The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

For the first time I think ever I've been able to get out in my old car and drive it on Drive It Day because neither the car nor myself were broken.  This is quite an achievement. I wasn't driving far, just to the unit to do the last bit of welding (hah, yeah... okay) on the BX and do the pre-MoT checks which has highlighted that the horn has now gone on strike.

Took the Acclaim for a Drive It Day spin in the country.

post-19482-0-64500200-1556467385_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-40069500-1556467474_thumb.jpg

Only saw an MG Midget and a Mini Cooper while on my travels. Neither of which acknowledged my existence.

There was a car show on at Summer Lee and the TSSC was doing a road run to Moffat but I don't really see the point in going to a stationary show on "drive it" day and Moffat is too far for me to really afford the petrol...

Nissan figaro? They’re all 1993 on import I think, so would have been a private plate.

We had loads of triumphs at hollycombe too- one oddball came in a 2cv but parked with the triumphs as he said he wasn’t in the 2cv club and was only using it as his stag was in for repair.

We did a fast trip to Pevensey Castle , around the houses journey ,burning up as much petrol as we could  to make people aware of historic cars ... I saw a navy  mk2 Polo breadvan parked up on a layby and he saw me and we acknowledged each other .. Many MX5s ,but there's always lots of those anyway. Coming home we saw a red drophead E type and a Ford  A ? hotrod . Oh and saw a gold Granny or Mk3 Cortina estate in Lewis Tunnel.

From the castle wall..

post-17940-0-01308300-1556472676_thumb.jpg

post-17940-0-92515200-1556472735_thumb.jpg

we've been to Northallerton today for drive it day.

we were expecting a run up into the Dales, but instead found a car show on the High Street.

ok, so lets see what there is.....

a 1915 Tin Lizzy, originally from Oaklahoma, and that is its original paint.

post-18270-0-17019600-1556478436_thumb.jpg

a Humber Septic, i love these, isn' theret a member on here whos got one?

post-18270-0-29988300-1556478402_thumb.jpg

these electric veheicles will never catch on. actually i remember Dr Binns at home having one of these, new! i don't remember ever seeing him out on the road in it mind.....

post-18270-0-38042200-1556478499_thumb.jpg

70 Dodge charger, didn't see a fastback Mustang anywhere near though.

post-18270-0-71394800-1556478595_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-28294900-1556478629_thumb.jpg

this a Dodge Coronet?

post-18270-0-63558000-1556478653_thumb.jpg

and an Austin 16, ugly bloody thing.

post-18270-0-48702300-1556478679_thumb.jpg

pre-farina Morris Oxford, though i thought it was Cowley when i first saw it

post-18270-0-80884700-1556478707_thumb.jpg

and Rodney Mini with Teddy having a good look where they are

post-18270-0-32389700-1556478751_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-69053200-1556478793_thumb.jpg

post-18270-0-24039400-1556478834_thumb.jpg

and the pictures are all on the piss again cos they were taken on my phone, cos the camera needs its batteries charging up D'OH!!

we took the long road home by going up into the hills to Killdale and Commondale, which is all steep climbs and tight turns. and Rodney Mini managed them all without problems though it seems that he still doesn't care for left turns, the car sometimes stutters when, and only when turning left. we haved found that this can be countered by keeping the revs up, of possible when going around a left hand bend. and i have no idea why the car does this!

The sun was out, and sadly it’s the last day the other half is here before she jet’s back off to the US of A, so went for a drive to a few local sights. Stone circles in the country and a old Victorian garden in Aberdeen. Roof down for most of it of course!

post-19988-0-45482900-1556480587_thumb.jpeg

Never realised untill I got home that today was ‘drive it day’, so saw a fair amount of good stuff on the roads too, this Capri 3.0 being the only one I got a photo of.

Also forgot it was Drive It day....Although I did perform a spring ritual involving a 30 year old vehicle.   Last night was my first of the season in my T25, outside a well-known rocking club on the Hants/Surrey borders.   Drove down to Brighton this morning from the club for the jukebox fair and within a few miles I remembered the reason why there was so much interesting chod on the roads....  

Vehicles that particularly impressed me were a late Fulvia coupe, a lovely 3 Litre Alvis driven by a no-messing-around type older bird, a nice SP250 Daimler, late DS (which may have been at Hollycombe judging by the posts above), a 68 Camaro, a gorgeous Lincoln Town Coupe of about 1975 vintage and a nice looking Zephyr 4 which we followed into the juke box fair.  

I went out in my Vitesse and sat in a field, ok it was Bicester Scramble and there were hundreds of cars of all types most non shite so I won't bore you with the standard set, but three highlights for me. 6 yes six Gardon Keebles, a real Lancia Stratos, and the car I most wanted to drive home the Alfa GTV.

post-4787-0-26457400-1556482035_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-78586400-1556482045_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-11379600-1556482059_thumb.jpg

I did take the 944 for a rag about, not because it was drive it day just because the battery goes flat if you leave it too long and I'd not driven it for a bit.

post-3133-0-52700300-1556481730_thumb.jpg

Need to balance the carbs on the GT6. It's not misfiring on idle but sounds like shit when you try revving it. Not fecking about with it as if I try i might make it worse.

Will update the ebay advert.

we took the long road home by going up into the hills to Killdale and Commondale, which is all steep climbs and tight turns. and Rodney Mini managed them all without problems though it seems that he still doesn't care for left turns, the car sometimes stutters when, and only when turning left. we haved found that this can be countered by keeping the revs up, of possible when going around a left hand bend. and i have no idea why the car does this!

Sounds like the carb float level needs sorting out.  There's no float height adjustment on a car the age of Rodney, but I would definitely replace the float and needle valve, just to be sure.  The parts are cheap. 

Done relatively little in the way of fettling this weekend as I've been busy with other stuff and the weather was shite yesterday.  I did finally get round to getting to my local tyre place though to get the part worns fitted that I've had sat around for ages, so the Carina now has a lovely* pair of nearly new Nankangs on the front, and the Rover 75 has a decent Bridgestone Potenza on the nearside front to replace the bald tyre that was on that wheel,  I've also booked the Toyota in for a test next weekend - it can then (assuming it passes) be pressed into daily duties for a bit while I sort the 75, which is definitely going to need front suspension and rear brake work for its test, plus whatever else the tester finds.

The fuel gauge on the Renault 6 appears to be working again after I buggered about with it cleaning up connections etc.  I celebrated by sticking some pez in, completely forgetting about the leaking tank, which was stupid because I'd just been to the motor factors to buy a tin of leak fix stuff.  Which I obviously can't now use while the tank is dripping, so I'm going to have to go for a drive tomorrow evening just to empty the tank out.  I also bought a bottle of that Lucas power steering stop leak stuff, which I've heard good things about, and tipped it into the PAS reservoir on the Rover of Doom - time will tell if it's done its job or not...

Drive It Day was as disappointing as it usually is - I did my bit, going out in both the Y10 and the R6 (the latter admittedly just to Tesco and back), but the only other classic I saw on the road today was a WW2 American Chrysler staff car (whether genuine or replica I have no idea) - there was literally nowt else.  It was quite a nice day too, at least in the afternoon.  Most unsatisfying.

Was planning to one of two drive it day events, made neither since both involved the 2CV which is awaiting a new kingpin after its “dangerous” fail.

So drove the Saab to Llandudno. Saw various classics, mainly Rileys.

Officially 'retired', as of tomorrow.

17.5 years will be over with, been a mixture of immense fun and a pain in the arse, mostly the former. Going to be a very odd day.

Officially 'retired', as of tomorrow.

17.5 years will be over with, been a mixture of immense fun and a pain in the arse, mostly the former. Going to be a very odd day.

.... I rapped it 2yr ago. Just as nominal '8 day rota' emerged.

I sat in the van, 10:30 on New Years morning outside ASDA on a printer fault call, and texted "fin".

.... Should have done it years ago (well, you can't really.. lol)

Cheers 2U m8

Drive it day was marked with the XJR up to the coast with current squeeze……… She was mightily impressed and it ran like a swiss watch. Downer was a massive pothole/ridge in the road that had a huge bang from the car….. Subsequent knocking on bumps means I'm under it tonight/later this week to find out what is now shagged………rear suspension overhaul looming - bumhats.

Plus side was Knokke sea front - Belgian millionaires play area - and a few of the older gents had a chat about the XJR and were very complimentary…… before getting into their (the 4 I saw) McLaren P1, Ferrari, Maserati and modern Jag SUV thing…….. I'd forgotten just how many serious supercars roll around up there. I need to keep my camera out next time.