The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Where is everyone? Is it quiet here because people can't login or aren't getting notifications from Tapatalk? 

It's way quieter here than the last forum explosion.

I'm here but still trying to catch up on what I've missed. And trying to work out how it works now, as my befuddled remaining brain cells find change hard to cope with. Also  browsing ebay/car and classic/Facebook marketplace and Gumtree as I think I need to buy another car.

I could see the pics..... 

What I didn't see was any of those interesting Japs as I passed Towcester round chucking out time today.  I did, however, get continually overtaken on the A43/A34 by various fart-cannoned Imprezas, MX5s and the like, many with comical camber.      

5 minutes ago, mercrocker said:

I could see the pics..... 

What I didn't see was any of those interesting Japs as I passed Towcester round chucking out time today.  I did, however, get continually overtaken on the A43/A34 by various fart-cannoned Imprezas, MX5s and the like, many with comical camber.      

Yeah, it's that sort of a show. My aim with the Retro Japanese stand has always been to show that there's plenty more to Japanese motors. 

Not that I'm completely immune to a bit of silliness...

59360077_10157324814533200_9373319060374

That's a link to a Facebook image, rather than Twitter, so possibly more visible (until it breaks).

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Where is everyone? Is it quiet here because people can't login or aren't getting notifications from Tapatalk? 

I find it works fine but I have lost interest in the forum over the past few months, mainly due to the recent events but also because recently I just want to keep to myself.

A lot of members have also joined another forum but on browsing it over the course of a month or so I have decided that it doesn't suit me.

I'd rather be working on and driving my cars or doing something else instead.

I also have a LOT of other things on my plate right now.

So perhaps then, it's just one of of those lulls in the traffic.

Been having a look round my newly-purchased BMW today.  One thing which surprised me is that the compressor for the rear suspension kicks in as soon as you unlock the car - it doesn't wait for the engine to be fired up.  Could be an issue if the battery is a bit borderline (although the one on the car seems to be in rude health).

It needs various jobs doing, the most urgent of which is the screen wash doesn't work - it was rather feeble yesterday on the drive home, and when I opened the bonnet to investigate I found a crack in the (plastic) pipe up from the pump, which disintegrated completely as soon as I touched it.  So I've pulled it off at the pump end as well, and tomorrow I'll pick up a reel of washer pipe and re-plumb it completely.  Next job after that is to sort the tailgate, which is extremely temperamental about opening.  The window opens fine so the boot is usable, but not a lot of good for loading bulky stuff (although I have discovered that I can post my folding bicycle through the gap).  I think I'm going to have to try and get the tailgate trim off and then find a way of operating the catch manually - probably less of a faff than trying to sort out the problem with the electric release, especially on a car as overly-electroniced as an E39.

After that the interior will need a bloody good clean, and I might also give it an oil and filter change as not sure when it was last done (filters are less than a tenner and I've still got loads of oil in the shed).  Not decided whether I'm going to bother with tidying up the bodywork or not (it has a few rust scabs and a ding in the tailgate) - depends how much I decide I like it I suppose.  I will sort out the towbar though - it has one fitted but it doesn't have a tow ball or an electrical socket, although the wiring is there.  I was about to go and buy a ball when I remembered that I have an old towbar assembly in the back of the shed that I removed from an Espace I owned years ago, and when I checked it still had its ball.  Getting it off was fun* though, as there was a 3" aluminium spacer 'twixt back plate and tow ball, through which the mild steel bolts had been bolted for a great many years now, and had corroded quite comprehensively in place.  I ended up standing on the towbar assembly and using a 2' breaker bar to heave the bolts back and forth until the alloy corrosion let go.  Would probably have been easier just to go out and buy a new one, but I'm tight like that.

Had a look at the 75's exhaust as well, and it looks eminently Gun Gummable - the hole is on the top of the pipe just before it goes into the rear silencer.  I can actually get to it through the wheelarch without sticking the car up on ramps.  So I'll sort that tomorrow, and then it'll just be the drop link and it'll be ready for a retest. 

3 hours ago, SiC said:

It’s still a lot busier here than it is over there... 

But it Is definitely slightly quieter since we turned it off and on again. 

Various things to report on the older members of my fleet:

Laurel took part in the Ipswich-Felixstowe Run yesterday. Took a rural journey there and back which was equally enjoyable.

1988 Sunny has a new MoT, after an initial failure on front brake imbalance. Needed a couple of new hoses. Must get a set of new tyres to replace the ancient Vredesteins, and attempt a better repainting job on the wheels before FOTU. Sadly there's already evidence of some of rot still doing its thing behind last year's bodywork repairs, inevitable without it being properly cut out and replaced I suppose.

Old Sunny dropped into garage for an MoT-type checkover, even though it's now exempt. I know it has significant bodywork issues, but it's so charming to drive hopefully I can keep it going for as long as possible.

Camry on SORN after its last MoT expired. Not so much need for it now generally better weather is here and I can use the others more often, and I could do without spending any more money at present.

IMG_5414.thumb.JPG.67a338f7afc439b45caf80f4cec89819.JPG

Also, not mine but there is news on this thing. It's no longer here, MrBo11ox luckily found a really sound guy down South who bought it for parts for his RX-4 saloon restoration. It seemed that DVLA weren't going to play ball with reversing the Certificate of Destruction so this was the best possible outcome.

11 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

IMG_5414.thumb.JPG.67a338f7afc439b45caf80f4cec89819.JPG

Also, not mine but there is news on this thing. It's no longer here, MrBo11ox luckily found a really sound guy down South who bought it for parts for his RX-4 saloon restoration. It seemed that DVLA weren't going to play ball with reversing the Certificate of Destruction so this was the best possible outcome.

Funny that DVLA were willing to play ball with that scrappage scheme Standard Ten after Classic Car Weekly / Practical Classics got hold of the story.

Maybe the Mazda needs a similar hue-and-cry.

12 minutes ago, 64A60 said:

I did the Ipswich-Felixstowe run for the first time yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite failing to see all of the vehicles on display.

Good to know there was someone else from AS taking part, as well myself and Bornite. It is a challenging one to get around and see everything, I never get to the park early enough and the prom is always rammed. Walking on the beach gives a good view though. I think it's worth it though, it means different people get to see these old things not just the usual showgoers, and there's always some interesting local car content.

IMG_5751.thumb.JPG.b50a572f078583a112be07744f326896.JPG

This Sunbeam Rapier is a good case in point, one of my favourites of the day. Sold new in Ipswich by Gosling's from their long-gone garage on London Road.

Had a run out in the Invacar this evening. Back to transmission troubles. Very squealy, despite me adjusting the tension (adding more) recently. That's made no difference whatsoever. Also quite 'chuggy' in deceleration. Not happy. All a bit annoying as in a week's time, I'm meant to be driving it to Essex AND Sussex. I'm starting to think that might be a stupid idea. 

I also realise that I own a car with a tow bar...

I am one sad mofo. It would have had plastic trims originally from the factory.Last car sold in the uk with drum brakes all round,and last with points and an su carb. If you want to move it in at some point,let me know,I'm at that point where I think I'm ready for another one,after 5 years I think it's time to get back on the three wheeled horse.

Well I have taken the C15 to the garage and their diagnosis is a bearing in the gearbox. I have been told not to drive it far. I'm now in the quandary what to do about it, it's worth bugger all so logic tells me not to spend a lot on it; however anything I buy to replace it will be an unknown quantity. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere far until the weekend and can always hire something for that, so I've got some time to have a think what to do.

It did get reversed into yesterday when it was parked, apart from a cracked indicator lens it survived.

19 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Well I have taken the C15 to the garage and their diagnosis is a bearing in the gearbox. I have been told not to drive it far. I'm now in the quandary what to do about it, it's worth bugger all so logic tells me not to spend a lot on it; however anything I buy to replace it will be an unknown quantity. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere far until the weekend and can always hire something for that, so I've got some time to have a think what to do.

It did get reversed into yesterday when it was parked, apart from a cracked indicator lens it survived.

How much is a 2nd hand gearbox? Could be done with a helper in a few hours couldn't it?