The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Yesterday I was under the Tipo investigating why the exhaust note had become uncharacteristically sporty.  Needless to say, the exhaust is several weeks out of its 2 year warranty and the flex-joint has failed.  A Nescafe Americano (decaff) tin, some aluminium foil tape and two jubilee clips are now on duty until a replacement arrives.  Fortunately, a new downpipe with integral flex-joint and fitting kit is only £45.  Whilst the front of the car was on ramps I was pleased to see that the floor pan looks solid enough, though I was not bold enough to poke it - it is Italian, after all.

26 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Better not be a Hyundai..

Tisn’t one o’those!

12 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I reckon the clue is the hot cross bun, the cross is a stand in for the Saltire, which means the SVM, therefore collection of a Volvo, in gold to match the chocolate wrapper

Top marks for telegraph crossword levels of lateral thinking, alas I will not be depleting Scotlands Volvo levels.

I’m now at:69DAD295-6D6D-4B37-8F72-3D954071E369.thumb.jpeg.e3562b9cd16dd81b176ea3405091f8f3.jpeg

facing backwards whilst travelling forwards or some suchlike.

I have just found out some one other than me has run over the hoover lead ....

I really should unplug the lead before putting it away !  ,

and why are they so difficult to replace ?????????  , bodged for now with some tape ....

4 hours ago, RayMK said:

I also wondered whether it might be.   There's an ebay seller who put one up at an optimistic price but had 0 bids.  Reducing it by £100 this week has had the same level of response.   

If they keep reducing it it might make it to a level which is sensible... 

4 hours ago, Semi-C said:

Tisn’t one o’those!

Top marks for telegraph crossword levels of lateral thinking, alas I will not be depleting Scotlands Volvo levels.

I’m now at:69DAD295-6D6D-4B37-8F72-3D954071E369.thumb.jpeg.e3562b9cd16dd81b176ea3405091f8f3.jpeg

facing backwards whilst travelling forwards or some suchlike.

Furyeoftae?

Am kicking aboot if you want to meet:)

On 5/14/2019 at 9:22 PM, richardmorris said:

No pics as it was pushed inside before I could get to my phone. But this Bugatti was outside my window this afternoon. The following lot is also the Mercedes Stirling Moss speedster I posted last week. £5 million may get both. I checked the number of the Bugatti against the mot checker but it said not recognised so maybe hdd42 isn’t a uk reg?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ve19/villa-erba/lots/r0037-1931-bugatti-type-50-roadster/773205

Don't think it's UK reg as hyphen-ated.

32 minutes ago, Bobthebeard said:

Thanks. Are you Uncle Fester? Or used to be? Just wondering how you are getting on with Elmo? 

Also, are you the current custodian of the red Honda Prelude? I loved that car ?

The wait* is over, I can reveal what I have spent today doing,

2A6E2471-6562-47C6-943E-39060E125A3E.thumb.jpeg.9dbb1660ed09a61c0d0f28da0f7e2409.jpeg

Fetching this fine slice Suffolkwards!

The scholar and gentleman that is SRi05 retrieved me from Glasgow Central station, aimed me at the M8 and the rest is history.

Traffic woes aside, the drive back was grand, super comfy, surprisingly frugal, well impressed.

I must sleep now

I've ordered new oil filters for both the BMW and the Rover 75, together with a gallon of oil for the BM - I have enough 10w40 semi-synth in the shed to do the Rover, although it'll be a mixture of Castrol, Mobil and Tesco.  I've also ordered a 36mm socket to get the top off the oil filter housing, as my socket set only goes up to 32.  I haven't yet decided which of the two I'm going to take to Shitefest - both have their merits and both are plenty comfortable enough for a 700-mile round trip, so it'll probably depend on what I feel like on the day - but both are overdue a service so thought it best to sort that out before the road trip.

I've also bought replacement aircon drive belts for both cars - the BMW's looks like it should be an easy enough job as long as I can get a good enough grip on the tensioner (clearance is a bit tight), but the Rover will be more of a PITA as the aircon belt runs behind the main aux belt so I'm going to have to take that off first.  I have no idea if either aircon system is going to be any good, but thought it worth a go for the sake of a few quid for new belts.  This weekend looks like it might be a write-off weather wise, but hopefully the bank holiday will be half decent.

The little Renner Clit I tried to roffle last summer has just shat itself at the MoT. Mostly service items (balljoints, a gaiter and bad rear earth) but a little welding.

Going to ask my mate what he's going to do with it so it may reappear on here soon as spears/reapers.

11 hours ago, Semi-C said:

The wait* is over, I can reveal what I have spent today doing,

2A6E2471-6562-47C6-943E-39060E125A3E.thumb.jpeg.9dbb1660ed09a61c0d0f28da0f7e2409.jpeg

Fetching this fine slice Suffolkwards!

The scholar and gentleman that is SRi05 retrieved me from Glasgow Central station, aimed me at the M8 and the rest is history.

Traffic woes aside, the drive back was grand, super comfy, surprisingly frugal, well impressed.

I must sleep now

Well done Sir, well done! This car has the full Broadsword seal of approval. It really looks glorious in that tidy condition and that lovely colour!

13 hours ago, SRi05 said:

Also, are you the current custodian of the red Honda Prelude? I loved that car ?

I am indeed. A lovely car! Just needs a few things sorting. The mystery rattle from the rear is from the silencer, the rattle from the front suspension is still unidentified but a great car. I love it also.

1 minute ago, Bobthebeard said:

I am indeed. A lovely car! Just needs a few things sorting. The mystery rattle from the rear is from the silencer, the rattle from the front suspension is still unidentified but a great car. I love it also.

I would never have guessed the rear clonk was the silencer, well investigated. It drove me crazy at times. Front knock a recent development ?  If the time comes to move it on let me know, I'm definitely going to have it back one day ?

Yep, the baffles or something have come adrift in the backbox and it rattles like mad. New one to be fitted! You can have it back any time really. Not actively selling it, but am running out of space on the drive! It still gets driven most days. Cracking car.

11 minutes ago, Bobthebeard said:

Yep, the baffles or something have come adrift in the backbox and it rattles like mad. New one to be fitted! You can have it back any time really. Not actively selling it, but am running out of space on the drive! 

I'm still enjoying the saab at the moment, and I've finally managed to get myself down to ONE car, I still have a hankering for it though. If I moved the Saab on I'd have it, I'm definetly* going to stick to having the one car, honest 

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Saab! Did loads of work on it. Dropped the sump and cleaned out the oil pickup, fitted the later breather system, new front wheel bearings, new driveshaft bearing, new spark plugs, cabin filter, air filter etc. Also cleaned, and re proofed the soft top with Nikwax. Full service with Saab synthetic oil...... The list goes on! Regret swapping it in some ways now. 

10 minutes ago, Bobthebeard said:

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Saab! Did loads of work on it. Dropped the sump and cleaned out the oil pickup, fitted the later breather system, new front wheel bearings, new driveshaft bearing, new spark plugs, cabin filter, air filter etc. Also cleaned, and re proofed the soft top with Nikwax. Full service with Saab synthetic oil...... The list goes on! Regret swapping it in some ways now. 

I can tell its been given a lot of attention, it drives great . Have really enjoyed blasting around in it during the good weather. I'm not in a mad rush to get of it but if you ever feel like swapping again I'd be up for it ?

24 minutes ago, Bobthebeard said:

Happy to swap back whenever really. Will even deliver (to Glasgow?) and drive the Saab home. Love the Prelude and it is in fantastic condition but miss Elmo! 

Happy to discuss it with you over PM's mate ?

So I sold the Prelude to buy the Jag, then I swapped the Jag for the Audi A8, then swapped the Audi for the BMW 318 coupe, Then swapped the BMW for the Saab. Now it looks like the Saab will be swapped for the Prelude, and my Shite circle is complete ? all these vehicles remain in the fold pleasingly 

2 hours ago, SRi05 said:

So I sold the Prelude to buy the Jag, then I swapped the Jag for the Audi A8, then swapped the Audi for the BMW 318 coupe, Then swapped the BMW for the Saab. Now it looks like the Saab will be swapped for the Prelude, and my Shite circle is complete ? all these vehicles remain in the fold pleasingly 

You must get dizzy!