The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 5/6/2019 at 9:42 PM, dollywobbler said:

I'm meant to be driving it to Essex AND Sussex. I'm starting to think that might be a stupid idea. 

Probably, loads of oldies round here would probably nick it off you to replace their pavement go-carts. Used to see an old dear regularly using hers to shop at local supermarket.

4 hours ago, 320touring said:

Bet it wasn't "stripping an Oxford in a Paddock"

More stripping a paddock in the shires.

A friend asked me to help get his tractor going after a 2 year layup.  A little Yanmar thing with Chinese text on the warning labels etc making every lever an adventure as neither of us know much about tractors.  Fortunately it fired straight up with a fresh battery and I was soon set to task shifting firewood as the trailer was still attached and he's not quite got the measure of reversing it.  Once we'd done that we dragged the topper out from under a cat piss tarp and set to changing the blades for the fresh set supplied when he bought it secondhand about 3 years ago.

The nuts were very large and very tight so he borrowed my car to nip up the next farm and borrow a bigger socket along with 3/4 ratchet and scaff bar while I pressure washed the lichen off the tractor.  On his return we were glad of the scaf bar and swapped over the blades without too much fuss.  A threaded shaft underneath caused some debate but as neither of us could remember removing anything we decided to chance it.  I fired up the tractor and PTO while he retired to a safe distance and I was off mowing the meadow.  It all went fairly well apart from finding a 13" tyre in the long grass so once that was hauled out from underneath he buzzed off to return the tools.  I did about 7 laps before the machine stopped mowing.  The PTO was still spinning so I tried adjusting the deck but still no cutting.  Unfortunately there should have been a nut on that shaft,the blades had fallen off.  No harm done, a replacement nut and washer was ordered on my return to town so I can finish it next week.

I’ve been looking at Mazda MX-5s more and more recently. Did my usual and also had a look at a scrapped one at U-Pullit to see how bad they get killed to death. Epic chassis front leg rot seems to be a thing. Unfortunately such things don’t put me off. They are just perfectly proportioned. A test drive of the Snagglepuss MX-5 sparkles a gradual rise in wanting to try one.

I’m thinking after the next couple of cars have sold, I might be consider buying one.

MX5s are ace! So much fun to drive! 

However, mine does seem to have decided that running very hot is it’s new thing. 

Brief stop in traffic half a mile from home resulted in temp rise on the gauge. At home I could hear fizzing and see steam.,, no idea where the water is coming from, but it’s not a perished hose on the rad which was my first thought. Seems to be nearer the (nearly new) water pump... grrr. 

Time to investigate tomorrow if the rain holds off... 

23 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

I’ve been looking at Mazda MX-5s more and more recently. Did my usual and also had a look at a scrapped one at U-Pullit to see how bad they get killed to death. Epic chassis front leg rot seems to be a thing. Unfortunately such things don’t put me off. They are just perfectly proportioned. A test drive of the Snagglepuss MX-5 sparkles a gradual rise in wanting to try one.

I’m thinking after the next couple of cars have sold, I might be consider buying one.

Do it do it do it. They're so damn cheap now they'll never be this price in 10 years. Get one with a decent amount of test and you can throw it away if it is rotten at test time. 

The only thing better than a cheap MX5 is a cheap Boxster! (When the Boxster is working)

6 minutes ago, brownnova said:

However, mine does seem to have decided that running very hot is it’s new thing. 

Brief stop in traffic half a mile from home resulted in temp rise on the gauge. At home I could hear fizzing and see steam.,, no idea where the water is coming from, but it’s not a perished hose on the rad which was my first thought. Seems to be nearer the (nearly new) water pump... grrr. 

Yeah it’s that pure driving experience I’m looking for. I’ve been reading up on them obviously and somewhere it said that water pumps can indeed be a problem. On an unrelated note it seems the engines are non-interference, which is nice.

13 hours ago, stuboy said:

Finally got a replacement numberplate, nice and easy straight swapping over, unless your me with lets play see how many times i can drop the dam silver grey screws on a camouflaged car park floor.... 

20190510_100610.jpg

20190510_100612.jpg

Dam these are bright

20190510_213245.jpg

3 hours ago, RobT said:

Likewise if there's any Renault Fuegos/phase 1 25 V6s passing through.

Certainly will, but I’m the only one with such taste round here. I think this and recent classics may have been a COYS auction consignment as a couple of be-signed peel about today.

8 hours ago, brownnova said:

Our one ran very hot until.i fitted a new radiator.  Also the fan switch failed. 

I hate modern journalism! Vintage Jag. Later says 1986 Jag. Vintage is a defined term for pre 1930. Classic would have been fine.

I dislike Farage but read what he says. I would not be surprised if the jag owner was somewhat animated and abusive. Farage was a well known face, but just a passenger. The driver did all the right things, and farage cleared off to stop it escalating. Seems fair enough to me.

4 hours ago, New POD said:

Our one ran very hot until.i fitted a new radiator.  Also the fan switch failed. 

Fan temp sender appears to have failed, but it’s losing coolant too. It was hissing at me yesterday when I stopped! I’ll look this morning and I’ll guarantee the coolant will be low. It seems to last about 4 or 5 drives to work then it’s low again. 

I'm really stumped as regards selling my white Xantia. Zero interest, and I mean zero. I've tried advertising everywhere to no avail. It clearly won't roffle either. It's a decent frugal, dependable car. That I can say with certainty, but two months on the market with zero interest is a worry. Admittedly I had to pull it off an action as it was not going to make much more than scrap value, but it was worth a go. I've never struggled to sell a car like this. I've sold rough cars for more money and quite quickly, but this just the Xantia just seems cursed. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Broadsword said:

I'm really stumped as regards selling my white Xantia. Zero interest, and I mean zero. I've tried advertising everywhere to no avail. It clearly won't roffle either. It's a decent frugal, dependable car. That I can say with certainty, but two months on the market with zero interest is a worry. Admittedly I had to pull it off an action as it was not going to make much more than scrap value, but it was worth a go. I've never struggled to sell a car like this. I've sold rough cars for more money and quite quickly, but this just the Xantia just seems cursed. Any suggestions?

It's Xantias. They aren't really worth much, unless you find someone who really does want it. 

I paid £700 for my one! And it has rust.