The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

323 MOT update, informal discussion that the bloody CV boot has come free again (been fixed twice already!), he's going to have another go (3rd chap to look at that).

Also things may need to 'happen' to the headlight adjustment switch (last MOT was on pre 20th May rules)...

Priced up a new alternator at the local motorfactor.  We were both rather surprised when it brought back one result at £100, especially since the chap that runs the shop remembers when these were very cheap and easy to get hold of.  Typically, when he tested the alternator it was behaving normally, and then when I left to do my other errands it was back to wandering charge nonsense again.  Trouble is, I'm a being really cautious with cash at the moment and wanting to avoid a big spend like that, and at the same time I'm very aware this is something that needs replacing sooner rather than later.

Urgh.  Cars.

Priced up a new alternator at the local motorfactor.  We were both rather surprised when it brought back one result at £100, especially since the chap that runs the shop remembers when these were very cheap and easy to get hold of.  Typically, when he tested the alternator it was behaving normally, and then when I left to do my other errands it was back to wandering charge nonsense again.  Trouble is, I'm a being really cautious with cash at the moment and wanting to avoid a big spend like that, and at the same time I'm very aware this is something that needs replacing sooner rather than later.

Urgh.  Cars.

Is it a Lucas LRA/ACR unit? If so would this be more affordable to your wallet?

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1076

Everythings fukin fucked, princess is running awful and dumping fuel from the carb, these SU HIF carbs are nothing but trouble so ordered new design floats that will hopefully solve the problem. Replaced all the 3 year old flexible pipes and hopefully all will be well when it goes back together.

Also got a Chrysler 383 engine with warped inlet manifold so thought I would upgrade from cast to ally but no Edelbrock stock in UK so will now have to try the states but with my supplier telling me he had them on backorder for months im not holding out much hope so thats another car in bits.

I completed 400 trouble-free miles in the Mercedes this weekend, water and oil as full as when I left and I just put ( quite a lot) of petrol in it. I’ve had it seven years now and it turned over to 121,000miles on the way up to north wales.

I had planned to swap it with the fiat this weekend for a couple of months, but my welder can’t fit the merc in until the end of May for a tickle with the sparkly stick. So the fiat remains in Wrexham until June when I can swap it with the 2cv after the citroencarclub rally in Coventry.

Dippy:  float needle valve was the issue on mine for that, more than once. Check the tip for wear/deformity before condeming the whole carb.  That said, I feel your pain, because they're an arse to take on and off.

Dozey:  Looks similar, I'll have to double check against what's on the car when I get chance.  Certainly a good bit more sensible on the price.

Autoshite - your car rental is our concern

Fresh from its MoT victory yesterday, the 620 is immediately being loaned out to an extremely trusted friend/colleague in desperate need  for 'as long as is necessary but I'll need it back for the FOTU', due to his 07 Mondy being totally fucking fucked big time mate, and likely heading off to the scrappers (no compression wotsoever in number 3).

The 620 is a little surplus to requirements at present as parent duties (250 mile round trip) already done this month so no immediate bargey waftiness required, plus matey has to commute from Chesterfield to Nottingham  every day- he's been doing it in a knackered old Clio courtesy car for the last week or so, and no-one deserves that.

The loan also eases the parking situation around here which is at 'critical mass' at present (not helped with my four) although it should ease off on Friday when my neighbours and their two cars (Zafira and a Focus) and a wagon (taking up two spaces) move out.

My mate is genuinely looking forward to some mid 1990s wafty barge action. He's checking his insurance to make sure he has fully comp cover to drive other cars as I've told him no dice otherwise.

Everythings fukin fucked, princess is running awful and dumping fuel from the carb, these SU HIF carbs are nothing but trouble so ordered new design floats that will hopefully solve the problem. Replaced all the 3 year old flexible pipes and hopefully all will be well when it goes back together.

I have a pair of SU HIFs in my MGB GT.

Been reading that the poppet valves in the throttle disc can go weak and cause rough running issues. Effectively becomes an air leak. Also the bimetallic strip can apparently loose it's properties and cause rough idling issues when warm. This causes it to be overlean when warm.

Pretty sure they are one of the major sources of the crap running I'm getting with the engine. Especially the idle that is all over the place. Pull up and sometimes it's 1500rpm, sometimes pull up and it's pretty much stalling. Even worse when warm. Also running like crap once hot too - feels and sounds like it's missing.

Dippy:  float needle valve was the issue on mine for that, more than once. Check the tip for wear/deformity before condeming the whole carb.  That said, I feel your pain, because they're an arse to take on and off.

Dozey:  Looks similar, I'll have to double check against what's on the car when I get chance.  Certainly a good bit more sensible on the price.

Vulg,

If your alternator is similar to that Lucas acr type dozy posted the link to, I’ve got a decent one here you can have if you want it for nowt?

It’s the same type my Capri has, I bought a recon one for that just because I wanted a spotless one! I kept the original as a spare, it’s a bit grubby but works perfectly fine. You might even be able to swap the good bits from it into your old one if it’s slightly different.

If you want it drop me a PM.

Am now bawz deep into replacing the head gasket on the Chevrolet Tacuma. Work halted due to shortage of tools, now rectified thanks to an eBay rattle gun (crankshaft pulley bolt, but needed one anyway) and some rounded Torx bolts on the timing belt rear cover. Extractors from Screwfix obtained. Work shall be continued tomorrow weather permitting. So much for a cheap car bought cheaply.....

Although I am learning a lot and living the dream I guess.

post-5532-0-68074100-1556105658_thumb.pngpost-5532-0-14123600-1556105732_thumb.pngpost-5532-0-28021800-1556105788_thumb.pngpost-5532-0-49982100-1556105868_thumb.png

After this only the head gasket fail on the MG ZT KV6 to tackle...... WCPGW.

Mrs Beard has been patiently funding the whole sorry saga thus far, but am expecting repercussions soon. Seven shite cars on a one shite car income doth not make a buttered parsnip. Or something..

Although the Honda Accord is ok at the moment... Shush. Don't want to tempt fate.

At the insistence of Lancaster Insurance, I had a Thatcham 2 immobiliser fitted to my T2 yesterday.

Apparently these vehicles are well known for being hot wired and driven off at high speed, or something.

I'd say I have just paid £210 for the inconvenience of bunging a dongle against an LED every time I want to fire it up.

Were it not for the annual premium of just £107.

On cleaning up the engine bay in the Princess to try and find any markings on the alternator without removing it (I couldn't, they must be on the blind side of it), I've discovered the only oil leaks are the O-ring for the distributor and the speedo cable, everything else is bone dry.  I'm actually pretty astonished by this.