place; he'd fit in straight away with such a quality motor, which has low miles, a very interesting history and is pretty much rot-free, having been Waxoyled when it was new. His plan was to take it on a pilgrimage to the remains of the former LDV factory at Washwood Heath at some point this week :)

D7mE6_aWkAAGOQT.jpg

It's been a strange day so far, I'm still pretty much deaf so blissful silence is quite nice (apart from when lying down I get a noise in my head like the dishwasher is going).

I've been out to do the weekly shop and think silent supermarkets could catch on.  I bumped into an old boss, who retired over 20 years ago and we did have a short conversation, refereed by his wife as neither of us could hear the other properly , sadly one of the things he passed on was that another former colleague has taken his own life. Our colleague had not been coping with his workload and took time off, unfortunately this meant even more work when he went back as nothing was done in his absence. When back he made a mistake, a very costly one and was sacked. He had very good grounds for a case for constructive dismissal and probably for the workload induced illness/mistake. Sadly he took a different way, RIP John, he was a decent bloke.

I have juggled cars around on my return home as the Chrysler has been blocking the Mini in. The reverse sensors are not much good when you are deaf, unfortunately I didn't see a plant pot, I am pleased to say the large dent it caused in the bumper has sprung out. My new key shell has arrived and I have put the rubber pad in the old one so now have a good spare key. 

Toby the Bastard won't leave me alone, whether he can sense that I'm not well, or just wants to be a bit more needy than usual I can't tell.

Probably should have put most of this in the grumpy thread

jumped in the Flying Zit    (  C1  )   as it had a full tank and just done a round trip to Yorkshire covering nearly 200 miles over the last 2 days .....

considering its just a 3 pot 1 litre it has a fair pair of legs on it and it used about 1/4 tank of go juice ....and was quite good around the hilly bits and bends ...

one  gripe .... the rear wiper , it dont have intermittent ..

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

jumped in the Flying Zit    (  C1  )   as it had a full tank and just done a round trip to Yorkshire covering nearly 200 miles over the last 2 days .....

considering its just a 3 pot 1 litre it has a fair pair of legs on it and it used about 1/4 tank of go juice ....and was quite good around the hilly bits and bends ...

one  gripe .... the rear wiper , it dont have intermittent ..

You are an electronics engineer.  There would have been a point in you life, when youd have wired up.an intermittent that worked on moisture content in the air. 

Or turned on when you clapped your hands. 

52 minutes ago, egg said:

One of six still active on UK roads. Think that may now be five, given the treatment he's given the thing already......

I acquired a "Tuning box" for the V70 D5 a while back and have been driving round for a few months with it plugged in.  It's one of those types that plugs into the fuel rail sensor. It didn't seem to make much difference and I basically forgot about it.

Recently I've been getting the odd limp mode issue which has been cured by knocking the ignition on and off and the engine has been feeling a bit lumpy. Anyway, I remembered the tuning box and removed it. The difference is like night and day! The engine is so much smoother, pulls better low down and doesn't slip into limp mode. 

TL:DR Tuning boxes are shite. 

I think this one was a resistor-in-a-box style gizmo, they're about £120 brand new but this one came with a car I broke for parts. They seem to go for £20-30 on ebay so if anyone want's their car to go slower and run like shit PM me.

2 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

And considerably easier to get in and out of from the look of things. (Has that chap been posted into the footwell using a fish slice?)

I did comment to my colleague that you wouldn’t want to go to do the weekly shop in it.  The central seat doesn’t seem to be easy to use. 

As to the micra, it’s a new arrival. The guy usually has a bmw coupe thing or Audi blinged  up. All polished and cleaned daily. I think he must deal them or have family doing something. 

Oh, the worst thing I saw today was over the road outside Surrey car craft on fairoaks site. A white Lamborghini countache with red leather interior, and the worst USA spec bumpers I’ve seen.  Horrendous.

But it was next to a Ferrari testarossa on the right , and a blue F40 on the left.  The whole lot looked like a scene from Miami vice.