The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

At the insistence of Lancaster Insurance, I had a Thatcham 2 immobiliser fitted to my T2 yesterday.

Apparently these vehicles are well known for being hot wired and driven off at high speed, or something.

I'd say I have just paid £210 for the inconvenience of bunging a dongle against an LED every time I want to fire it up.

Were it not for the annual premium of just £107.

They are laughably easy to steal. I always had physical protection on mine as well as electronic. A colleague at work broke the key for her T25 and it took me less than 2 minutes from starting to get it running using two fat paper clips. I had a wheel clamp that I used at home as too many stories of them disappearing unfortunately.

Am now bawz deep into replacing the head gasket on the Chevrolet Tacuma. Work halted due to shortage of tools, now rectified thanks to an eBay rattle gun (crankshaft pulley bolt, but needed one anyway) and some rounded Torx bolts on the timing belt rear cover. Extractors from Screwfix obtained. Work shall be continued tomorrow weather permitting. So much for a cheap car bought cheaply.....

Although I am learning a lot and living the dream I guess.

attachicon.gifimage.pngattachicon.gifimage.pngattachicon.gifimage.pngattachicon.gifimage.png

You are South Main Auto Channel... Tacuma $hite! ICMFP

ALSO... *Tool of the Week

...*workshop

On the road where my parents live (which is terminally middle class) there are two almost identical late green bay window T2s on two separate driveways. Both have at least one wheel clamp fitted at all times.

That sounds so sterile. These things should be rough and well used/loved. I am living in about 1980 of course.

Got a text from the local fellow Camry estate owner today, suggesting he's going to be putting it up for sale, or maybe even breaking it?!

26717327868_7ff5fec092_b.jpg

1993 Toyota Camry 2.2 GL Auto Estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

26717328548_47e80cb790_b.jpg

1993 Toyota Camry 2.2 GL Auto Estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I believe it's been on SORN without an MoT for some of the last year, don't know why he took it off the road. Mileage wasn't particularly high, and if it needs parts I may well be able to help....

Anyone on here interested? If so send me a PM and I'll find out more details.

They are laughably easy to steal. I always had physical protection on mine as well as electronic. A colleague at work broke the key for her T25 and it took me less than 2 minutes from starting to get it running using two fat paper clips. I had a wheel clamp that I used at home as too many stories of them disappearing unfortunately.

And they're normally taken away on the back of lorries anyway.

ah, but did they ask if it had one fitted, or if it had a working one fitted?

I wasn't paying attention, but I will listen in future.

Immobilisers/alarms seem to have a high failure rate as they get older in my experience.

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, especially when I saw that the guarantee was for two years, not for as long as I kept the car.

Will it fail to immobilise? Or, and I guess I know the answer, fail to switch off?

To be honest, most alarm and immobiliser issues I've seen have been down to the quality (or rather lack of) of the installation - I've seen some truly shocking so called "professional" installations.

Immobilisers themselves are normally fairly reliable as there's not a great deal to go wrong - alarms are more likely to be problematic as they age as sensors and siren batteries begin to give issues.

They aren't proper hailstones,

This hail storm wrote everyone's cars off in my mums village and smashed all their house roof's, I'm glad I had excess protection on the hire car that day!

https://youtu.be/2cwLeGjwsII

Imagine being caught it it with no shelter, we didn't dare go out

Er yeah, fuck that. I reckon you'd end up dead if one of those clonked you right.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Weather news - my car now has £500 of dents it didn't have 5 minutes ago.

And no, my phone doesn't have a potato camera. It's actually a turnip.

That doesn't look much fun :( Gutted for you, and bricking it about getting home now eek :?

I knew my rear pads were wearing unevenly, but I didn't think it was that bad! The outer pad on the drivers side looked like this:

7f689a81e30368c46a589e9e2d44a3d6.jpg

And the inner was stuck solid and looked like this:

af8b94d17a620a70d69391f19bd903e5.jpg

Now it looks like this:

3b4f16942c630cd114330a45916478e7.jpg

All seems to be nice and free now, hopefully it stays like that! Ideally I'd like to change the calipers for ones that don't look like they've been in the north sea since 1996, but that's a job for another day.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Replaced the reverse light switch on the filthy passat. A bit awkward as it is in the kind of position whereby access from both above and below is limited. Part cost £26 - I now have working reverse lights and parking sensors.

Weather news - my car now has £500 of dents it didn't have 5 minutes ago.https://youtu.be/B3ibZoa4lao

And no, my phone doesn't have a potato camera. It's actually a turnip.

I don't know how fast weather travels but I got caught in something like that at 6.30 in Shipley when I was riding my bike.

Thankfully I was next to a train station so hid in the bike shelter for 15 minutes till it passed.

NIMBY-ism gone mad, I tells ya

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/travelling-horse-fair-expected-arrive-2783756

OMGGYPSYKAOS

About 3 miles from me.

Not sure I can cope with scenes like this

0_BRITAIN-TRADITION-FAIR.jpg

I must write to:

• Daily Mail
  • Watchdog
  • Martin Lewis
  • My MP
  • The Queen
  • God

To express my outrage

Recently discovered the Hubnut channel,  hours of entertainment. Well done Ian and keep up the vids on random chod.  I haven't watched normal TV in about 2 weeks.

Exciting car news, the 75 needs a new NSF tyre, and the annual NS indicator fail that is quickly cured by some use of electrical contact cleaner in the front bulb holder.  

I had another enquiry for the Rover recently, the answer is still no not for sale but nice to be asked I suppose.

NIMBY-ism gone mad, I tells ya

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/travelling-horse-fair-expected-arrive-2783756

OMGGYPSYKAOS

About 3 miles from me.

Not sure I can cope with scenes like this

0_BRITAIN-TRADITION-FAIR.jpg

I must write to:

• Daily Mail
  • Watchdog
  • Martin Lewis
  • My MP
  • The Queen
  • God

To express my outrage

The problem is what they forget to take with them when they leave.

I'd post a list of what was left on Bills lane field, a couple of years back, but rather than that I'll tell you that it's all clean now and the scorched earth has grass now, and I would feel confident this year picking the wild blackberries and raspberries and apples that grow around the edge of the field.

The problem is what they forget to take with them when they leave.

I'd post a list of what was left on Bills lane field, a couple of years back, but rather than that I'll tell you that it's all clean now and the scorched earth has grass now, and I would feel confident this year picking the wild blackberries and raspberries and apples that grow around the edge of the field.

It's on the local.news

Thing is, this is on private land, and the landowner is not arsed. Mind you, I agree the extra traffic may cause some overspill.

I've heard conversations in Bulwell today like 'watch out for the gyppos' and 'nail everything down the gyppos are coming'. 

Completely unwarranted IMHO.

I might wander up as a guest and have a looksee when it's all set up.

Thing is, this is on private land, and the landowner is not arsed. Mind you, I agree the extra traffic may cause some overspill.

I've heard conversations in Bulwell today like 'watch out for the gyppos' and 'nail everything down the gyppos are coming'.

Completely unwarranted IMHO.

I might wander up as a guest and have a looksee when it's all set up.

I'm as generous and politically correct as the next social worker with a day old guardian lining my cat litter tray, so I do wonder how these stereotypes come to exist.

Nobody ever says "Watch out for the travelling folk, they'll have repaired the church roof, helped us win village of the year by vigorous planting of summer bedding plants, and helped the school to get extra funding for the arts department, before they just pack up and leave, without a trace."

Why is that?

I'm as generous and politically correct as the next social worker with a day old guardian lining my cat litter tray, so I do wonder how these stereotypes come to exist.

Nobody ever says "Watch out for the travelling folk, they'll have repaired the church roof, helped us win village of the year by vigorous planting of summer bedding plants, and helped the school to get extra funding for the arts department, before they just pack up and leave, without a trace."

Why is that?

To be fair. I once went to TotalVauxhall 2004 or was it 2005 at santapod.

I am no illusion that much of Wales is inhabited by Nova Driving Scum bags, who clearly (No offence to BrownNova) need a short sharp shock (with 3 phase high voltage)

Oh so judgemental when you keep me awake, with your fighting and playing football at 4 am. Twats.

Jesus wept Santa Pod, it should be renamed Santa PondLife. I went to Performance Vauxhall there and while I made the best of it, the majority of folk there were just scumbags with no real interest in cars, or washing.

Oh and it's not in Wales BTW, it's near Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.