The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I've just signed up for a unit! Should be space for eight cars, or certainly four of my tiddlers and all of my junk. Quite exciting! £200+vat a month.

So, in other words, the cars now have a future and somewhere to live when I move out in October. I don't. I just have a one-way ticket to New Zealand and no plans...

No chance I can borrow TWC while your abroad? :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, barmatt said:

I've seen that van round here, not surprising really as I guess it's from Swaffham.

it was, it's now residing in Scotland. New Owner got it transported up here funnily enough. Stickers are coming off as I type this!

Just sold another bx so I'm down to just to the two keepers, the XM estate and bx tgd, plus the Merc as as a daily driver. I'm kind of relieved really, it's great having a fleet of old cars but also a burden. Going to get the remaining bx serviced as it's mot is due soon and then finish the XM. I'll now not have to spend 30 minutes moving cars around whenever I want to work on them. I'm going to try hard not to buy any more cars and just keep to the three. Looking forward to my trip to France next month in the bx to tour Normandy and the ww2 museums and cemeteries.

I went for a walk the other night. Well Autoshite was down and I wasn’t sure what else to do. Imagine my joy when my walk was brightened up by this beauty!! 

EE33833E-3C1D-494E-8D39-0FCFDFE2BC10.thumb.jpeg.0a87ef27d1e480207caee395ff559169.jpeg

As I marvelled at it, I had a nagging feeling that I recognised the car... 

Once home I remembered why. It’s Miss July in the Autoshite calendar! 

6FBA9443-7CCC-4E6D-9C9F-BC06C39223A2.thumb.jpeg.0b19b9ba6f00d808cf688730f533d93c.jpeg

So it turns out the chap (a serial Maestro licker) bought it recently, and so this particular calendar star now lives round the corner from me! 

Whose was it when it was on here? 

Whilst AS was being upgraded my local low end car dealer/ collect unwanted cars for cash bloke was parked outside my window on 2 consecutive days en route to reduce the Clio count in west Devon by 2. A few bits missing but, typically for these,  no rust.

5453A9B9-A7C1-4E92-994F-39049974B1B0.jpeg

3097277E-14AF-44DC-BC56-1632C8752FF2.jpeg

Two of my premium bonds came up this month .  I will try not to let the £50 change my lifestyle. But in celebration I have just ordered two new tyres for the Mercedes. £55 each fitted, from tyresonthedrive for Goodyear efficientgrip performance. They should be done on Saturday. Bad news is the old pair on the rear only did two ish  years and 16,000 miles!

7 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Now driving this;

20190501_145024.thumb.jpg.45506f4a56348c9f9517000653048a7b.jpg

Love it, really nice car despite being a bit leggy and generally a bit worn but its perfect for what I need it for.  Gonna see if I can make a deal on this....

Further to this.... On my way home the passenger side wiper stopped working. Once dry as it had been raining, I had a quick look under the scuttle I noticed a linkage had popped off. I popped the linkage back on and secured a cable tie just to ensure it doesn't pop off again easily. Full wipers now working again.

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

I went for a walk the other night. Well Autoshite was down and I wasn’t sure what else to do. Imagine my joy when my walk was brightened up by this beauty!! 

As I marvelled at it, I had a nagging feeling that I recognised the car... 

Once home I remembered why. It’s Miss July in the Autoshite calendar! 

So it turns out the chap (a serial Maestro licker) bought it recently, and so this particular calendar star now lives round the corner from me! 

Whose was it when it was on here? 

It was on Facebook the other day with its current owner. 

Screenshot_20190502_204711_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Away in Bogota currently. I’m surprised by the amount of Chinese stuff here and the fact that most trucks belch out smoke, but most of that is poor fuel quality and high altitude (2600 metres). Renault have an assembly plant here and are extremely popular, Renault Duster and Sandero are built locally. Lots of old 12s, 9s and 11s around. 

Got a couple of pics, apologies for poor quality. Kerbside motors and a suitably dire R12. 

DB73D9E1-4173-4532-8980-A759BC63F18E.thumb.jpeg.59296027a30d23a9c28508a424b85451.jpeg

276A3029-B2C9-4EB4-8A2F-EC25C22DCD13.thumb.jpeg.db62859320e0ddbc36272aa6d4ff2b3a.jpeg

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Two of my premium bonds came up this month .  I will try not to let the £50 change my lifestyle. ...

At least you didn't have to wait 27 years for a first win of 25 quid.

CX's very large capacity battery is here, so will get it fitted Saturday, chuck out the incorrect one that the gearbox workshop put in, and get the car down to the local jet wash. May and June have loads of promising CX trips.

6 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

At least you didn't have to wait 27 years for a first win of 25 quid.

CX's very large capacity battery is here, so will get it fitted Saturday, chuck out the incorrect one that the gearbox workshop put in, and get the car down to the local jet wash. May and June have loads of promising CX trips.

I have had £2 since 1973  and £5 from 1982 that have never won. My dad has some from the very first year (1957?) that haven’t won.

13 hours ago, Broadsword said:

I’ve never seen one of those Clios with noticeable rot. What’s the deal apart from plastic front wings?

I think the French are just good at designing out rust traps.  My 2003 Espace was virtually pristine underneath.  By comparison most of the fasteners on the 2009 Touran I replaced it with are seized with rust.  And my wife’s 2010 Qashqai is covered in surface rust underneath, although bolts still come undone easily.

16 hours ago, Broadsword said:

I’ve never seen one of those Clios with noticeable rot. What’s the deal apart from plastic front wings?

The 172s can rot badly along the sills due to the plastic covers fitted. They also rot around the fuel filler cap and rear arches. Compared to my Corsa though, they are a lot better designed in that respect.