The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

51 minutes ago, MikeR said:

the engine light came on today again on the way home ,,,,,, the usual cat is fubared code .....

which stays cleared for a few hundred miles when deleted .....  on Monday eve

would it pass the mot emission next Tues ????? 

or will that be a bit more on the bill

Would guess it depends how well (or not) the cat is working.

Get it good and hot for the test and fingers crossed it'll be ok.

5 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Its getting a ragging on the M6 soon !

Might be worth tipping a bottle of Cataclean in. I've heard it give good improvements on marginal cats though I've not used it "in anger" myself:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/summer-essentials/car-accessories/summer-essentials-deals/?542770410&cc4_1055

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cataclean-Catalytic-Converter-Cleaning-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=cataclean&qid=1558714726&s=gateway&sr=8-1

4 hours ago, mrbenn said:

I did read a lot of snake oil comments about that stuff so I gave it a swerve !!!

Collection caper today.

20190524-101532.jpg

got to the S90 this morning, flat battery and low tyres. Checked it over, one jerry can of fuel in, started with a jump from the 850, and off we went, it didn't need much.

20190524-112845.jpg

Petrol station shot, stuck another jerry can in it. Should be enough as it's only a cross Manchester journey. As it needed jumping it was filled from the jerry can with the engine running.

20190524-121745.jpg

To avoid a potential ANPR nightmare on the smart* motorway I came back through Manchester instead, making use of regular motorways where possible. This showed that the cruise control still works! Had to take a very strange route home, as it was imperative I kept the car in motion. I was informed the engine fan didn't work which I think is down to a sticking thermostat - the expansion tank would fill itself up to thee brim. I was relying on forcing air at the engine to keep it cool. Nonetheless I did get stuck once or twice and had to let the car cool off, no harm done.  Heater on full blast and windows down, of course.

20190524-131526.jpg

As the car ran it smoothed out and got better, no issues with the engine (only on 105k) but the gearbox takes a bit of convincing to find the gears once you select them. I think it needs an ATF change as there was a top up bottle in the boot of Ford-spec ATF-G - wrong spec, I think these just take Dex IID. 

20190524-143056.jpg

Once I got out on a quiet route out of Manchester (easy considering I navigate the city daily for work) the car was fine and got home just fine.

20190524-143118.jpg

Fleet shot.

20190524-165152.jpg

It cleans up well, I've vacuumed it out, started to treat the leather seats, and given it a first wash to get rid of the dust and moss. It needs doing again though as it was horribly dirty. 

20190524-145117.jpg

The paint should tidy up nicely with a cut and polish.

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

As the car ran it smoothed out and got better, no issues with the engine (only on 105k) but the gearbox takes a bit of convincing to find the gears once you select them. I think it needs an ATF change as there was a top up bottle in the boot of Ford-spec ATF-G - wrong spec, I think these just take Dex IID.

I think you are correct but do check. IIRC the gearboxes are very fussy about which ATF they use.

I can’t BELIEVE how fast values have turned of nice 960 wagons. Not so long ago they were £800 as nobody wanted such a big old slogger. Has the entire nation had the same epiphany and gone back to large displacement, large estates - or is there a highly Unvolvolike attrition rate? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233236357010

Just now, BorniteIdentity said:

I can’t BELIEVE how fast values have turned of nice 960 wagons. Not so long ago they were £800 as nobody wanted such a big old slogger. Has the entire nation had the same epiphany and gone back to large displacement, large estates - or is there a highly Unvolvolike attrition rate? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233236357010

Now removed. Bid up to £3.7 and the BIN was £5995

I will shortly be heading out to catch a Megabus to That London, 'cos I'm classy like that.  Actually the Megabus is quicker to Stratford than the train, due to bank holiday weekend engineering works, as well as being a shitload cheaper.  I will be picking up what will (all going well) be serving as my transport to Shitefest in a couple of weeks.  I'm slightly apprehensive at having to drive a slightly shonky old car in London - something I haven't done since I delivered the DAF to wor Kenneth a couple of years back - but fortunately the seller lives but yards from the North Circ, and then it is but a short hop to the M1 out to the M25, so my exposure to London drivers should be relatively minimal.

Then all I have to worry about is the look on the neighbours' faces when I pull up outside my house. :)

5 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Some line up is this. Glad to have the E23 back out and about.

The white Golf is the one which has inspired my engine build for the B plate. It is some car!

received_185926685651670.jpeg

Is the Stanza yours as well?  I don't think I recall that one.

So I'm currently enjoying the 3 series touring I nabbed off here. Treated it to some new centre caps for the alloys, new wing indicators as they were yellow, new wipers and bonnet badge, along with fresh number plates. The windscreen cowling is awful; broken up and split TADTS. I've ordered a genuine from BMW via eBay for not a great deal, so once that arrives the car will look a lot fresher. I've also ordered some Gtechniq C4 trim restorer, and will give the rest bumper trim and mirror/door handles a go, and it will look a treat then. The car really has been totally cared for so these little touches I think will set it apart.

Will pop a few pictures up in the coming days when they're sorted.

11 hours ago, 3VOM said:

I think you are correct but do check. IIRC the gearboxes are very fussy about which ATF they use.

You should be able to get away with Dexron III, which is supposed to be improved Dex II. I use it in the rebuilt CX gearbox, and previously in the 635CSi's 4-speed auto.

32 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Ooooh see you there! Look out for the yellow and white one! Be good to meet you!

I’m going up Friday morning unless work lets up and I can get away Thursday. The Thames tortoises camp will be me and a green Mahari ( el CID copy). We have a flag and Citroen bunting. And much, much, alcohol,